On the road to midstakes!

• DeLau
      DeLau
      Bronze
      Waddup bitches!?

Welcome to my new blog! I am Laurens, live in Belgium and I 'm 24 years old. I perform research towards food allergies at university.

Concerning poker, I played quite a lot in the last 2 years of my studies. I played up to 6max nl100 and husng's up to 33$. I stopped playing because I had trouble coping with downswings and since I 've been working there just hasn't been that much time.

But now I 'm BACK! I feel really motivated to start learning again. I will start out playing nl25 on everest poker. Really soft field of players. I had 2 sessions so far and and bankroll is now at 325$, lost about 30$ but pretty sure I beat it.

My goals:
      :club: analyse hands during/after every session
      :club: watch 3 vids a week
      :club: improve mindset (watch mindset videos, read on the matter)
      :club: get back to nl100
      :club: own bitches so I can post cool hands in my blog :f_biggrin:

In this blog I will post:
      :club: cool hands (NO bad beats!)
      :club: graphs
      :club: poker strategy
      :club: some funny and interesting non-poker stuff:

Here 's a great motivational vid to start out the blog:

I will show them everest bitches how great I am! :f_biggrin:

This blog will be without a doubt absolutely awesome so be sure to read and post! :f_biggrin:
  • 199 replies
    • DeLau
      DeLau
      Bronze
      Hi peoples!

First update (already took to long :facepalm: ), so what happend:

:diamond: played 7.2k hands
      :diamond: 2 buy-in profit
      :diamond: watched one good vid (3betting by leatherass)
      :diamond: posted 8-10 hands for evaluation (and learned some things from it!)

I realised myself that volume will be a big problem for me. It always has, and now working full-time it's hard to get in the hours. I 'm aiming at 30 hrs a month, which is like 15k hands.

crazy action at nl25 :f_biggrin: :
      Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.25(BB) Replayer
      SB ($26.60)
      BB ($29.55)
      UTG ($38.30)
      UTG+1 ($13.20)
      CO ($22.80)
      Hero ($24.20)

Dealt to Hero J:diamond: A:club:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.60, fold, BB raises to $2.15, Hero raises to $5.60, BB raises to $16.95, Hero raises to $24.20 (AI), BB calls $7.25

FLOP ($48.55) 3:club: Q:heart: 9:club:

TURN ($48.55) 3:club: Q:heart: 9:club: 7:club:

RIVER ($48.55) 3:club: Q:heart: 9:club: 7:club: 8:diamond:

BB shows 8:heart: T:spade:
      (Pre 36%, Flop 31.7%, Turn 20.5%)

Hero shows J:diamond: A:club:
      (Pre 64%, Flop 68.3%, Turn 79.5%)

BB wins $46.15

SB ($24.50)
      BB ($45.45)
      UTG ($13.45)
      UTG+1 ($25.85)
      CO ($24.85)
      Hero ($40.65)

Dealt to Hero J:spade: 5:spade:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.60, fold, BB raises to $1.95, Hero calls $1.35

FLOP ($4.05) 3:diamond: 8:heart: 4:heart:

BB checks, Hero bets $2.80, BB calls $2.80

TURN ($9.65) 3:diamond: 8:heart: 4:heart: J:club:

BB checks, Hero bets $5.45, BB raises to $10.90, Hero calls $5.45

RIVER ($31.45) 3:diamond: 8:heart: 4:heart: J:club: 2:heart:

BB checks, Hero checks

BB shows T:spade: T:club:
      (Pre 69%, Flop 82.4%, Turn 4.5%)

Hero shows J:spade: 5:spade:
      (Pre 31%, Flop 17.6%, Turn 95.5%)

Hero wins $29.90

Oh, and FUS RO DAH!!!

• suitedaces1701
      suitedaces1701
      Platinum
      lol I just might switch to everest!

I'm following :D
    • DeLau
      DeLau
      Bronze
      Woot woot, someone following! :) Thanks!

The thing that's really stunning about everest are the regulars, they are crazy. :f_biggrin:
    • DeLau
      DeLau
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

watched a great video on cbetting (cardrunners) this evening. Stumbled upon it when reading MrMardyBum's blog, so thanks for that :) . Again, it all boils down to the importance of position. I thought I was already aware of this. In fact I was, but not enough. So need to change that, mainly focussing more on position vs fish.

