SB ($3.01)
      BB ($4.77)
      UTG ($12.76)
      UTG+1 ($4.63)
      UTG+2 ($5.34)
      MP1 ($5)
      CO ($2)
      Hero ($9.65)

Dealt to Hero K:spade: A:spade: , fold, fold, fold, fold, CO raises to $0.15, Hero raises to $0.47, fold, fold, CO calls $0.32

FLOP ($1.01) 6:heart: T:diamond: Q:spade:

CO checks, Hero checks

TURN ($1.01) 6:heart: T:diamond: Q:spade: 3:heart:

CO bets $0.60, Hero folds

CO wins $0.96

v:35/23/31hands
  • 1 reply
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Hi nipbourne,

Mid stackers shouldn't ever call a 3bet out of position (they don't have the odds) so I'd def. go ahead and make a note on this one. Either he is not very good or is not a midstacker but juts a recreational player with a broken stack.

I think the way you played the hand is fine. The flop is not brilliant for a cbet as a bluff and it somewhat hits his calling range (AQ,KQ, TT, and even JJ might call at least one bet there) so I don't mind the check behind. Plus you do have showdown value; against this opponent I doubt but sometimes you can drag your AK to showdown and even beat some random AJ.

cbetting wouldn't be a big mistake as well; unfortunately it will not be so effective since he does have a short stack behind and if we get check/raised it's a bit of a bad spot. But we do have a gutshot, overcards and a backdoor flush draw.

As on the turn, giving up is absolutely fine. Unfortunately, yes, we will be letting go the best hand here sometimes.

I'd say if you are playing this guy often or in a longer session it boils a bit down to frequencies. Either cbeting or checking behind the flop is fine as long as you don't bet only when you have strong hands and check behind every time you're giving up. So cbet some times for a bluff as way; not many, just some so he doesn't know.

Same for turn. Giving up is absolutely fine but giving up all the time can be less fine. Against a very aggressive opponent you sometimes have to look him up with a less-than-ideal hand just to bluff catch and try to keep him a bit more honest.

Against an unknown (which is your case) the way you played is quite fine.