SB ($7.17)
      Hero ($5)
      UTG ($7.39)
      UTG+1 ($2.22)
      UTG+2 ($5)
      MP1 ($2)
      CO ($5)
      BTN ($5.66)

Dealt to Hero 7:spade: 7:club: , fold, fold, UTG+2 raises to $0.20, fold, fold, fold, SB calls $0.18, Hero calls $0.15

FLOP ($0.60) 4:club: 9:diamond: 5:club:

SB checks, Hero checks(donk for protection?), UTG+2 bets $0.38, SB folds, Hero folds

UTG+2 wins $0.57

• 2 replies
    • luizsilveira
      Hi, nipbourne.

Donk for protection... of what? :)

I mean, our UTG+2 is a somewhat tight guy opening from early position. That usually means a strong range. Often there he will have 88+ and will have us beat anyway. We will play the rest of the hand out of position and that's not good either.

I understand that it is good to make him fold a hand like ace high (for protection, so he gives up his 6 outs to beat you). However, you always have to think which worse hands can call (I don't see many) and which better hands can fold (any at all).

If the UTG+2 have overcards with a flush draw, he is a slight favourite to win the hand with his 15 outs (9 for the flush and 6 for top pair).

Finally, you have to consider that if you face a good thinking player, when you donk like that your hand is face up. Would you donk with 99/55/44 that made a set on the flop? Probably not, you'd go for a check/raise. So many players, knowing you have a medium and vulnerable hand, will either call if they beat you or raise you as a bluff if they don't. Do you see how that makes sense?

All in all, I think against a strong early position range just check/folding is absolutely fine. The board is not even that great for him to cbet as a bluff against two players. Being out of position against a strong range you can play your 77 for set value only, no problem there. Play it for pair value when you are in position and vs. weaker ranges.

I hope I could help, good luck at the tables!
    • veriz
      Hello nipbourne,

While the board misses some of UTG range and SB didn't even show any interest into the pot you can as well consider donking the flop for protection from any kind of overcards and maybe even sometimes from FDs. He may easily even play all the PPs with raise there:

Board: 4:club: 9:diamond: 5:club:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    54.81%  54.45%   0.35% { 7s7c }
      UTG+1  45.19%  44.84%   0.35% { 22+, ATs+, KJs+, AJo+, KQo }

And therefore our hand isn't even that weak. Might even have wider range.

But of course Fit/Fold play is totally fine as well there and which I don't mind either.

Best Regards.