[NL2-NL10] NL2 AK MP3 Help

• UTGDog
      Known players:

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.105 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A:club: , K:diamond:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, CO folds, BU calls $0.08, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.19) 9:diamond: , 7:spade: , 3:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.14, BU calls $0.14.

Turn: ($0.47) K:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.34, BU raises to $1.13, Hero calls $0.79.

River: ($2.73) J:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU checks.

Final Pot: $2.73

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows (Ac Kd)
      BU shows three-of-a-kind, nines (9s 9c)

BU wins with three-of-a-kind, nines (9s 9c)

WTF did I do wrong? Easy to say 'fold on turn' but how could I be afraid of any hand on such a board? How often could I be beaten in this spot? Should I always bet/fold in this situation and why?
  • 2 replies
    • Echoes88

On that board, ch/f is also fine, since villian seems a nit, his range be filled with pps, whichll be calling one street.

call flop raise turn is the basic NUTs line, esp from a nit. Never be ahead, not to mention 0.4 AF.

btw, if u had tptk on the flop, u can ch/c against a nit, since no matter there is an fd, he will not have draws usually.

river chb with set

• luizsilveira
      Hi UTGDog!

I think cbetting there is *fine*. Not great, not a big mistake. After all, you do have A high, two overcards and the backdoor flush draw. But ch/folding wouldn't be a mistake as well against a player that seems to have a strong range pre and (as a consequence) goes to showdown fairly often. Unfortunately 100 hands is not much for us to know and because of that, plus the fact that you will be out of position the whole hand, ch/f is fine.

On the turn you hit, which is always good, and the bet is good as well. However, when a very passive player out of the sudden raises you, that often means trouble. What could he raise you with? You're showing strenght, if he had a good draw his draw would be stronger on the flop than on the turn. Plus, him being in position is often better for him to just call.

I think it's a spot where you can definitively fold against this particular opponent. It doesn't mean that you should fold there every time, but it's really a spot where you can fold *quite often* because you will be quite often behind and, even when you're not, what are you doing if he bets big on the river? (Bare in mind your villain is so passive, so passive, he didn't even bet the river for value with a hand as strong as a set!).

So, yeah, at this limit play mostly for value. You can bluffcatch sometimes but no need to to it too often, and no need to do it vs. a very tight and passive player. Plus, you should be more likely to play in position and tend to let go more your hands if you are out of position since that is almost always a huge disadvantage and will often put you in trouble spots.

@Echoes: I do agree with most of what you said but do not agree with checking the flop if he hit top pair. Yes he is very tight, but exactly because he is tight he will quite often have a hand strong enough to call. And that is exactly what we want when we have top pair, top kicker - to get value! So I'd def. go ahead and bet and expect to get called by his pocket pairs that are 2nd pairs OTF, or by dominated hands like KQ/AQ that also hit top pair. That way we can get a big payoff against those players.