[NL2-NL10] nl4 Overpair vs Aggression...

• Ghartman
      Ghartman
      Bronze
      SB:
      $4.29
      BB:
      $6.21
      MP2:
      $8.09
      MP3:
      $1.52
      CO:
      $1.68
      Hero:
      $5.81

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.105 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with J:heart: , J:club:
      MP2 raises to $0.17, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.17, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.41) T:club: , 6:club: , 5:heart: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.41, Hero raises to $0.85, MP2 raises to $2.96, Hero??????

In the old days I would have been all-in pre flop with the Jacks but I'm a lot more sensible now! I wanted to peel a flop and then re-evaluate. As you can see the flop came low. What do you think the correct play would have been in this situation? Let me know...

Thanks
  • 4 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Ghartman,

Don't like that much the raise. What you gonna accomplish with it? How many worse hands do you see in his range which is even potting? What do you plan to do with the raise? :D Doesn't really seem that you had the plan while raising the flop, if you planned to raise then you also should have had the plan to go broke.

Another leak here is why do you min-raise it? It's just horrible. :( You ain't accomplish anything with it, even not protecting the hand.

So I'd go for Call the flop and reevaluate it on the turn.

Best Regards.
    • Ghartman
      Ghartman
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Hello Ghartman,

Don't like that much the raise. What you gonna accomplish with it? How many worse hands do you see in his range which is even potting? What do you plan to do with the raise? :D Doesn't really seem that you had the plan while raising the flop, if you planned to raise then you also should have had the plan to go broke.

Another leak here is why do you min-raise it? It's just horrible. :( You ain't accomplish anything with it, even not protecting the hand.

So I'd go for Call the flop and reevaluate it on the turn.

Best Regards.

Hi veriz. I had a plan for the whole hand. As I said, pre-flop I wanted to see a flop and re-evaluate, thus I didn't re-raise him. On the flop I was prepared to play for stacks, it came low and I'm either way ahead or way behind. The min-raise was designed to piss him off and re-raise me, which he did and we got the money in. Call a bet on the flop, see an Ace, King or another scare card and start doubting yourself...I see your point about him not potting with a worse hand than mine though but sometimes I feel that, in a situation like this, is it -EV to get the money in?

Board: 5:heart: T:club: 6:club:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    57.27%  56.73%   0.55% { JhJc }
      MP3    42.73%  42.18%   0.55% { 55+, ATs+, KQs, AQo+ }
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      It's not only -EV to get the money in but also it's -EV to raise this amount. So you kinda did 2 mistakes there. He has to be really loose there to go broke with such a range which you pointed out. Why do you even expect him to go broke with something like just AQ there? He isn't potting with those hands.
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      fold, because you fell in love with your cards and made a 'questionable' raise.
      but as you played, should of then shoved. he more than likely drawing or holding TT