Luck of the Irish

Bronze
      Hello all,

My name is Kevin. I have decided to start up a blog. I recently started up a personal poker diary charting all my experiences but thought it better to share some of them instead of keeping them to myself.

I am 23 years old and from Ireland. I finished college about six months ago and qualified as a mechanical engineer. I was working in a dead end job in a factory for a couple of months but then I dislocated my kneecap playing sports so I have been out of work for a few weeks. I have spent this time trying to work on my poker with mixed results. I hope to be back to work soon, Christmas is coming after all.

In terms of poker I started off in home games and then opened an account with Ladbrokes where I moved up from NL2 to NL4. I then decided to switch to Partypoker as there is more traffic at the NL4 FR games. I am currently in the beginners school and have just come to the end of my free HEM2 trial so I have to fork out some cash soon. Unfortunately I am down 10 BIs at the moment.

I must admit to being frustrated at my losses but I am getting more experience every day. I have played around 40,000 hands altogether so I'm still a novice.

Anyway I hope this isn't too long and feel free to comment.

Oh and just a small note on the title, I know poker isn't gambling no matter how it is perceived in the wider world. I do enjoy betting on soccer and horses but just for a little fun and never outside my means.
  • 60 replies
      Bronze
      Ok just finished a 1k session and I'm up $8 playing six tables. Pretty pleased and I have loads of interesting hands to post. Was happy with my temperament too and didnt really get the urge to tilt. Gonna review some hands, watch some Seinfeld(cant get enough atm) and then hit the bed.

Just read a little of TwiceTs blog too. Those guys are living the dream. Trying to stay off the drink at the moment though serious motivation killer.
      Bronze
      Played 1000 hands again tonight was down $6 by the end of it. Bit disappointed after last night. I wasn't quite as focused for some reason. Hopefully I wont have the same problem tomorrow.

I didn't lose any really big hands just leaked away the money on small hands and missed flops and that. Hopefully it is down to a lack of good hands rather than my poor play.

Even though I always look at my balance after a session I am becoming less result orientated and I am concentrating on good play rather than growing my bankroll. I'm doing very little study at the moment though which has to be addressed.

I backed a winning horse today Fingal Bay was its name and its definitely one to watch. The only horse I backed today as well which is always a good feeling. Hopefully I might get a couple more winners tomorrow and hopefully Manchester United will do the business against Aston Villa.

Thats all from me for now
      Bronze
      Played about 1300 hands tonight was down 6$ again. Got it in with Kings against Aces and called a big river bet with Jacks when the villain had Queens. Overall I'm feeling a lot more comfortable with my game and I'm thinking less and less about the money anyway.

I won 25 euro on 3 horses today so I'm happy enough with my days work.

My main goal in poker is to eventually make a decent income from it. However in the short term I would like to move up the levels and gain as much experience as possible. I am trying to follow the example set by Dusty Scmidt of getting as much on table experience as possible while studying. I am probably grinding too much in comparison to studying at the moment but I will try to put the head down and read some articles next week. I read one about advanced open raising today which was useful.

Anyway thats all for now feel free to comment and thanks for reading :D
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Make sure you don't think of studying as reading articles or watching videos. Sitting in bed and thinking about concepts can be more of studying than watching a video like it was a movie. You should bring your "A game" to your study time as well. I'm speaking from experience... used to rocket through vids without really thinking about what the coach talks about there...
      Bronze
      Hi Emanuel

I understand what you mean I sometimes find myself zoning out when watching a video or checking how long I have left to watch. I do spend a lot of time thinking about concepts, say while travelling or before I go to sleep so hopefully this will stand to me.

I've seen a couple of people saying "I've read all the silver articles, all the gold articles looking forward to the platinum ones" or something like that and I wonder do they really know and understand all the concepts in these articles or are they just reading them passively so they can get them finished.

Anyway thanks for the reply
      Bronze

This is my graph to date. I take heart from my showdown and all-in EV lines but my non showdown line is very low! I've been told to expect this at NL4 with plenty calling stations but I still don't see where my profit is going to come from
      Bronze
      I played about 1600 hands today and I'm up around $12.50. I made 14.50 in the session I played tonight. Really felt I played well and of course hit plenty of good cards but more importantly made far less mistakes and kept calm when I lost a couple of big pots especially to unusual hands shall we say.

Its a great feeling when you complete a session like that and I didn't want it to end. I was getting tired and the tables were emptying so I decided to call it a night. I bought HEM2 today which I am delighted with. I downloaded the trial version leakbuster app too but I doubt I will be buying it. Two leaks it found were my low VPIP(not hard to spot I know) and giving up too easily in the small blind. So tonight I started calling more in position and playing more aggressively in the big blind. I liked playing a few more hands as folding so much( I was playing like 12% of my hands) can be boring and makes me impatient for a good hand to come along which I then overplay at times.

