Stack
      SB:
      $9,65
      BB:
      $4
      Hero:
      $1,97

0,01/0,02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.105 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A:diamond: , K:diamond:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0,08, 2 folds, SB calls $0,07, BB calls $0,06.

Flop: ($0,24) A:club: , Q:spade: , 8:diamond: (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $0,18, SB folds, BB calls $0,18.

Turn: ($0,60) J:diamond: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0,42, BB calls $0,42.

River: ($1,44) 3:spade: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero raises $1,29 (All-In), BB calls $1,29.

Final Pot: $4,02

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows (Ad Kd)
      BB shows two-pair, aces and jacks (As Js)

BB wins with two-pair, aces and jacks (As Js)

Did I play correctly?
  • 1 reply
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Hi, adsefghijk!

I'm not looking at the results, ok? If I know the results it will probably influence the analysis.

Preflop and flop I think are absolutely fine of course.

Turn I have my doubts. Yes we've picked up equity with our draw but what worse hands than ours can call? There are not many draws on the board (well, the strongest we do have, for the nuts); the only draw was a gutshot on the flop, some of which completed. A very weak ace is a bit unlikely since your opponent is to the tight side, and he might even fold those to a turn bet. He will probably fold a hand like KQ too but maybe not since he has now a gutshot as well.

River you fall in the same place: which worse hands than yours would call preflop, flop, turn AND river? I don't see any.

So I think your question is the turn: EITHER you bet turn to get a free showdown (check behind river) OR you check behind turn for pot control and bet river to get called by a worse ace (even though there are not many since AQ/AJ got two pair) or even a Q.

I think in this spot I'd be MUCH more inclined towards checking back the turn. Our hand is quite strong, we are drawing to the nuts; but in the other hand, it's a bit vulnerable and it would suck big time if we got check/raised on the turn don't you think? We would have to fold, and it would be a shame to give up on such a strong hand+draw.

So I'd check behind turn to either call a bet on the river or bet myself if he checks. I don't think our hand is strong enough to get all three streets of value since there are not many worse hands in his range that can take so much pressure (bare in mind we are showing lots of strength ourselfs, opening from early position and betting three times. AK is the very minimum we have here and many players will notice that, even if not fully consciously).

It would change quite a bit if our big blind was much looser, like those guys with 30+ VPIP. Then he has many many weak aces on his range and is usually not folding them so we can go for max value.