[NL2-NL10] 9-9 played good vs donk

• ilovemagic
      the only reason i dont bet flop to start pot building is because this guy is a donk and has been bluffing at pots IP. here i got lucky and he actually had a hand worth throwing most of his stack into. I think the check on flop is what seals his fate here. the reason i post this is i feel i might have been able to play for stacks if i had bet the flop, or more on river, but i dont want him folding hands like KK or QQ in this situation. ALSO not pushing on river and just reraising like i did leaving such few chips behind me can give away my hand strength to a good player who is paying attention to my bets as well, and going all in may have raised his bluff alarm and insta called my raise all in?

Poker Stars $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players - View hand 1541081
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Hero (SB): $7.98
      BB: $19.45
      UTG: $5.44
      CO: $12.31
      BTN: $5.17

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is SB with 9 :diamond: 9 :club:
      1 fold, CO raises to $0.15, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.13, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.35) 9 :heart: A :club: A :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.25, Hero calls $0.25

Turn: ($0.85) 7 :spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks

River: ($0.85) 3 :club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.54, CO raises to $2.45, Hero raises to $6.60, CO calls $4.15
  • 7 replies
    • veriz
      Hello ilovemagic,

Doubt that we are getting it away here. He may easily even have worse Ax hands here and just trips. Nice hand!

Another option while being OOP I might even just Check/Raise it right on the flop and get value from maybe overpairs since if he doesn't have a hand he wont pay much either.

Best Regards.
    • Tuvoc
      Since veris already did this im just gota make it short !
      I would still slow the flop but bet on the turn or if he raises c bet his raise.!
      This is a good hand enough to go all in with a weak player at least from mine perspective!
    • ilovemagic
      i wasnt scared at all that i may have had the worst hand. I knew i had the best hand and wanted to stick all my chips in but i wasnt sure what he had..for all i knew he couldve had 10-10 and wanted to bluff/fold if i raised. he raised preflop and had not done that very much so the only hand he couldve had was a-9s or a-7s but even still that was not my concern. my concern was trying to not get him to fold, but trying to extract maximum value out of the hand in case he didnt have the A, or 7-7 or 3-3.
    • FlashDavin
      The mindset that has taken me from a losing player (when i used to think "gah everyone folds to my aces preflop when i raise so I'll limp) and now a winning player is this, "They have to have 2nd best hand when you have a monster or there's no value anyways."

Sure against certain players (this seems ok here) it's smart to slowplay. However, on most boards you just have to make a typical bet and hope he has a hand as well. Not going all-in on the river to me seems like you're losing big time value. Lots of donks and fish will chase those trip aces with a weak kicker to their grave. If he has any type of ace there's no way by going all in you'll scare him off his hand here I don't think.

Make him pay!
    • ilovemagic
      agreed. so take a stab at the flop and pray to god he raises me, and maybe we can even get it in on that flop perhaps. i really like your mindset going into a hand like this, especially against the unknown. but i really thought i had a great read on this guy, perhaps i didnt or maybe he was smarter then i thought just calling my bet on the river, although why he checks the turn is beyond me. actually the way he played the hand postflop is beyond me...its like he knew he was behind but had to play the hand anyways.
    • eXtremeACE
      actually the way he played the hand postflop is beyond me

Could you tell us what did he show off in the end? :P

Best regards,
    • ilovemagic
      for gods sake i thought i did I'm sorry!! he showed A-Q.