took a shot at $25nl

• sucker1952
      sucker1952
      Bronze
      Hi All

I worked my bankroll upto $800 dollars playing micros and sml buy in tourneys and set myself the goal to give $25nl a shot at $800 and moving back down at $750

Well my 1st shot went pretty badly. I was not thinking straight and a little too excited and was donking tptk pots and getting ripped apart by overpairs and managed to call off the rest of the $50, not happy but obvious went wrong. I built back upto $800 in micros and took another shot. This time primed and thinking clearly, didnt feel scared just waited out to get a good idea of oponents using hud and watching as only playing 2 tables of $25nl. I doubled up in the 5th hand with set mining against aces vn i then went into 2 hands almost the same time on both tables. hand 1 I had pocket sixes ($50 on table) i raised to $.75 into a tight tight big stack. He re-raised to $2 i put him on a range of qq kk aa ak maybe aq suited.. flop rainbow 10 6 4 i raised sraight into him and he 3 bets so i push and he turn 10 10...

hand 2 ($25) on table loose agg bets $.85 and 2 callers so i call with 55.

flop 5h 10h jc

aggressor checks one guy bets 1/2 pot another called, i ut them on a draw and maybe 1 with tp so i raise to $5 and the original raiser re raises to $11 the 2 middle guys fold and so i shove putting him on iether ak with a flush draw or aj qq kk aa

and he also turns over 10 10

now am i doing something wrong or is this just a bugger and it doest happen often?

i am going back down stakes and try again :)

Any words of wisdom would be nice as i am not happy! getting drunk! going on tilt! blowing wad!

only kiddin xx
  • 29 replies
    • wizo656
      wizo656
      Gold
      Set into a bigger is extremely rare. Getting two at the same time? :f_o: VERY unlikely. From what you posted I can't see anything terribly wrong with your play, you should protect your sets against flushes and the like, most of the time you should be ahead in situations like that, you just got unlucky. :f_cry:
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      ahh man that really sucks. doubt you did anything wrong tho its like 100:1 against running a set into a higher set. thats the last thing you need when you're taking a shot - just keep shooting you'll get there eventually!
    • surfwell1818
      surfwell1818
      Bronze
      I call this Stepping Syndrome,
      When ever I step up I have a bad beat or 2 almost instantly.
      I get bitten and leave to let my wounds heal.
      After session review and further lower limit play I step up and bingo "Step up Syndrome" again.
      It's sooooo much a mental thing.
      The same situations at the previous level would be laughed at and not so much of a punch in the guts.
      I kind of expect it now.
      Eventually I the syndrome misses me for a session and my mental space is left clear.
      Hope you keep on top of it.
    • wnbMG
      wnbMG
      Bronze
      don't be such a nit a take at least 5bi shot, u have enough big BR ;)
    • sucker1952
      sucker1952
      Bronze
      lol so im guessing people have the same problems stepping up in stakes

i will give it another shot but i gotta grind another $50 on $10nl

Annoying as its not the money im scared of loosing its the fact a have a plan, brm, impovement, targets etc so im sticking to it but damn its frustratin.

The good news is by the time i get the $50 back i should have another $50 in bonus from pokerstars so i will take a $100 stab

anyone anygood at looking at my poker tracker stuff or know how to get someone to look at my play

thanks

Sucker1952
    • BrinkyBill
      BrinkyBill
      Bronze
      You don't need $800 for NL25. It is easily managable with $625.

Also there is no point in just moving up and then to drop down when you lost 2 stacks. You loose 2 stacks just way too fast, even if you could beat the level. Rather play NL25 (if you feel that you have an edge) and move back down once you reach like $625 or $650. This way you don't only depend on having an upswing when moving up.
    • sucker1952
      sucker1952
      Bronze
      i guess its because in the past i had no brm and im trying to stick to goals

going off 50000 hands my variance has had swings of 9 buyins but that was at the start and after that a couple of 5 buy in swings

i guess in my head 6 x $25 would be too much to lose as it took ages to build at $10nl

do you think i should chance it rather than being cautious.

