Pwning Scrubs. The Diary of a Hardcore Gamer

• esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Hello guys,

After much lurking I decided the time might be ripe to form my own blog. I figured it would be a laugh and might help me to concentrate a little more on my game :) .

I am an 18 year old student of Computer Science from Northern Ireland. As the title suggests, I was involved with gaming for many years. I originally played a lot of WC3 and DoTA before swapping to WoW when I was 15. I did quite well at the game, and shortly before I turned 18 I learned about the profitability side of online poker from Athene (search him on YouTube, he became a Stars online pro, SN Chiren80). As I got interested in poker, my interest in WoW began to severely decrease and soon I was only playing to spend time with my friends online. Eventually my guild disbanded, and I realized I no longer had a reason to play the game.

Poker wise I got $25 free from a PokerStrategy competitor in April this year. Of course, as they had no strategy articles, I lost it all swiftly, and found PokerStrategy. I got my free 50 on William Hill, but after playing there for a while I decided I much preffered Party, and so I am there grinding my ass off at 2NL cash for a roll :) . I prefer playing the 6max variety but party doesnt offer any tables of it at my limit, so il be grinding FR for a while yet :P

I plan to post here after any interesting sessions occur, feel free to post any questions, or suggestions on my play :)
  • 24 replies
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi esuohdla,

Welcome to our blog section :) I'm sure you'll enjoy it here. Many of us have a blog because it's easy to keep track of your game and share your thoughts with everyone, get the discussion going.

Computer Science :f_confused:
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hello esuohdla,

Welcome to the blogging section :)

Good luck with this and your poker journey and hope you find our educational content is helpful.

It's a shame Party don't have NL2 6max, but FR is probably the best place to start off anyways :)

Gonna post some goals and the likes?

All the best,
      Gary
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      Gonna post some goals and the likes?
      Yeah, I hate posting goals related to WR/winnings as I feel under pressure to achieve that, yet it can be out of my control (bad luck and such). Id like to play at least 15k hands in the month of December, on Party. If I achieve a winrate I believe is the best I can manage, il up the tables and do 40k in January. Quite often I also find I just cant be bothered to review my sessions unless I have very interesting spots.

So goals by end of December:

>> 15k hands of NL2
      >> If BR exceeds 20 stacks after that, then shots of fishy tables at NL4
      >> When 30 stacks completely move up
      >> Post here with interesting spots for comments
      >> Review each session
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Originally posted by IngridN
      Yeah, first year so basically small amounts of anything involving a computer. Next year starting to specialize in a specific field in the industry.
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by esuohdla
      Originally posted by IngridN
      Yeah, first year so basically small amounts of anything involving a computer. Next year starting to specialize in a specific field in the industry.
      is this the school where they teach you to be a hacker? :D

well anything related to computer and especially to computer science is interesting to me so wish you good luck! :)

looking forward to your updates!
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Had a few hour break in between classes so decided to play a short session after lunch. Didnt go so well, overplayed some TP type hands, was lucky my monsters got action so I didnt lose a mental amount. Have 1 interesting spot though that I will post after lecture.

Hands: 176
      $ Won: -1.08
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      CO:
      $2.00
      BU:
      $2.22
      SB (Hero):
      $3.17
      BB:
      $0.80
      MP1:
      $2.50
      MP2:
      $1.10
      MP3:
      $4.77

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, Q.
      3 folds, CO calls $0.02, BU folds, Hero raises to $0.10, BB folds, CO calls $0.08.

Flop: ($0.22) A, 6, 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.12, CO calls $0.12.

Turn: ($0.46) 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.30, CO calls $0.30.

River: ($1.06) 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.50, CO raises to $1.48, Hero ????

Villain was semi mental. Only had 52 hands on him so stats are almost pointless, but the hands and bluffs I saw him take to showdown, or show after opponent folds made me certain he is capable of bluffing that river. Having said that he is also capable of having 86, A6, A8, A5, 66, 88, and probably some wierd 5x hands that made 2pair. Really not sure where I stand against him. Any thoughts?
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      What a horrible day.... So swingy and generally annoying

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      CO (Hero):
      $2.00
      BU:
      $2.00
      SB:
      $1.55
      BB:
      $2.03
      UTG2:
      $2.14
      MP1:
      $2.71
      MP2:
      $2.41
      MP3:
      $2.91

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q, Q.
      3 folds, MP3 raises to $0.08, Hero calls $0.08, 3 folds, 2 folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.19) 4, 4, T (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero bets $0.14, MP3 calls $0.14.

Turn: ($0.47) Q (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero bets $0.22, MP3 calls $0.22.

River: ($0.91) T (2 players)
      MP3 bets $0.43, Hero raises to $1.56, MP3 calls $1.13.

Final Pot: $4.03.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a full-house, queens full of tens(Q Q).
      MP3 shows four of a kind, tens(T T).