Changing this view on position, I became really unsure about what and how to play from the blinds, definitely something I have to clear up!

Vids I really want to watch are Somnius' serie on neuropsychology and the TT-Vonki vids.

Today my favo football team played a draw in Euro league and is now group winner! Hurayyy :s_grin: Other Belgian teams are doing great in Europa league as well, looking good for belgian football atm :)
    • DeLau
      DeLau
      Bronze
      Waddup people? Time to get in another update! Not gonna post a graph yet, will keep that as a monthly update.

Watched a user review vid from TT couple of days ago. At a certain moment, TT said that guy being reviewed (don't remember name) has good fundamentals but isn't consistent enough postflop. I believe that perfectly describes my game. I feel like I totally own the player field but every now and then I make a huge (costly) mistake. But then again, we have to make mistakes to learn right? Maybe I 'm getting too frustrated over this... :f_confused:

Anyway, yesterday I played huge volume (to my standards) and put in 4k hands at 12bb/100 hands winrate. Since I started this thread, my winrate is 5.7bb/100 hands over 12k hands. Would be great if I could keep that winrate up! :s_cool:

Next hand is definitely the worst play I have ever seen, I guess he was drunk! :f_o:

Hero ($44.25)
      BB ($35.40)
      UTG ($24.75)
      UTG+1 ($8.85)
      CO ($38)
      BTN ($5.30)

Dealt to Hero 7:heart: 7:diamond:

UTG calls $0.25, fold, fold, BTN raises to $1.15, fold, BB raises to $3.85, UTG calls $3.60, BTN calls $2.70

FLOP ($11.70) J:club: 8:diamond: J:spade:

BB checks, UTG bets $11.70, BTN calls $1.45 (AI), BB calls $11.70

TURN ($36.55) J:club: 8:diamond: J:spade: 2:spade:

BB checks, UTG checks

RIVER ($36.55) J:club: 8:diamond: J:spade: 2:spade: 9:diamond:

BB bets $7, UTG calls $7

BTN shows J:diamond: K:diamond:
      (Pre 14%, Flop 89.3%, Turn 97.6%)

BB shows K:heart: K:spade:
      (Pre 69%, Flop 4.5%, Turn 2.4%)

UTG shows T:club: 5:club:
      (Pre 18%, Flop 6.2%, Turn 0.0%)

BTN wins $15.25
      BB wins $32.80
    • DeLau
      DeLau
      Bronze
      Happy newyear folks!!!

As every (good?) blogger, I will post a small recap of 2011 and post some goals for the new year.

I only started this blog in december so not that much has happened.
      :diamond: volume: 15,5k hands. Pretty happy about this. It doesn't seem like much to all you grinders but with working full-time + other activities, I like it :)
      :diamond: winrate: about 9bb/100 hands EV-adjusted. Really happy about this, still small sample so not sure if it's sustainable. But I 'm definitely happy about my game + I feel like there 's room for improvement (playing without initiative + 3betting more).
      First month ever that I kept my nonSD above zero, that feels like the greatest achievement to me :s_cool:
      :diamond: learning: should spend some more time on this. The time I did spend on this, I feel like I really learned a lot from it. Watched some great vids, read some great advice in blogs and learned from discussing in hand evaluation thread.

Don't think I need to say something else about that, I will post my december graph later, now typing at other pc.

Goals for 2012:
      :club: volume: play 10k hands every month (~20 hours playing). I know it 's not much, but I want to set an achievable goal. Not sure if I can get in 15k hands every month...
      :club: improvement: continue learning the way I did, but invest more time. Less aimlessly browsing the forum. :s_biggrin:
      :club: limit: playing NL100 comfortably by the end of the year. This means moving up 2 limits. Hope to get to NL50 after 4 months, will move up if I have 30BI. I really feel no pressure to move up, I really enjoy playing at NL25 atm :f_biggrin:

Started reading a book on weapon merchants/ -industry (by Andrew Feinstein) during christmas holiday. Really dazzling what's going on in the highest echelons of politics. Very interesting read! Also bought a book on the russian maffia. Looking forward to that one as well :)
    • DeLau
      DeLau
      Bronze
      Said I would upload my december graph so here it is:

Had a pretty hefty session this week in which I lost 8BI in 1k hands. Grinding it back now :s_cool:

Already got in 2.3k hands this month, so happy about my volume so far :)
    • DeLau
      DeLau
      Bronze
      Hi there peoples.

