[NL2-NL10] nl 10 s/h aqs

• gambleallin
      gambleallin
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $8.86 (88.6 bb)
      BTN: $16.74 (167.4 bb)
      SB: $9.08 (90.8 bb)
      Hero (BB): $11.51 (115.1 bb)
      MP: $9.94 (99.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A Q
      2 folds, BTN raises to $0.25, SB raises to $1.30, Hero raises to $3.99, BTN folds, SB raises to $9.08 and is all-in, Hero calls $5.09

Flop: ($18.41) Q 4 Q (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      Turn: ($18.41) 5 (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($18.41) T (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $18.41 pot ($0.92 rake)
      Final Board: Q 4 Q 5 T
      SB showed T T and won $17.49 ($8.41 net)
      Hero showed A Q and lost (-$9.08 net)
  • 6 replies
    • MJPerry
      MJPerry
      Bronze
      I would not cold 4-bet A-Qs unless it is as a bluff at NL10, depending on the opponents.

You will rarely get it in very good when the SB 5-bets; in this instance you ran into one of the best hands. Calling the re-raise is the better option here IMO.
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      I wouldnt call, but that flop is amazing. And then you get fucked over ha.
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Hi, gambleallin!

Indeed, you need very very good reads to do a 4bet there - and it will be a bluff since your hand is certainly not strong enough. And I don't recommend pulling that kind of bluff ever on NL10.

So, yeah, after the SB 3bets your AQ is an easy fold since you are only ahead of his bluffing range; you are either flipping or loosing badly against the hands he 3bets for value. Thus you need tons of fold equity to make that play, and that you can only have with very very good reads on opponents, his ranges, etc.

Don't feel afraid of folding strong hands if your opponents are showing you they have even stronger hands! AQ plays well postflop, especially in position, but is far from strong enough to go all in preflop in the majority of cases.

edit: and please try not to post results :D
    • gambleallin
      gambleallin
      Bronze
      yes i do get done over... thx for that lol!!
      its not some thing i'd make a habbit of, but really thought on what id seen of that player up till then, that i probly had the best hand. i didnt give the first raiser any credit and that poss the small blind was re-stealing. and how he was playing if i had called and bet the turn i think he would of shoved over the top any ways. is better just to call there out of pos then or to fold ty :)
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gambleallin
      yes i do get done over... thx for that lol!!
      its not some thing i'd make a habbit of, but really thought on what id seen of that player up till then, that i probly had the best hand. i didnt give the first raiser any credit and that poss the small blind was re-stealing. and how he was playing if i had called and bet the turn i think he would of shoved over the top any ways. is better just to call there out of pos then or to fold ty :)
      I think a call there is actually pretty pretty bad :P

In the best scenario you will play out of position without initiative in a multiway pot with a hand that is often dominated (By AK/AA/KK/QQ) and is a drawing hand (you are flipping even against 22!). And it's the case that, if you hit you have not much implied odds and huge reverse implied odds.

Worse case scenario the original raiser 4bets and you are in a even uglier spot.

Don't get yourself in those spots... just fold and save your $ for better and clearer situations ;)

[edited for typo]
    • gambleallin
      gambleallin
      Bronze
      good good thx :D