I also won 16 euro on two horses today so it was a very productive day for me :f_cool: . Nice to see the graph heading in the right direction anyway. I'm going for a check up on my knee on tuesday too,hopefully it will be good news
      Bronze
      I played over 2000 hands toady for a profit of $7.50. It was a session full of swings and I made one horrible call early on with two-pair against a straight. I was pretty pissed with myself for a while and I also got sucked out on with an overpair against a guy who called all in with 10, 4 suited on a dry board. I won my money back off him though so happy days.

The end of my session was crazy I got Kings twice and Aces once in my last 10 hands. I got all-in pre with kings against a 50 BB stack with aces and I rivered a King. Pretty sick I know but hey it's happened to me plenty of times too. Then I hit a set of aces and my opponent had two pair Aces and Jacks. We got it in on the flop and the turn was a jack I'm sure he thought he had it when he hit the full house. I was pretty much breaking even up until then so it was a nice end to the session.

Read an article on blind defence which was very interesting and useful. I might read it again before bed just to get the concepts clear in my head. I didn't back any horses today I think I'm going to take some money out of my account and I'm going to wait for some proper racing next weekend.

I've been listening to DJ Shadow recently. Pretty cool
    • 1984ioc
      1984ioc
      Bronze
      Hey Kevin.Good luck in your poker career bud.What part of Ireland are you from.I'm from and living in Cork at the moment though spent a bit of time in Germany as well.

The jumps season is well under way and while i am not mad into racing i love the big festivals like Cheltenham and the big races like the King George etc. Flat racing does nothing for me tbh.Great to see Kauto win the other week and i hope he has a great season to finish off his career.

Ian
    • shane0878
      shane0878
      Bronze
      Hello fellow Paddys. :club:
      Nice read.
      You mentioned you play 6 tables, me too.
      Any less and I get bored and any more gets a bit much.
      You didn't mention how much you lost on the UTD match;-)
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Can't believe I've missed this over the past few days :facepalm:

Welcome to the blogging section Kevin!

Hope all is going well with your game and I've no doubt you will start to see some huge improvements whilst you take part in the beginners course.

Good to see some fellow Irish members around the place too.

Best wishes lads,
      Gary
      an unfortunate Rossie :D
      Bronze
      Well lads nice to find some fellow Irish Pokerstrategists,

I'm from Limerick but don't hold it against me! Ya Ian great to see Kauto back. Watch out for his half brother Kauto Stone. Second to Sizing Europe at the weekend in a race that was too short for him on too hard ground. Could win a big race over the winter. I've no love for the flat either but some of the big days over the summer are good to watch.

Ya 6 tables suits me perfectly Shane I use the stacking feature on Party it can handle 11 tables altogether but I doubt I'll ever play that many. I didn't bet on the UTD match but they won anyway sure. I just support them. Don't hold that against me either :D .

Hi Gary thanks for the welcome. Ya the poker school is really helping me. Feel free to comment away on this page lads, put in your own results and whatever, it could benefit us all.

Anyway I played about 850 hands tonight for a profit of $7.50. Happy enough but I was up $16 at one stage until this happened

Party, $0.02/$0.04 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 7 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP3: $5.30 (132.5 bb)
      SB: $2.34 (58.5 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $13.10 (327.5 bb)
      MP1: $5.67 (141.8 bb)
      MP2: $8.15 (203.8 bb)
      CO: $7.82 (195.5 bb)
      BB: $4.27 (106.7 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with Q Q
      3 folds, CO raises to $0.16, Hero raises to $0.48, 2 folds, CO calls $0.32

Flop: ($1.02) 2 6 8 (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $0.72, CO raises to $1.56, Hero raises to $3, CO raises to $7.34 and is all-in, Hero calls $4.34

Turn: ($15.70) 5 (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($15.70) K (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $15.70 pot ($0.78 rake)
      Final Board: 2 6 8 5 K
      Hero showed Q Q and lost (-$7.82 net)
      CO showed 2 2 and won $14.92 ($7.10 net)

Some sickner, cant believe he called pre-flop when I 3 bet. Honestly put him on 99,1010,JJ. Had played a good few hands with him and he didnt seem very good so I just went ahead and called. Ah well its a learning experience I suppose. I quit soon after that I don't think I was in the right state of mind to make any more good decisions.