Been quite some time since I last updated.

Mont sofar: played quite some volume in first week (4.5k hands), then didn't play at all for a over a week because very busy at work/social engagements. This weekend I caught up though, 500 hands more to reach my volume goal for the month.
      Profitwise, things could be better. :f_biggrin: Currently 4 BI down for the month, would be great if I can end it break-even.

Funny hand:

Villain SNAPcalled river :f_biggrin:

Hero ($56.65)
      BB ($24.60)
      UTG ($11.65)
      UTG+1 ($27.18)
      CO ($45.55)
      BTN ($24.20)

Dealt to Hero J:club: J:heart:

UTG raises to $0.50, UTG+1 calls $0.50, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.35, fold

FLOP ($1.75) J:spade: 2:diamond: 9:spade:

Hero checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks

TURN ($1.75) J:spade: 2:diamond: 9:spade: A:spade:

Hero checks, UTG bets $0.35, UTG+1 calls $0.35, Hero raises to $2.10, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $1.75

RIVER ($6.30) J:spade: 2:diamond: 9:spade: A:spade: 4:diamond:

Hero bets $3.35, UTG+1 calls $3.35

UTG+1 shows K:spade: 3:spade:
      (Pre 32%, Flop 25.6%, Turn 77.3%)

Hero shows J:club: J:heart:
      (Pre 68%, Flop 74.4%, Turn 22.7%)

UTG+1 wins $12.35

Non-poker: my little brother and I are planning to start up a newssite for gamers. My brother is addicted to gaming so this looked like a nice way to do something productive with that. We are both total noobs about websites and stuff. Anybody knows how we can cheaply start up a site? Any help is welcome! :)
    • Skraggy
      Skraggy
      Bronze
      Nice blog, will be following :)

As for the hand you posted with JJ - were you going for C/R on the flop? Pretty scary board and a 3 way flop.

As for the website question, it would depend what you'd like to put on the site and how you would like it to function. If it's going to be simple gamer news then a blog type site might be your best bet. You can use free content management systems such as Wordpress, buy a domain and hosting and it's pretty easy from there :)
    • DeLau
      DeLau
      Bronze
      Hi,

About the JJ hand, I expected some reaction on the way I played it. Exactly, was going for x/r, don't remember why actually. I do remember that I was unhappy about my line afterwards.

Thanks for your advice on the website! Our plans are actually to go for a complete website and try to build up a community. Maybe start a clan for BF3 and CoD MW3 organise tournies. If all goes well, I would like to introduce the gamers to poker as well :s_cool:

I was actually just browsing the internet to search for a template and stumbled upon things like wordpress and JS animated. Never heard of those things :f_confused:
    • StabiBossa
      StabiBossa
      Bronze
      I would 3bet the JJ hand and definetly lead on that flop.
      Btw i think im movin to everest. :megusta: :coolface: :coolface: :coolface: :coolface:
    • DeLau
      DeLau
      Bronze
      Was also wondering why I didn't 3bet that. I hope utg+1 was megatight, if not :facepalm:
    • Skraggy
      Skraggy
      Bronze
      If you need any help or advice I'd be glad to help you out with the website.

As for the gaming - ps3 or xbox? I'm playing mw2 on ps3 at the moment, though I'm quite a noob still :rolleyes: :)
    • StabiBossa
      StabiBossa
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lpdlamei
      Hi,

About the JJ hand, I expected some reaction on the way I played it. Exactly, was going for x/r, don't remember why actually. I do remember that I was unhappy about my line afterwards.

