This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] 99 3bet

• Shady9966
      Shady9966
      Global
      Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.05(BB) Replayer
      SB ($5.81)
      Hero ($5.35)
      UTG ($5.50)
      CO ($2.43)
      BTN ($5.44)

Dealt to Hero 9:diamond: 9:club:

fold, fold, BTN raises to $0.15, fold, Hero raises to $0.45, BTN calls $0.30

FLOP ($0.92) 6:diamond: 4:spade: K:heart:

Hero bets $0.61, BTN calls $0.61

TURN ($2.14) 6:diamond: 4:spade: K:heart: 2:spade:

Hero checks, BTN checks

RIVER ($2.14) 6:diamond: 4:spade: K:heart: 2:spade: A:diamond:

Hero checks, BTN checks

Hero shows 9:diamond: 9:club:
      (Pre 55%, Flop 8.8%, Turn 4.5%)

BTN shows Q:diamond: K:spade:
      (Pre 45%, Flop 91.2%, Turn 95.5%)

BTN wins $2.04

20/13 steal 21% 257 hands AF 1.9

should i bet the river and represent the ace?
  • 1 reply
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Hi Shady!

I think your 3bet is too much to the small side - especially for this limit. Don't forget you're playing out of position; there is nothing wrong in raising a bit bigger out of position (say, 4x) and a tiny bit smaller (say 3,5x) in position. But 3x out of position in these limits is too small.

Also, why are you 3betting 99? For value or as a bluff?

You opponent looks very tight so I don't see a reason to 3bet as a bluff (moreover, you didn't bring us his fold to 3bet/resteal stat). I don't see him calling with many worse hands as well so your 3bet is not really for value...

As played I think it's absolutely fine. I *really* don't believe a tight/thinking player would fold the river to a bet - either with his KQ or any other holding like JJ. If you have a K you barrel turn for value; much of your Ax range is indeed AK! And if you have a weak ace you 3bet for bluff you're not necessarily betting for thin value (which could be ok but that's another topic).

All in all, I think since you've shown weakness on the turn it's fine to just give up the hand and save the chips.