This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] Jj

• wnbMG
      wnbMG
      Bronze
      vs normal players...should I 4bet squezze and get it in or call or fold? what about other pocketpairs?
      Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.20(BB) Replayer
      Hero ($19.70)
      BB ($43.54)
      UTG ($21.36)
      CO ($24.69)
      BTN ($20)

Dealt to Hero J:heart: J:spade:

fold, CO raises to $0.60, fold, Hero calls $0.50, BB raises to $1.80, CO calls $1.20, fold
  • 1 reply
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Hi, wnbMG!

By "normal" players I think you mean "unknowns", right?

There is not one-approach-only to this really. Depends a bit on how aggressive people in general are playing in a certain limit, and it even varies from platform to another.

JJ is quite debatable: there are good merits for both calling and 3betting preflop, since the CO range is rather weak. I'd say QQ I'd always 3bet there against unknowns, but while I have no idea on how the guy plays (is he going to 4bet/bluff me? Is he going to call my 3bet and check/raise every flop? etc.) I rather just call and play in position.

Who are the blinds also make a huge difference whether to 3bet or not. If they are too aggressive it's often better to 3bet yourself; otherwise they will, taking down the initiative.

As for your hand there, I'd still go ahead and call the 3bet. If the CO did have a very strong hand he would have 4bet. We have a pretty strong hand that has decent equity even against a strong range (is flipping vs. AK/AQ), good playability, we are closing the action (no one can reraise after us) and we will have absolute position postflop! Plus, you only have to call $1.2 for a pot that will be pretty big; you can count on reasonable implied odds for the case you do hit a set and your opponent either has a big pair or an AK and hits as well.