Thanks for your advice on the website! Our plans are actually to go for a complete website and try to build up a community. Maybe start a clan for BF3 and CoD MW3 organise tournies. If all goes well, I would like to introduce the gamers to poker as well :s_cool:

I was actually just browsing the internet to search for a template and stumbled upon things like wordpress and JS animated. Never heard of those things :f_confused:
      Please don't introduce poker to gamers, we dont need any extra competition..games are tough enough nowadays.Haha jk. :D
    • DeLau
      DeLau
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Skraggy
      If you need any help or advice I'd be glad to help you out with the website.

As for the gaming - ps3 or xbox? I'm playing mw2 on ps3 at the moment, though I'm quite a noob still :rolleyes: :)
      Hi man,

thanks for the offer. Add me in skype: lau_dela. I 'm not online there often but will definitely contact you!

My bro and I play xbox but I don't think we have to restrict is to that. Mw2? Why not mw3? You have to keep up my man :f_biggrin:
      I started playing cod with mw2 and I was a total noob. Then I rocked at BlackOps, now in MW3 back to noob :f_confused:

Please don't introduce poker to gamers, we dont need any extra competition..games are tough enough nowadays.Haha jk.

Lol I wonder if average gamer is better then average poker player. I think the competitive and dedicated gamers are definitely. But obv there are other gamer types as well :f_biggrin:
    • DeLau
      DeLau
      Bronze
      Played 1K hands yesterday and ran gooood. Won some (all?) flipperz and hit some nice outs vs lag reg. Got into big hand in the end where I lost allmost an entire stack w KK vs AA. We were about 150bb deep but managed to loose only about 80 bb :)

would like to post couple of hands from the pwnage but at my work-laptop atm so no hands. Later!
    • DeLau
      DeLau
      Bronze
      Howdie folks,

don't think I will be playing anymore this month so here is my january graph:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As you can see it didn't start out to well but I never really worried and came back. Still made some costly mistakes here and there but overall, I like my game. Still need to improve a lot though, definitely when I move up!

Most importantly, I made good volume (to my standards) and didn't really tilt over the downswing.

Some crazy hands of this month:

Villain snapcalled turn! :D

SB ($24.75)
      Hero ($53.23)
      UTG ($13.30)
      UTG+1 ($41.50)
      CO ($7.60)
      BTN ($8.65)

Dealt to Hero J:spade: A:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to $0.50, fold, Hero raises to $1.75, BTN calls $1.25

FLOP ($3.65) 8:diamond: 6:spade: 5:spade:

Hero bets $2.15, BTN calls $2.15

TURN ($7.95) 8:diamond: 6:spade: 5:spade: T:spade:

Hero bets $7.95, BTN calls $4.75 (AI)

RIVER ($17.45) 8:diamond: 6:spade: 5:spade: T:spade: 9:spade:

Hero shows J:spade: A:diamond:
      (Pre 73%, Flop 70.6%, Turn 88.6%)

BTN shows 4:diamond: J:diamond:
      (Pre 27%, Flop 29.4%, Turn 11.4%)

Hero wins $16.60

Fish sucks out... :facepalm:

SB ($26)
      BB ($33.60)
      UTG ($24.70)
      UTG+1 ($64.40)
      CO ($26.15)
      Hero ($41.35)

Dealt to Hero K:spade: A:club:

fold, fold, CO raises to $0.90, Hero raises to $3.10, fold, fold, CO calls $2.20

FLOP ($6.60) 6:heart: 7:spade: 4:spade:

CO checks, Hero bets $3.80, CO raises to $18, Hero raises to $38.25 (AI), CO calls $5.05 (AI)

TURN ($52.70) 6:heart: 7:spade: 4:spade: J:spade:

RIVER ($52.70) 6:heart: 7:spade: 4:spade: J:spade: 2:spade:

CO shows 6:club: 7:club:
      (Pre 41%, Flop 91.5%, Turn 81.8%)

Hero shows K:spade: A:club:
      (Pre 59%, Flop 8.5%, Turn 18.2%)

Hero wins $50.10

Biggest pot! :)

Hero ($49.90)
      BB ($25)
      UTG ($23.35)
      CO ($46.03)
      BTN ($24.60)

Dealt to Hero K:heart: K:club:

fold, CO raises to $0.90, fold, Hero raises to $2.95, fold, CO raises to $5, Hero calls $2.05

