Stack
      Hero:
      $2,6
      MP1:
      $1,05
      CO:
      $3,24

0,01/0,02 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.105 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:diamond: , J:diamond:
      3 folds, MP1 calls $0,02, 2 folds, CO raises to $0,10, 2 folds, Hero calls $0,08, MP1 folds.

Flop: ($0,23) Q:club: , J:heart: , 2:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,17, CO calls $0,17.

Turn: ($0,57) Q:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,42, CO folds.

Final Pot: $0,99

Is it ok to 2nd barrel the turn?
  • 1 reply
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Hi, adsefghijk!

It is *ok* to barrel. By *ok* I mean: not horrible, not brilliant.

It's a very bad card to bluff on; bad spots for bluffs mean good spots for value.

But seeing the hand from the start: preflop your hand is marginal. Our CO is a rather tight guy who doesn't raise that often. It would be good to have his positional stats though. Since your hand is suited and has better playability I think it's ok to call, hoping the weaker MP1 will come along. However, bare in mind that you will play your hand out of position - which is a big disadvantage. Plus, if you do hit an A against a CO you can seldom be happy. If you get action, he will often have you beat by a better ace (AQ/AK).

On the flop, why do you bet into him?

Making you a different (but complimentary) question, which type of hands would you bet there?

I'd be more inclined to check and wait to call his cbet. I can see some merits for betting as well but I often don't like this kind of bet (which is called a donk bet) without any reasons to do so. If he is a tight aggressive player he will often cbet that board and then you pick up the bluff; if you bet, he can fold all the hands you beat and continue only with the ones that beat you!

On the turn it's fine. A second Q makes less likely for him to have a Q (only two left in the deck), so betting for value is ok. However, again, which worse hands than yours can call? KJ and that's it, as I see. Even KJ might fold. TT folds. AK only has a gutshot. So there is not much value to pick up, and no better hands than yours will fold. Again, against a more aggressive opponent I'd just check and hope he would either bluff or make a very thin valuebet with KJ. Moreover, if we check and he checks back we are more likely to get called if we bet the river by a hand like JT or TT that can't hold too much pressure. We don't have a strong enough hand to bet flop, turn AND river anyway, so between flop&turn or flop&river I'd go with the latter and give villain some air so he can actually call with worse (mind that it is NOT slowplaying, but playing "way ahead/way behind" - if you have doubts about this concept, there are good articles in the strategy section about it :) ).