On the bright side I've played 3 profitable sessions in a row so I'm happy enough. Went to hospital today to get the brace off my leg after dislocating my kneecap. Just have a knee support on now so I'm back to work next week. Not sure if I'm too happy about that but it was good to get the brace off. Something similar to this :D
      Bronze
      I played over 2000 hands today for a profit of $4. Happy enough but I started to get bored at certain times because I wasnt getting any hands and certain decisions are becoming automatic for me. I skimmed over an article about online tells but I will read something more relevant to the small stakes tomorrow.

Man Utd got knocked out of the champions league tonight. I'm sickened. On the bright side we can now concentrate on the league and fergie might realise its time to get rid of a few players and bring in some fresh talent. I put 5 euro on both teams to score in the united match and Napoli to win. Got 16 back, its some consolation.

Does anyone know how to delete the posts above? I'm not sure what happened. Cheers
    • 1984ioc
      1984ioc
      Bronze
      Just ask the mods to delete the posts bud.I'm sure Gary will do it when he pops in next.

Regards United i am absolutely delighted.You should pop into the sports forum sometimes for a bit of fun.

Sports forum

Can you accept friends request as well which i sent as want to ask you a few things about HM2
      Bronze
      Thanks for that. just accepted there so ask away. I'm no expert and have only been using it a month but sure we'll see
      Bronze
      I played 1600 hands today and made $7. I really think I am crushing this limit now and just need to put in the hours to build my bankroll so I can take shots at NL10, I didnt do any study today and ended up going for pints. 3 euro pints of Tuborg not so bad.

Need to play at least 1400 tomorrow to cover myself for the week but I might do a really long session because I'm not planning on doing anything for the weekend except getting langers
    • 1984ioc
      1984ioc
      Bronze
      Hey bud,glad all going well poker wise.Will talk to you about HM2 after the weekend ok.Hope you enjoyed the match on Wednesday night ;)

Enjoy the Europa league. :coolface:
      Bronze
      Jaysus you really are an ABU, I think it might benefit us in the long run. It's time to get rid of the deadwood in the squad and bring in some quality. There are some promising if temperamental youngsters there too so all is not lost.

Have you stopped the sports betting blog? I read some of it there. Have you read "Beat the Bookies" by John Duggan. Good read but I've realised that the work involved in being a profitable sports gambler isn't worth the hassle.

You should read this article about Harry Findlay

Looking forward to the epic thursday nights :f_cool:

Couple of hands from my last session

Party, $0.02/$0.04 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 7 Players

Hero (MP2): $4.11 (102.8 bb)
      BTN: $4.01 (100.2 bb)
      SB: $3.96 (99 bb)
      BB: $0.95 (23.8 bb)
      MP1: $4.21 (105.3 bb)
      MP3: $1.94 (48.5 bb)
      CO: $1.14 (28.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A K
      MP1 folds, Hero raises to $0.16, 3 folds, SB raises to $0.28, BB folds, Hero calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.60) 5 9 9 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.60) 9 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

River: ($0.60) 3 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.24, Hero calls $0.24

Results: $1.08 pot ($0.05 rake)
      Final Board: 5 9 9 9 3
      Hero showed A K and won $1.03 ($0.51 net)
      SB showed A Q and lost (-$0.52 net)

Pretty proud of this call. Didnt put him on a pair since he checked the turn. Best he had was AK imo so I called

Party, $0.02/$0.04 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 9 Players

BB: $4.35 (108.7 bb)
      Hero (SB): $4.02 (100.5 bb)
      BTN: $8.74 (218.5 bb)
      MP1: $3.71 (92.8 bb)
      UTG+1: $4.02 (100.5 bb)
      MP3: $4.14 (103.5 bb)
      MP2: $4.02 (100.5 bb)
      UTG+2: $3.90 (97.5 bb)
      CO: $4.30 (107.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A 8
      7 folds, Hero raises to $0.16, BB raises to $0.56, Hero raises to $1.92, BB folds

Results: $1.12 pot
      Hero mucked A 8 and won $1.12 ($0.56 net)

I knew this guy was a pokerstrategy member and I had stole his blinds a few times and figured he was sick of it so when he 3bet I decide to bluff 4 bet. I told him on chat not long after that too. Probably should have kept my mouth shut though
      Bronze
      I played about 2400 hands today for an overall loss of $2.50. I played terrible at times and should have been down $10 according to EV. I got my money in bad a good few times and had some real trouble laying down hands. I was playing 7 tables and that may have contributed but I will try to keep playing 7 for the time being.

I played around 11,500 hands this week or around 30 hours. I should have done about 7 hours study but I'd say I did about 3 so I will have to make up for that on sunday or monday.

I lost 13 euro today on horses but hope to make some money tomorrow and sunday.

A local horse called knockfierna is running sunday in Cork. Should have a very good chance