FLOP ($10.25) 4:diamond: 7:diamond: K:diamond:

Hero checks, CO bets $10.25, Hero raises to $44.90 (AI), CO calls $30.78 (AI)

TURN ($92.31) 4:diamond: 7:diamond: K:diamond: 3:spade:

RIVER ($92.31) 4:diamond: 7:diamond: K:diamond: 3:spade: Q:diamond:

Hero shows K:heart: K:club:
      (Pre 18%, Flop 90.1%, Turn 95.5%)

CO shows A:spade: A:club:
      (Pre 82%, Flop 9.9%, Turn 4.5%)

Hero wins $90.31

Fish hits :f_biggrin:

SB ($25.25)
      BB ($8.75)
      Hero ($41.30)
      UTG+1 ($41.90)
      CO ($28.70)
      BTN ($24.85)

Dealt to Hero A:club: Q:diamond:

Hero raises to $0.90, UTG+1 calls $0.90, fold, fold, fold, fold

FLOP ($2.20) 5:heart: J:club: 6:club:

Hero bets $1.50, UTG+1 raises to $4.40, Hero calls $2.90

TURN ($11) 5:heart: J:club: 6:club: 9:heart:

Hero checks, UTG+1 bets $6.60, Hero calls $6.60

RIVER ($24.20) 5:heart: J:club: 6:club: 9:heart: Q:heart:

Hero checks, UTG+1 bets $18.40, Hero calls $18.40

Hero shows A:club: Q:diamond:
      (Pre 47%, Flop 31.0%, Turn 13.6%)

UTG+1 shows 2:heart: 2:club:
      (Pre 53%, Flop 69.0%, Turn 86.4%)

Hero wins $58

Wanted to post some funny hands with fish getting it in 7high but apparently I only mark hands I played bad :f_biggrin:

Next months goals:
      :club: play 10k hands
      :club: watch episode 3-6 of pink performance
      :club: get 1k$ bankroll ( know, money goal bla bla)
    • DeLau
      DeLau
      Bronze
      Just played a session and I just have to post some hands! Here you go:

SB ($24.90)
      BB ($19.65)
      UTG ($9.85)
      CO ($7.84)
      Hero ($31.55)

Dealt to Hero K:diamond: 7:club:

fold, CO raises to $0.90, fold, SB calls $0.75, fold

FLOP ($2.05) 3:club: 4:heart: 6:diamond:

SB bets $2.05, CO raises to $6.94 (AI), SB calls $4.89

TURN ($15.93) 3:club: 4:heart: 6:diamond: 9:club:

RIVER ($15.93) 3:club: 4:heart: 6:diamond: 9:club: 6:spade:

CO shows Q:spade: T:spade:
      (Pre 70%, Flop 64.2%, Turn 77.3%)

SB shows 2:diamond: J:club:
      (Pre 30%, Flop 35.8%, Turn 22.7%)

CO wins $15.18

Next one is a missclick on my behalf :f_biggrin:
      SB ($9.60)
      BB ($18.85)
      UTG ($24.35)
      UTG+1 ($21)
      CO ($7.90)
      Hero ($41.85)

Dealt to Hero 4:club: Q:club:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.60, SB calls $0.45, fold

FLOP ($1.45) T:diamond: Q:heart: J:club:

SB checks, Hero bets $41.25 (AI), SB calls $9 (AI)

TURN ($19.45) T:diamond: Q:heart: J:club: 6:spade:

RIVER ($19.45) T:diamond: Q:heart: J:club: 6:spade: J:spade:

SB shows 9:diamond: A:heart:
      (Pre 59%, Flop 38.6%, Turn 25.0%)

Hero shows 4:club: Q:club:
      (Pre 41%, Flop 61.4%, Turn 75.0%)

Hero wins $18.50
    • DeLau
      DeLau
      Bronze
      February is going great. Running like god: coolers and suckouts all over the place. Enjoying every second of it! :f_biggrin:

I have watched the first 6 vids of pink performance now. Quite interesting, just love TT'ss coaching style! In last couple of vids a lot of talk about overbetting. I never do it, feel a bit uncomfortable with it. But I will force myself to throw in one every now and then.