$4.45
      MP1:
      $10.78
      MP2:
      $3.39
      MP3:
      $10.00

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with J, A.
      Hero raises to $0.35, 3 folds, CO calls $0.35, 3 folds, 2 folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.85) 9, 4, A (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.40, CO calls $0.40.

Turn: ($1.65) 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $1.10, Hero raises to $3.70, CO calls $2.60.

River: ($9.05) 4 (2 players)

Final Pot: $9.05.
      Results follow:

CO shows a full-house, nines full of fours(9 9).
      Hero shows two pairs, aces and fours(J A).

CO wins with a full-house, nines full of fours(9 9).

BB stats: 21/11

I am on a downswing at the moment and I'm going over my hands to see where its all going wrong! Any advice on how I could of played this better?

Thanks
  • 9 replies
    • UTGDog
      UTGDog
      Bronze
      My suggestion would be a bigger cbet, maybe .60 - .70. If he calls, which we know he will, another bet on the turn, around 1.60 in size will do one of two things, he will flat or he will reraise and you can make the tough decision to fold right there. If he reraises the turn there isn't much you are likely beating and chances are ur outkicked, up against a set, or a funky draw. At any rate you would elect to fold ur AJ n lose a small pot. If he flats, the pot is now only $5.35 going to the river and you can check/fold there. If the bet is small you may even decide to call it just to see what he has. That is up to you and your read on your opponent. But likely I would elect to be done with my hand if I run into any sizeable river bets at this point.
    • cpers
      cpers
      Bronze
      Preflop: You should've raise 4bb as a starts.

Postflop: You should've bet higher on the pot like 3/4 of the pot. And b/f the turn. ch/r there is definitely overplayed, unless you have a good read on this opponent.

If you play BSS always top up to fullstack, it's a must.
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Hi, chrispokergod.

As said, if you are playing BSS you should always top up to 100BB. Most sites have an auto top-up so you don't need to worry about it every hand.

Either with a medium or a full stack it gets trickier to play AJ there out of position. Once you bet the flop and he calls, I think you should in most cases bet/fold the turn. If the opponent calls again, you can play check/call (if a diamond does not hit) to try and catch a bluff from his missed draws. There is not much value in betting again river.

This is a bit of "high variance" play from the start since if you get any action from your opponent it's very likely at least a better ace (mind that you only beat AT since even A9 made two pair). Your opponent could call flop with a hand like JJ he didn't 3bet pre, but he'll probably fold turn.

It's a bit fashionable this days to play check/call on the turn and it works *ok* against bad aggressive opponents. Against very aggressive ones you can even play check/call turn AND river and expect to win the pot sometimes. But it's very villain and dynamics dependent and it's exploitable as well. All in all, I think I agree with what was said before: bet bigger on the flop (like 2/3 to 3/4 pot), bet again on the turn and fold if he raises, and either check/call river vs. a very aggressive opponent or you can try to make a blockbet (like 1/3 pot) against the more passive/bad ones.
    • chrispokergod
      chrispokergod
      Bronze
      Hey, thanks for your advice so quickly!

A couple of things to ask if you don't mind -

I kept the cbet to 50% pot as his VPIP was 21% so I thought he would be calling quite wide and would be willing to put more cash into the pot even though he is likely behind, I sort of felt 65-75% pot bet might scare him off which I didn't want to do. Am I mistaken here? Should I regularly be betting so much into a pot with a fairly strong hand and a good flop?

As for the 4bb, bcoz I've been short stacked i've been doing 3.5x bb as a standard raise, plus I was UTG. Is 3.5 accpetable in this case or should I be doing 4bb as standard from now on?

Thanks
    • chrispokergod
      chrispokergod
      Bronze
      Also thanks for the advice on auto-full stack. I do agree with this totally but my downswing has been going bad for about the past 2k hands and its getting abit expensive for my bankroll so I've been only putting around $5-6 into 0.05/0.10. Would you recommend I drop to the 0.01/0.02 and rebuild bankroll or stick at the stakes I am on but table select carefully?

Thanks in advance!
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Originally posted by chrispokergod

I kept the cbet to 50% pot as his VPIP was 21% so I thought he would be calling quite wide and would be willing to put more cash into the pot even though he is likely behind, I sort of felt 65-75% pot bet might scare him off which I didn't want to do. Am I mistaken here? Should I regularly be betting so much into a pot with a fairly strong hand and a good flop?

As for the 4bb, bcoz I've been short stacked i've been doing 3.5x bb as a standard raise, plus I was UTG. Is 3.5 accpetable in this case or should I be doing 4bb as standard from now on?

Thanks
      One of the mistakes people will make the most on these stakes is call too much. Thus it doesn't make much sense to bet small; by betting bigger you'll be exploiting their mistake of calling to much.

Betting for value is one of the most important assets for you while trying to beat those limits.

Then again, you shouldn't be betting depending on your holdings (as a general idea) but rather according to the board. If the board is dry (K66 rainbow) you can bet a bit less since there are no draws and there are less hands that can call a big bet. However, in a QT9 two tone board you should bet more, since there are a lot of hands with and without draws that will call you anyway. Dry board you can bet 60~70% of pot, wet boards you can go up to 2/3 ~ 3/4 and depending on the case (if it's multyway for example, which means more hands to call your bet) you can easily go potsize.

Remember: the most important thing here is to get paid off when you have a strong hand. And bets escalate: a slightly bigger bet on flop means a bigger bet on turn that means a much much bigger bet on the river. At the end of the month that's a huge added difference in winrate.

About the open size, if you are playing BSS I would indeed recommend opening 4BB from every position. Again, the error people will make the most is call too much; why not start punishing them from preflop by raising a notch more? This will make a big difference on the size of the pot by the river. Plus, you don't need a bluff range here (except maybe CO and BTN), so you don't need to make it smaller to make your bluffs cheaper.

As for your last question, it depends a bit. If you want to play BSS then yes, move down to NL2 and rebuild your bankroll. Every little bit I learn about poker only makes me be more and more conservative in terms of bankroll management. You don't want to play on the stress of bankroll pressure. On the other hand, if you rather play MSS or even SSS, then well, they are both perfectly profitable if you play them right; just keep in mind it's a somewhat completely different strategy/approach to the game then and you should try to learn it well from basics up.
    • UTGDog
      UTGDog
      Bronze

Thanks
      Well this comes down to basic no-limit principle. You simply must bet larger than 50% of the pot to help narrow his range of hands to something you can quantify on later streets. By betting so small, you don't gain any information from your villain when he calls, as he could do so with a variety of different hands that correspond to the board. Unless you have the nuts on the flop with very little chance of being beaten by anything, you should always play as described above. Doing so decreases the risk to your stack given the strength of your hand.
    • chrispokergod
      chrispokergod
      Bronze
      Thanks alot guys, alot of great help and advice here which I will try to put into practice!
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Thanks alot guys, alot of great help and advice here which I will try to put into practice!
      Glad to be of help :)

Don't forget to let us know how's it going at the tables. :s_cool: