Multi-tabling: When to play more

• emmune
      emmune
      Bronze
      Hey there, Just one quick question.

I've currently been trying to multi-table more sngs at once. The general consensus I seem to find is that if you are "crushing a limit" you can play more or move up a limit.

What constitutes "crushing" my current limit. Can someone put this in terms of what my ROI% should be around. I think that is the best measurement, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks
  • 11 replies
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hi emmune,

i am a cash game player but as far as i know, you can move up limits when you are rolled for the next limit. you can check out the article here:

SNG BRM

also, it is important that you feel comfortable on the next limit. maybe our SNG players can drop by and add their 2 cents.

smiles,
      wendy
    • kolonel71
      kolonel71
      Bronze
      Was also looking into multi-tabling and was wondering what amount of tables justify running software to help with the process.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kolonel71
      Was also looking into multi-tabling and was wondering what amount of tables justify running software to help with the process.
      i think playing up to 4 tables are quite doable without any tracking software.
      why don't you take a look at a really cool ongoing challenge here which shows you dont need a HUD to beat the games :) :

NL10 to NL400 without a hud!
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      Originally posted by emmune
      Hey there, Just one quick question.

I've currently been trying to multi-table more sngs at once. The general consensus I seem to find is that if you are "crushing a limit" you can play more or move up a limit.

What constitutes "crushing" my current limit. Can someone put this in terms of what my ROI% should be around. I think that is the best measurement, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks
      Crushing is hard to qualify, maybe you find out what the good players on your limit are doing and try to compare.

I think in general tho if you have a 5% ROI over a big sample.. 1000 minimum I guess, you're doing well.

I don't think you need to crush your limit to move up tho, I like the 100BI rule, and you can be a bit flexible with it too as long as you feel comfortable and are willing to move down if the situation requires you too.

You can always take stabs at the next limit. For me, like when I have maybe 70/80BI for the next limit, I try to play some of those games too but still maintaining the majority of my play in my home limit.

As for playing more games, play as many as you feel comfortable and also add more if you can still play optimally with the extra table.

It improve your hourly, which is also very important other than ROI.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      I add more tables when i start finding myself doing other things whilst playing such as checking facebook, downloading music etc addig more tables just gives you something else to focus on to keep your mind on the game and not to wander.

However if i add more tables then find that im struggling to notice players weaknesses then il play a table or 2 less you need to find a good balance of not becoming bored and being able to still take notes and spot the bad players/plays.

Some people go through their full careers never playing more than 4 tables where some people play up to 24 its all personal preference

Regards
      Carl
    • kolonel71
      kolonel71
      Bronze
      Originally posted by purplefizz
      why don't you take a look at a really cool ongoing challenge here which shows you dont need a HUD to beat the games :) :

Cool, will check it out.

I was wanting to get to 10-12+ tables, but it is the idea of having the games auto register which is appealing to me. Nothing worse than missing a play because i am stuffing around with the lobby. I play SNGs, and i think there is a component that allows for this.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by purplefizz

Cool, will check it out.

I was wanting to get to 10-12+ tables, but it is the idea of having the games auto register which is appealing to me. Nothing worse than missing a play because i am stuffing around with the lobby. I play SNGs, and i think there is a component that allows for this.
      i agree, i hate rucking about in the lobby while i am playing. if this is the function you are looking for, you should definitely check out TableNinja (an add-on of Holdem Manager). i totally :heart: it
    • Justin37
      Justin37
      Bronze
      Im 4 tables SNG 1.5 - 3.5 limit without any software running to help me, over 500 samples ROI around 25%. Im winning money comfortably in these 2 limit, but im thinking of making $1000 1st to move up to $7 (which i already tried 6 tables n ITM 5 of them).

Its all about your feeling to play the limit, winning, and hourly rate $ u wanna win. Right now i feel really SAFE playing 1.5/3.5 without worry even if i hit the variance. Well, i want to play for fun without worrying losing my money. You dont wanna play limit where you worry to much about losing.
    • kolonel71
      kolonel71
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Justin37
      Im 4 tables SNG 1.5 - 3.5 limit without any software running to help me, over 500 samples ROI around 25%. Im winning money comfortably in these 2 limit, but im thinking of making $1000 1st to move up to $7 (which i already tried 6 tables n ITM 5 of them).

Its all about your feeling to play the limit, winning, and hourly rate $ u wanna win. Right now i feel really SAFE playing 1.5/3.5 without worry even if i hit the variance. Well, i want to play for fun without worrying losing my money. You dont wanna play limit where you worry to much about losing.
      So true mate.

I had shots at the 7s, and felt a little edgy about it until i settled in and started doing well over the month of November running at a nice rate albeit over a small samplesize.

The other reason i would like to set something like this up is so that i am not wasting time waiting to see how a hand pans out, when i should know that i played it correctly, and move on to the next hand. I would like to end up looking at stats at the end of the complete session, then run the "big" hands through SNGwiz later on, as opposed to constantly checking in between sets.

Would also like to partner up with someone wanting to improve their game too, just to bounce ideas and hands off.
    • musashi87
      musashi87
      Gold
      As Wandy said, what you need is TableNinja. It's SnG Sensei it's ideal for this. I use it all the time, it's gr8 when you have 9+ tables and don't want to keep an eye on lobby. It has one drawback tho. When it is registering to new SnG it brings P* lobby and filters to foreground, you just need to move them outside of your screen (do not minimalize them just move fore example to bottom corner so you will see only little square of it) when they first pop up.
    • Heave112
      Heave112
      Bronze
      Well, I think 20 tabling is fine @ NL5 since standard ABC poker is an easy win, but you should reduce to something like 6-10 tabling on NL10 then 4-6 tabling on NL20/25 just so you get used to the variance, and play styles.