MP3 wins with four of a kind, tens(T T).

This came after 3 of my sets were busted. One was coolered and the other two got it all in vs flushdraws, had to quit after that so I didnt get the volume I wanted.

Hands: 559
      $ Won: -3.32
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      Ive got a gaming background, from professional.

Im more of a FPS shooter kind of guy, and im doing Game tech (basically computer science, with design and development involved)

Im in Birmingham uni though, so a far trek ha

Add me on skype - gb_damian18

and we can go through some hands together, and help each other out? Its always useful to show each other the ropes and have someone to talk to, and hopefully crush NL2 together?

Have a look at my blog to if you want :)

The First Real Month
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Nice blog man, added.

Internet has been down recently but got in some play over the weekend. Miles off my 15k target but I guess il motor on and try to get as close as possible.

Total hands played this month: 2293
      $ Won: 11.59
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Yay, managed to be sick over christmas, so not only did it damage the amount of drinking I was able to do, but my volume went way downhill aswell.

As its new years eve, I wont be playing any more today, but il upload a monthly graph if someone can tell me how to? Im using HEM.

Hands: 4237
      $ Won: 24.04
      BB/100: 28.37

I actually think people are bad enough that I could sustain 15-20BB/100, though I doubt il keep coming up with 28/100.

Very fun and lol hand:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      BB:
      $2.00
      UTG2:
      $2.15
      MP1:
      $2.37
      MP2:
      $6.01
      MP3:
      $3.90
      CO:
      $1.57
      BU (Hero):
      $2.25
      SB:
      $2.00

Preflop: Hero is BU with 6, 5.
      UTG2 calls $0.02, 3 folds, CO calls $0.02, Hero calls $0.02, SB calls $0.01, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.1) A, 4, 8 (5 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, UTG2 checks, CO bets $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, SB calls $0.10, BB folds, UTG2 folds.

Turn: ($0.4) 7 (3 players)
      SB checks, CO bets $0.25, Hero calls $0.25, SB calls $0.25.

River: ($1.15) 7 (3 players)
      SB bets $0.80, CO raises to $1.20(All-In), Hero raises to $1.88(All-In), SB calls $0.83.

Final Pot: $5.86.
      Results follow:

SB shows a full-house, eights full of sevens(8 8).
      Hero shows a straight flush, eight high(6 5).

Hero wins with a straight flush, eight high(6 5).

Both villains had a full house, other had 44. Called both streets since raising would just fold out any hand that I beat, so im fairly sure calling is +EV. After the raises on the river I just shoved to put the SB all in, since I was sure he would call for all he had left. Biggest pot ive won so far :)
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Goals for January:
      > Hit 20000 hands
      > Move up to NL4 as soon as roll allows
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Think an update is long overdue, I kind of forgot :P

Have been playing a lot of tourneys (45/90) on stars, was doing quite well but losing 15 in a row isnt all that uncommon, but it affects my play insanely badly, at least with cash I can just stop when I feel shit but with tourneys I always seem to have 5 more open when I feel like shutting down.

So im straight back to NLSH on Stars, I have a bankroll of $100 that im comfortable playing NL5 with, but I plan to play 10k hands of NL2 to make sure im not out of practice or anything stupid like that.
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Got bored of NL2, so I moved every cent I have on any poker room to stars, just about enough for NL5 :)

BR: 123.76

Will take a 5BI shot today and see how that goes.
    • ClimaxingWalrus
      ClimaxingWalrus
      Bronze

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      CO:
      $2.00
      BU:
      $2.22
      SB (Hero):
      $3.17
      BB:
      $0.80
      MP1:
      $2.50
      MP2:
      $1.10
      MP3:
      $4.77

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, Q.
      3 folds, CO calls $0.02, BU folds, Hero raises to $0.10, BB folds, CO calls $0.08.

Flop: ($0.22) A, 6, 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.12, CO calls $0.12.

Turn: ($0.46) 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.30, CO calls $0.30.

River: ($1.06) 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.50, CO raises to $1.48, Hero ????

Villain was semi mental. Only had 52 hands on him so stats are almost pointless, but the hands and bluffs I saw him take to showdown, or show after opponent folds made me certain he is capable of bluffing that river. Having said that he is also capable of having 86, A6, A8, A5, 66, 88, and probably some wierd 5x hands that made 2pair. Really not sure where I stand against him. Any thoughts?
      Against 99% of ppl at the micro's fold ppl just aren't bluffraising the river enough to justify calling, against this villain I would expect a call to be at least break even. I would bet bigger on the turn especially vs a fish, like at least 0.40 or pot because if he's calling he's calling any amount. He has so many pair+gutter or pair+open enders that may have even picked up a fd that he's not folding. And on the river if he's not going to be bluffing with 67, 69, 75 type hands or random spazz I actually wouldn't be looking to bluffcatch.

