FLOP ($1.40) 9:spade: 9:diamond: K:club:

Hero checks, BTN bets $1.20, Hero calls $1.20

TURN ($3.80) 9:spade: 9:diamond: K:club: 3:heart:

Hero checks, BTN checks

RIVER ($3.80) 9:spade: 9:diamond: K:club: 3:heart: A:diamond:

Hero checks, BTN bets $2.40, Hero calls $2.40
  • 2 replies
    • luizsilveira
      Hi, wnbMG. I'll give my 2c here if you don't mind.

I would call everytime with KJ off suit from the small blind. It depends a bit on who are the players involved, and who is the big blind (if he raises too much pre, this is more clearly a fold). I think if they were suited it's better since they have better playability. But calling some times to defend your blinds is not big mistake also.

You've hit your flop and it won't usually get much better than this with KJ. I like your play on flop and turn, playing way ahead/way behind. There is no problem in giving free cards to your opponent as in this case he is either already ahead or will hardly improve.

Unfortunately, one of the few bad cards hit on the river. Now I think your river depends a lot on your opponent. If your opponent is very aggressive you can still play check/call and expect to be ahead sometimes, as he will use the A as a "scare card" to try to bluff you. But if our opponent is a bit weak here usually I think I prefer to bet (and of course fold to a raise).

It turns our hand a bit on a bluff, but the thing is: since your opponent checked the turn, he seldom has a strong hand. Really, really unlikely he has a 9 - but he has to take into account you might. So you can expect him to fold sometimes a KQ or a KJ too (which is good, since we would split).

If your opponent is a bit of a calling station he can still call with hands like TT-QQ which decided to pot control since the board was a bit ugly for them.

All in all, what happens is if your opponent has JJ or even QQ he will check again most of the time to get the free showdown (so you only win what's already in the pot); but if he has the A, you will probably call anyway and lose money.

My bottom line is: Calling the river can't be too big a mistake since you can't expect much more than this by calling KJo from preflop (calling preflop to give up to easily postflop is a bigger mistake imo). But I would still prefer to bet this river against most opponents of this limit I think.

Hope I have helped, good luck at the tables!
    • veriz
      Hello wnbMG,

Well, what we would need here is definitely the AF and maybe even AF on the river. We can't really make decisions without it. It could easily be even not so profitable play since he will have a lot of Ax hands which is Checking behind on the turn. Any PP is also Checking behind on the river most likely. So it's gonna be towards either a pure-bluff but as I mentioned already that his range will consist of a lot Ax hands and which isn't the greatest card on the river for us to see and I might even consider folding against rather average player.

The bet size also indicates rather to a value-bet but of course it's up to the opponent. If we expect him even to bluff in those spots then why not, calling could be an option.

Best Regards.