[NL2-NL10] NL2 77 MP3 help

• UTGDog
      Known players:

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.105 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 7:heart: , 7:diamond:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, CO raises to $0.16, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.08.

Flop: ($0.35) A:club: , K:club: , 7:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.25, CO calls $0.25.

Turn: ($0.85) 5:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.6, CO calls $0.60.

River: ($2.05) J:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO raises $1.38 (All-In), Hero folds.

Final Pot: $3.43

Incredibly frustrated by this hand. Not long ago I posted a hand where I elected to fold Aces on a board with all clubs. Upon reflection and evaluation I was then told that more aggressive action preflop, and calling post flop against drawers was the best course of action in similar situations...So I ask what went wrong here? Just a lucky fish :f_cry: ? Or did I make a mistake in correct postflop play here.
  • 2 replies
    • ShaQQ
      I think you played it fine, try and maintain a 100 bb stack but apart from that you still had the correct odds to play for set value (just I think, correct me if I'm wrong). Post flop hmm I think if you're going to lead this board I prefer to lead a larger amount, and bet more on the turn as well to really charge his calling range, on the river it could be a blessing but either way it's a spot to barf :) , he wakes up here with AQ with the Qc, underplayed sets (horrible) or overplayed 2p which is even worse. There is an argument for folding pre flop but I mean you're getting paid off with a set here 99% of the time and it's a shame the river is what it is, although in a sense it could be money saved if villain had AA KK Qc etc, I think he's probably playing KQ with the Qc the same way, it's still horrendous :) UL sir and hope you have a good run in the near future, Paul.
    • luizsilveira
      Sorry but I didn't understand your remarks about your previous hand. Usually calling against drawers is a bad idea - you want to be aggressive and charge for their draws.

As played, your hand is fine. Sometimes the board will go against you, there is not much you can do about that. The difference between a good player and a bad player is also the ability to get away from such spots losing the least possible; it will happen the other way around sooner or later, and your opponent might not be able to get away from his hand and will pay you off with his whole stack.

I would have check/raised bit on the flop though. If your villain has a flush you still have outs for a full house; if he has one club and he is drawing, we want to charge maximum; if he has AA, well, not much you can do but go broke there... it's then just a cooler and he didn't win as he will go broke with 77 when you are the one with AA (so it's just a tie really).

I would check/raise flop (and call a shove), and if you do it with the right sizing you should be able to go all in on the turn (provided it's not a club). That way you will be charging maximum price for their draws while still having some equity vs. flushes. (mind that some weaker opponents will gladly go broke there with a hand like KQ with the K of clubs).

As played, by the river I think the fold is indeed the right play.