I strongly recommend leaving Stars once your first deposit bonus is up and moving to 888 Poker (super soft) then move to a site with rakeback when ur done with that (would recommend microgaming or PKR. PKR is as soft as 888 and has I think ~30% rakeback through pokerstrategy). Rakeback/having an active first deposit bonus equivalent to rakeback is so essential to moving out of the micro's quickly.

Tips
      -dont play more than 4 tables till ur crushing NL50
      -dont play when ur tired
      -instead of having a goal like "play x hands today" have a goal to try and play your A-game for as long as possible

Why I recommend 888

Pacific, $0.15/$0.30 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 8 Players

UTG+2: $31.58 (105.3 bb)
      MP1: $14.37 (47.9 bb)
      MP2: $20 (66.7 bb)
      Hero (MP3): $30 (100 bb)
      CO: $84.50 (281.7 bb)
      BTN: $19.36 (64.5 bb)
      SB: $22.25 (74.2 bb)
      BB: $97.12 (323.7 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A 4
      UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls $0.30, MP2 folds, Hero raises to $1.20, CO calls $1.20, 2 folds, BB calls $0.90, MP1 calls $0.90

Flop: ($4.95) 3 Q A (4 players)
      BB checks, MP1 checks, Hero bets $3, CO calls $3, 2 folds

Turn: ($10.95) 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $10.95, Hero raises to $25.80 and is all-in, CO calls $14.85

River: ($62.55) K (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $62.55 pot ($3.12 rake)
      Final Board: 3 Q A 5 K
      Hero showed A 4 and won $59.43 ($29.43 net)
      CO showed 7 5 and lost (-$30.00 net)

Pacific, $0.15/$0.30 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 9 Players

UTG+2: $27.15 (90.5 bb)
      MP1: $30 (100 bb)
      MP2: $36.69 (122.3 bb)
      MP3: $20 (66.7 bb)
      Hero (CO): $57.93 (193.1 bb)
      BTN: $58.41 (194.7 bb)
      SB: $34.17 (113.9 bb)
      BB: $22.56 (75.2 bb)
      UTG+1: $92.17 (307.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q Q
      3 folds, MP2 calls $0.30, MP3 folds, Hero raises to $1.35, BTN calls $1.35, 3 folds

Flop: ($3.45) Q 5 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.88, BTN raises to $12.09, Hero raises to $30.51, BTN calls $18.42

Turn: ($64.47) A (2 players)
      Hero bets $26.07 and is all-in, BTN calls $26.07

River: ($116.61) 2 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $116.61 pot ($4.00 rake)
      Final Board: Q 5 9 A 2
      Hero showed Q Q and won $112.61 ($54.68 net)
      BTN showed 8 9 and lost (-$57.93 net)

GL Crushing :s_cool:
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Hey guys, been a little while. Thanks for your post and tips Climaxing, if im not out of the micros by the time my FDB is over il probably move to another site with RB, maybe 888 for their FDB then on to merge when ive cleared that. I really like Stars so whenever im playing stakes I can comfortably hit SN at il likely be playing there permenantly.

Its been an interesting few weeks, continuing to play NL5SH and ive played a bit of zoom SH aswell, though I find the regular tables more profitable as it is much easier to develop reads on specific people, plus the zoom tables are generally tight as hell. My BR is currently at $189 and I am heavily considering a 3BI shot at NL10SH should I reach 200 soon. Its a little looser BRM than I would normally apply but I am willing to move down quick should it not work out so I think it will be fine.

I still have a nice chunk of bonus to clear, so il be on Stars a little longer. Really enjoy the software in comparison to WH or PP, and the $0.02 hypers are excellent when im tired and just fancy a quick laugh.

On another note, my HEM trial expires soon. Im tempted to buy with the offers on PS, but im really not sure weather to go for the small stakes or fork out the $55 for the pro version. I can afford either but it just feels wierd spending so much on software (note: $55 is my average food expenditure for a week). What do you guys think?
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      On another note, my HEM trial expires soon. Im tempted to buy with the offers on PS, but im really not sure weather to go for the small stakes or fork out the $55 for the pro version. I can afford either but it just feels wierd spending so much on software (note: $55 is my average food expenditure for a week). What do you guys think?
      First try out PT4 beta and then buy. I bought HEM 2 a while ago and after PT4 beta I haven't used HEM2 for 2 months and I pretty much wasted money. So don't make the same mistake, the offer is valid untill April 15th so you won't miss it.
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Cheers man, on a side note if I buy either of the software once will I be able to use it on multiple PCs? My grinding is prity much split between my desktop and laptop.
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      Both software's can be used on 2 PC's. But because you are split between then the easiest way would be to use HEM2 cloud database so you always get the same hands on both PC's. Poker tracker 4 doesn't have this cloud sync, but I have heard people use dropbox and store their database on there so they can access it on any PC and have the same hands.