I went on tilt again...

• ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      I was playing at the limits i wanted, hit my stop loss limit. So here I'm suposed to stop and not play poker for a while. but instead I decide to try and go make it back playing a higher limit instead and proceed to lose another bunch of money. so now i lost all my winnings that i worked so hard to get plus $5 of my initial deposit.

This tends to happen when i am feeling stressed out about something outside of poker and i get in the gambling mood.

I'm not mad...i'm just starting to lose faith in my ability to stop when ive hit my stop loss limit and i cant win in long run because of this. should i make my stopp loss limit 1 stack from now on instead of 2? because i find once i lose 2 stacks all hell breaks loose.
  • 5 replies
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi there ilovemagic, I suffered the same problem a while ago, just couldn't give it up when I was stressed, sometimes even when I knew I was being outplayed.

Have you been here; http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/psychology/#silver

There are loads of articles and stuff that did go some way to helping me become more in control.
      I do hope it works out.

Regards,

Mal.
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      I am checking these articles as we speak. Thank you. I wish I had the willpower to just stop when i reach my stop loss limit. If I fail at reaching the $1/$2 game someday, it will be because I was never able to control my bad beat and bad play leading to tilt and severe bankroll loss. I know if it weren't for these forums' I would be lost because I have no one to talk to about poker, and no one to vent my stresses to.

Is it realistic to start at the 1c/2c game and make it up to the $1/$2 game in a decent amount of time (i.e. 1 year or 2 years) if I win at an average rate?

I have edited this post and set some realistic goals to help me when im feeling down:
      realistic poker goals:

1)to play for at least 2 hour per day average

2)I deposited $25. Increase the stack by any amount
      by december 30th 2011.

3)to engage the stop loss plan (loss of 1 stack in a single hand)

4)to play only during my spare time and study ONLY during my time that i COULD instead play.

5)check my emotions before I begin, and 10 mins after I begin to see if I'm on tilt

6)to watch coaching vids, read articles about poker, and post hands in the forums.

7) ALWAYS think about the long run and remember you won't get there in one night...it's NOT possible

I think this should help stop my biggest leak of all..going on tilt and continuing to play instead of stopping and moving on with my life instad of sulking and hating the world
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi ilovemagic, I see you've come up with a plan; definitely always a good idea. I heard once a teacher say if you don't plan to succeed, you're planning to fail.

Now, as far as your question about moving up limits is concerned, I know there is a way to estimate it given number of tables, timescale, winrate etc., but I don't know how to actually do it. Try posting it as a stand alone question, I'm sure you'll get sensible responses.

Just the fact that you've acknowledged your problem, pinpointed it and are determined to act on it in a positive manner, puts you miles ahead of most of the players out there, so well done for that!

Regards,

Mal.
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      thank you! glad to see I am on the right track and am glad to be moving back down to the nl2, for now.
    • CheckBop
      CheckBop
      Bronze
      no no no , this is not good at all, you know you shouldnt be doing these things! Stop it i tell you ! gl bro.