[NL2-NL10] If he pushed on th river?

• HansTheGreat
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      UTG2 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with Q, Q.
      Hero raises to $0.20, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.20, 4 folds, BB calls $0.15.

Flop: ($0.62) 5, 9, 6 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.52, MP2 calls $0.52, BB folds.

Turn: ($1.66) 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.20, MP2 calls $1.20.

River: ($4.06) K (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Final Pot: $4.06.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of queens(Q Q).MP2 shows high card ace(A 8).Hero wins with a pair of queens(Q Q).
  • 3 replies
    • Echoes88
      Since he just called the turn, on a drawheavy board, hes never going to have a strong hand, so if i know hes a little fishier thean average or/and more agro, id definately call. If he has a kX, he ll not be vbetting it, since you showed agression on prevoius streets. Its gonna be a busted draw most of the cases.
    • luizsilveira
      Hi, Sikac!

I really like your question! And it's pretty important to ask questions about hands you won as well.

I think if he pushes the river you can only call if two conditions are fulfilled: 1) the opponent is very bad; 2) he is very aggressive.

You are opening from very early position and betting twice, flop and turn. You can have AA, KK, AK of diamonds (let's consider he didn't have the A of diamonds). It's a very, very bad spot for him to bluff - and especially to bluff big.

So, only very bad players would push as a bluff. A few players could play a hand like A :diamond: K :diamond: or K :diamond: Q :diamond: like that. Having hit the river, they push exactly to get called by your TT-QQ range. But it's still not a good play from them.

What I think you could have done was to valuebet the river still. Yes, flush draws will fold, and yes there might be a random K in his flush draw which will call, but I doubt TT-JJ would fold there; and it's unlikely he has 99/66/55 since he would have likely check/raised the flop or turn. So against weaker/more passive players (who won't check/raise bluff me on the river) I'd go ahead and bet again for thin value. Doesn't have to be big, something between $1.5 and $2.7 or so, depending a bit on how much a calling station the player is.

But yeah, it's thin, sometimes you might lose, often he will indeed fold anyway, so checking behind is not really a mistake.
    • luizsilveira
      Oh, so if I was not clear, I fold the river there. Especially against an unknown. Sometimes they will turn over some K9, sometimes even 99 that decided to first be sure your flush draw wouldn't hit.

So unless I know the opponent is bad and aggressive, I fold - especially because he doesn't know me as well, and we shouldn't assume the fact he is bluffing his entire stack against an unknown out of the blue.