Hi all!

• 25 replies
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hello Butterballa,

Welcome to our community!

I'm so happy you came to the forum :) well done!

Now, tell us a little bit more about you. Where are you from? Have you been playing poker for long or just started the game?

wee, have another zillion questions but I'm patient :tongue:

Ingrid
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by IngridN

wee, have another zillion questions but I'm patient :tongue:

Ingrid
      Im not :P

So where you from?
      How old are you?
      Played much poker before? Live or online? or both? or neither?
      What's your favourite song of all time?
      Most embarrassing moment?

Hehe feel free to answer as many or as little as you like and ask us as many questions as you want too we are here to help :)

All the best
      Carl
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      what color is your wall?
      what do you eat for breakfast?
      why do you play poker?
      what is your favourite non-alcoholic drink?
      what is your favourite alcoholic drink?
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Spungeh
      what color is your wall?
      what do you eat for breakfast?
      why do you play poker?
      what is your favourite non-alcoholic drink?
      what is your favourite alcoholic drink?
      :D spungeh you're so funny!

however, what color is your wall? <<--- isn't this a bit of a weird question? lol
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      well yeah it is.. but its better than the first few that came to my head..

what side of the bed do you get out of? for instance..

Im in my bedroom, and just looked around.. which is where the bed and wall came from. :D
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      omg we should totally make an epic thread where we ask questions and make the longest question/answer war! I'll think of it tomorrow and make one in fun off topics.. would be so cool :D
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by IngridN
      omg we should totally make an epic thread where we ask questions and make the longest question/answer war! I'll think of it tomorrow and make one in fun off topics.. would be so cool :D
      As long as i also get credit for it :D

Can be

'Spungeh & Ingrind Question Time'

:D :f_biggrin:
    • Butterballa
      Butterballa
      Bronze
      LOL so many questions! In order of hilarity:

1. White walls
      2. 24
      3. From near Vancouver, B.C., a friend of mine referred me, i'm pretty happy so far!
      4. I play because I want to really push myself to succeed at it. My buddy has been watching a lot of videos and reading, and he's teaching me what he's learned so far. Long way to go, but both of us intend on doing this for a living. I can see no better job out there, if I can improve enough. So far +$21, was up to +$50 but had some bad beats, it happens i guess. All in all, being up 40% of your starting money after a long, full day is probably above average i guess!

How about you guys, where you from? When did you start visiting the site? Do any of you play professionally? How long? Making a living off it? Do you see it as a viable choice for those of us willing to put in the time to study and get better?
    • Butterballa
      Butterballa
      Bronze
      Wow so my first day has been GREAT! Halfway to clearing the $50, and hitting a 9.81BB/100 at .5/.10 blinds, which i have read is quite good, I feel like I'm absolutely dominating at this level and hope to move up quick.. I think I'm gonna do well here.

Thanks again for the warm welcomes!
    • Butterballa
      Butterballa
      Bronze
      Forgot to mention I am now 5$ away from officially doubling the starting money! I doubled it almost right away with some amazing hands to start, lost a bunch, now I'm back up to 95! Yay! I'm half-decent at poker!
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      wow that's really excellent results! :) nice job sir.
      i hope you are practicing some sort of brm or else its gonna be busto-town sooner or later.

btw a warm welcome from me too! :D

where did your name come from? the candy? i looove those.

smiles,
      wendy
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      BRM :D

I learnt the hard way :D
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Butterballa

How about you guys, where you from? When did you start visiting the site? Do any of you play professionally? How long? Making a living off it? Do you see it as a viable choice for those of us willing to put in the time to study and get better?
      Im from England, Hull to be precise started visiting nearly 2 years ago now i think.

I don't play professionally, i have had a couple of ok cashes in mtts in the past for a few hundred$ but nothing major, many of our members do play professionally though im sure you will get to meet them as you explore the site.

If you are willing to put in enough time and effort and then a bit more effort after that then the sky really is the limit if you are determined enough you can reach any stakes.

As the others said bankroll management is super important on our way to success though because we cant climb the stakes if we keep busting our accounts :D

Good luck mate hope to see you posting around more

All the best
      Carl
    • Butterballa
      Butterballa
      Bronze
      I have definitely read about bankroll management. I'm being cautious NOT to push all-in or lose a big chunk if I'm not certain I have the best hand, so I'm not too worried. I learned my lesson with my first couple deposits :tongue:

I will be posting here for sure! Good luck out there
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      Excellent, good luck at the tables.
    • Butterballa
      Butterballa
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Spungeh
      BRM :D

I learnt the hard way :D
      Oh my.. How about some tilt management resources? Anybody?

After having played very well up to 100 (took me 12 hours) I lost 60 in under an hour. That frustrated the hell out of me, and in my tilty state I did the dumbest thing I could have done: I put all my money (40) into a .50/1 table and figured I would pay for one round of blinds, on the chance that I hit something.

Hilariously, after folding the BB, I got AKs on the small. 2 players called and I limped in (Partially because 10x my regular limit scared the hell out of me). I FLOPPED THE FLUSH! I checked and continued to slowplay, button raised and I called, it's now headsup on turn which is a rag. I checked, he raised the pot, I pushed and his JJ dropped.

Horrible, horrible decision to play that table but I'm SO thankful i don't have to spend another 12 hours busting my ass from 40 to 100 again. Now at least I can spend 12 busting from 90 to 150 xD

Tilt management though, anyone? There must be resources somewhere, I am very tilty when I have a bad run if it's not my fault.. I am not used to the variance yet I guess, I know I was not playing badly on those losses today, each time I called I was ahead but lost to <10% chances
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      tilt management is probably the most important and hardest thing to manage.
      you could've easily ended up in busto-town with your little adventure there :D approximately 50% preflop. whew!

i'm glad to hear you survived it. i've literally read hundreds of threads where they do end up busting and ranting about it and unable to play coz of course they have no more roll to recover with. BRM = nuts! let's just say you ALMOST learned the hard way :f_biggrin:

i myself tilt pretty bad, but i'm working on it! some stuff which helped me:
      reading books - The Poker Mindset, vid series - Eightfold Path to Poker Enlightenment, some articles -

Tilt: introduction

and all the ones that come after it.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      oh wait, you don't have access yet. i'm sure you will reach silver pretty soon as long as you keep playing.
    • Butterballa
      Butterballa
      Bronze
      I know.. I think that tilt was a one-off. I was just really frustrated with all the big losses in a row.

I forgot to mention... I'm an extremely obsessive person, and at the moment I'm unemployed so I have nothing but free time when I'm not out searching for a job. On that note, I managed to clear this bonus in only 2 days! I dunno if that's a record or something, but my eyes are basically glowing. I've been glued to the computer since starting, I would have to say over 24 hours of play in 2 days.

I think if nothing else, this proves that sites like this are essential to new players. I sucked so bad when I played a few months back, I lost everything right away. I decided to try again, with 3 weeks of studying and a bit of coaching, and well.. There ya go!

1000 more thanks to pokerstrategy and forum-goers for the help! You guys are really awesome :f_love: