$7.36
      CO:
      $10.15
      BU:
      $4.17
      SB:
      $10.35

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q, K.
      MP2 raises to $0.35, MP3 calls $0.35, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.25.

Flop: ($1.1) J, Q, 3 (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks.

Turn: ($1.1) Q (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.52, MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $1.60, Hero calls $1.08.

River: ($4.3) 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $2.60, Hero calls $2.60.

Final Pot: $9.5.
      Results follow:

MP3 shows a full-house, jacks full of queens(J J).
      Hero shows three of a kind, queens(Q K).

MP3 wins with a full-house, jacks full of queens(J J).

Villian stats: 31/14/1.4 50 hands.

Hi, when I hit trips I generally seem to win smallish pots, then a situation like this occurs with a pot of $9 and I lose, overall making it very difficult for me to be profitable in the long run. I am hoping there may be some advice on what I could have done differently here.

I played quite cautious being OOP however villians high VPIP meant it was difficult for me to put him on a huge hand. Thanks in advance
  • 6 replies
    • cpers
      cpers
      Bronze
      Hello there,

Preflop: Calling with KQ from out of position on a 3-way pot isn't a good idea. You could be up against an ace like AK or AQ which dominate your hand.

Postflop: Why aren't you betting the flop? It's a wet board, you should've bet there at least to protect your hand. As played, it's a tough spot. AQ, QJ, and JJ beats your hand. So basically you don't beat much. The only hand you could beat is QT(Q9). Plus the villain is not that aggressive, so a raise here indicates a very strong hand like trips - which you can not beat unless he has QT or Q9. So I'd probably make a crying fold here or do like what you did but not calling his river bet, it's over a half pot size. Might call if it's less than what I've invested like 20bb. Interesting hand. I wonder what veriz's opinion on this.

Btw, for better evaluation you shouldn't post the result.
    • ShaQQ
      ShaQQ
      Bronze
      You gain more info by leading flop, if raised with villains AF (1.4) it's a rather straight forward fold, if called you're getting value from worse. As mentioned the flop texture is pretty wet so betting for protection around .9 is fine. As played I think if you shove the turn you're polarising yourself so flatting is okay, get it in on the river.
    • cpers
      cpers
      Bronze
      You gain more info by leading flop, if raised with villains AF (1.4) it's a rather straight forward fold, if called you're getting value from worse. As mentioned the flop texture is pretty wet so betting for protection around .9 is fine. As played I think if you shove the turn you're polarising yourself so flatting is okay, get it in on the river.
      @ShaQQ
      You'd still go for stacks with this hand? What range do you put him on? He has 31/14 so assume his calling-raising range would be mostly broadways which practically beats us. And with AF(1.4), I think he's only capable of semi-bluff with with AsJs, KsJs, or raising with QT. If we calculate the equity we're underdog both on the turn and the river. So I wouldn't go for stack here, at best just ch/c the river.

Board: J:spade: Q:spade: 3:heart:  Q:diamond:  7:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    39.29%  28.57%  10.71% { KhQc }
      UTG+2  60.71%  50.00%  10.71% { AQs, KQs, QTs+, AsJs, KsJs, AQo, KQo, QTo+ }
    • ShaQQ
      ShaQQ
      Bronze
      My considerations are that 30% is a fairly wide range and still given AF includes strong draws with a lot of equity and weak queens on the turn, villain is also not playing with a full stack. Due to the passive line the hand is overly complicated and, also by posting results it has sadly made a lot of logic unintentionally biased. I don't expect villain to wake up here with a poorly played set turned boat often, if villain was playing errrm 15/12 or 12/8 etc, I'd take hero's line, or contemplate folding the river if his stats were that nitty and a low AF. Apologies if I've miscalculated villains remaining stack on the river but I don't think he has much behind after leading 2.6.

EDIT-- Have you got villains 3b tendencies? I presume it's low due to not 3betting Jacks :P On a side note I think b/b/b is a better line.
    • cpers
      cpers
      Bronze
      Due to the passive line the hand is overly complicated and, also by posting results it has sadly made a lot of logic unintentionally biased.
      So true! :f_biggrin:
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello chrispokergod,

Preflop: Calling KQo while being OOP and also in multiway pot is really bad. You just gonna so often do mistakes with it. Either Squeeze/Fold or just fold directly.

As played
      Postflop: Rather donk yourself on the flop and protect your hand, we don't want to see Check behind and then see a ugly card for us. Also if you are betting the turn then rather Bet bigger, ~$0,90 even. But as we play it this way on the turn it's really close. Those loose-passive players so often will have there nuts which is playing like that after them Checking behind on the flop. I mean if he really wanted to bluff then why didn't he do that on the flop with CB? Therefore I might even Bet/Fold it while being OOP and we can't be sure how good our implied odds are.

Best Regards.