Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $2,06
      MP1:
      $0,72

0,01/0,02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.105 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with A:club: , Q:club:
      UTG1 folds, Hero raises to $0,08, MP1 calls $0,08, 6 folds.

Flop: ($0,19) 7:club: , 6:spade: , 3:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,14, MP1 calls $0,14.

Turn: ($0,47) 6:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,35, MP1 raises to $0,50 (All-In), Hero calls $0,15.

River: ($1,47) 6:heart: (2 players)

Final Pot: $1,47

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows (Ac Qc)
      MP1 shows four-of-a-kind, sixes (Ad 6d)

MP1 wins with four-of-a-kind, sixes (Ad 6d)

I guess I couldn't check/fold the turn?
  • 1 reply
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Hi, adsefghijk!

I must say I'm not exactly a big fan of your cbet on the flop. Our villain seems like a weaker player and they will often not fold. You are out of position throughout the hand, which is a huge disadvantage. And the board is low and drawy - not only you don't represent much but it is likely that he has hit something. A lot of hands are calling there, from pocket pairs to draws.

So you are not exactly betting for value (which worse hands can call that you will play profitably against on turn and river?) and it's a bad spot to bluff (which better hands than yours will fold?).

Thus I'd just check that flop and give up. Cbets for bluffs are often better on dry boards (less likely your opponent has a hand that can call) and when you are in position. Avoid bluffing much out of position.

On the turn you pick up a flush draw. I can see merits for betting now but, to be honest, especially with the board paired I'd just give up and not overevaluate my draw. Plus a draw on the turn is worth much less than on the flop (when there are still two cards to come), and a draw in position is worth much more than out of position (since you'll control the size of the pot better and get a better payoff). On top of that all, since our opponent has a short stack now we can't even rely on implied odds in case we hit.

So we can't play for value, and we can't bluff either - which better hands than ours will fold?

I'd would have given up the flop; as played the flop, I'd still check the turn and fold to a bet.

Try to play more in position and wait for clearer better spots, either to play for value or as a bluff against the right opponent in a good board to bluff.

If you have any doubts, shout them up!

Good luck at the tables.