i also should add i tend to tilt a bit when i lose more than 2 buyins at a time which may be why i took this approach

i do seem to have a small edge against certain kinds of players but i still have so much to learn

hhmmm maybe i am being a pussy!! any thoughts?
    • awesomeo
      awesomeo
      Bronze
      NL25 is where I play now and I had like 4 shots before I managed to establish myself there. Once that is done there is not really much of a difference I think. I had some similar expirience like what you described. Loosing 2,3 buyins on NL25 felt pretty crapy. So my way around it was to just switch to nitty bankroll - I played it on 1000$ and felt much more confident and it happened. Of course the major point here is that the limit is not that different than NL10 and from what you say you just got coolers, so everithing should be fine. I also think you should have 4-5 buyins for your next shot - will be easier.
    • sucker1952
      sucker1952
      Bronze
      had a horrible run at $10nl and lost half my roll. variance and lots of tilt. Sorted life out and grinded back to @$840. had an awful run of trying to get in the 10a sunday million via sattellites, shoulda just bought in :) and ended up deep in the sunday storm. went out to a silly bluff at the chip leader on the table but pocketed $200 and now i am rolled for nl $25 yay

gonna have my 1st sesh 2mora!
    • Heffron89
      Heffron89
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sucker1952
      had a horrible run at $10nl and lost half my roll. variance and lots of tilt. Sorted life out and grinded back to @$840. had an awful run of trying to get in the 10a sunday million via sattellites, shoulda just bought in :) and ended up deep in the sunday storm. went out to a silly bluff at the chip leader on the table but pocketed $200 and now i am rolled for nl $25 yay

gonna have my 1st sesh 2mora!
      On what room?
    • sucker1952
      sucker1952
      Bronze
      pokerstars
    • CheckBop
      CheckBop
      Bronze
      keep your head up man!
    • sucker1952
      sucker1952
      Bronze
      got my rolll back to $800 and tooka another shot. im upto $1k so doing ok will post some hands when i get home from xmas.

really happy with play and only playing 2 tables at a time
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      love the honesty and emotion showed in tris thread, fantasticdiscipline to stick to what you set out to do, so many people would have had óne more go

good luck at nl25 and let us know about the nl50 shots!
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pleno1
      love the honesty and emotion showed in tris thread, fantasticdiscipline to stick to what you set out to do, so many people would have had óne more go

good luck at nl25 and let us know about the nl50 shots!
      This, remarkable attitude shown :)

Hope the cards are kind
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      I completely agree, the attitude and discipline are exemplary.

Also, I think awesomoe has a very valid point in that if you play a bit nitty at the next level up you may not 'feel the hurt' so much; just something to ponder.

Best regards,

Mal.
    • sucker1952
      sucker1952
      Bronze
      Thanks guys for the comments

I have played nitty as I know myself and I know I can't handle too much variance

Until I learn to handle it I just won't put myself through it

I think i will take shots at nl50 when my roll is at 2k

Have started a blog and will start posting hands and graphs in the new year

Happy new year to all
    • druidulix
      druidulix
      Bronze
      Well, try to enjoy that you didn´t have top set and your opponent got quads, always funny, especially for almost 200 bb's.

Edit: Well, obv. not top set, but the higher one

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Spela upp hand

$0.02/$0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $4.33
      BB:
      $2.92
      MP3 (Hero):
      $7.53
      CO:
      $9.58
      BU:
      $10.47

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 8, 8.
      Hero raises to $0.12, CO folds, BU calls $0.12, 2 folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.3) 8, J, 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.21, BU calls $0.21.

Turn: ($0.72) A (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.48, BU raises to $1.59, Hero raises to $3.28, BU raises to $10.14, Hero calls $3.92.

River: ($18.06) 3 (2 players)

Final Pot: $18.06.
      Results follow:

BU shows four of a kind, threes(3 3).
      Hero shows a full-house, eights full of threes(8 8).

BU wins with four of a kind, threes(3 3).
    • sucker1952
      sucker1952
      Bronze
      Happens to us all

Last week in fact

Poker would be shit if the best hand always won