$9.90
      BB:
      $5.13
      MP1:
      $11.05
      MP2:
      $8.15

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, Q.
      3 folds, CO raises to $0.30, BU folds, Hero raises to $0.90, BB folds, CO calls $0.60.

Flop: ($1.9) 2, 3, Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.00, CO calls $1.00.

Turn: ($3.9) 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.50, CO calls $2.50.

River: ($8.9) K (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $5.70, Hero calls $5.50.

Final Pot: $20.1.
      Results follow:

CO shows a pair of twos(5 4).
      Hero shows two pairs, queens and twos(A Q).

CO wins with a pair of twos(5 4).
      Hero wins with two pairs, queens and twos(A Q).
      As the hand was played, I had little read about my opponent. I 3bet preflop to avoid playing Aq oop. I value bet flop/ turn with tptk, however a K came on river and it completes flush draw. I didn't put my opponent on much flushdraw there, however | clearly never guessed he got 45s. I check called river without thinking too much about it. But if I think about it afterwards I actually believe check/folding was a decent play.
  • 4 replies
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Hi, liguolong!

Since preflop your hand is interesting. I know coaches who would say that's an easy call and other who would say that's an obvious 3bet.

It obviously depends a lot on who are both the CO and the BB. If the BB is super nitty I'd be more inclined to call at these limits because people tend to overplay top pairs with Ax and KQ/QJ which we dominate. But I can't see 3betting as bad as well since we will hardly get a huge payoff and have big reverse implied odds ourselves.

On the river you have a very interesting spot. You can't really bet and you can't really check/call. All hands villain bets for value have you beat (like KQ and the flush); all his medium range (like other Q, JJ or whatever) just check behind I think. And there are seldom any bluffs on his range as he shouldn't really call pre, flop and turn with something like A5 (even though of course I've seen people doing).

A player double floating you in a 3bet pot with zero equity is as well very unlikely.

The only thing that makes me suspicious is there are not many diamond flush draws in his range once the K hits. Is he calling you with suited connectors? If so he should raise flop as he must rely on fold equity. You have the Q :diamond: so he can't really have A:diamond: Q:diamond: or K:diamond: Q:diamond: .

Even with that, I can only see check/fold. I don't think there is much sense in betting yourself since all your value range would shove and it's a bit silly to bet/fold since you'll have most of your stack in anyway - only advantage is exactly because of that I don't think he is never bluff-raising ever.

Anyway, still check/fold seems best play. I think most of it is myself being influenced by the result (please try next time not to post the results).

Since you did check/call, don't forget to make note and keep an eye on villain.

Since it's a tricky spot I'll ask for a second opinion though.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello liguolong,

Preflop: Even if you go for the 3bet then I'd definitely 3bet it bigger vs 3xBB raise, ~$1,20. Also the 3betting ain't wrong here while we have a BB behind us who most likely is even loose according his stack.

As played
      Postflop: But otherwise, I'd still Bet the flop bigger ~$1,40. And rather block-bet/Fold the river ~$3-4 than Check/Call while there ain't gonna be even many draws which missed, neither he isn't going to bluff. If you Check then it's a Check/Fold.

Best Regards.
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Hello liguolong,

Preflop: Even if you go for the 3bet then I'd definitely 3bet it bigger vs 3xBB raise, ~$1,20. Also the 3betting ain't wrong here while we have a BB behind us who most likely is even loose according his stack.

As played
      Postflop: But otherwise, I'd still Bet the flop bigger ~$1,40. And rather block-bet/Fold the river ~$3-4 than Check/Call while there ain't gonna be even many draws which missed, neither he isn't going to bluff. If you Check then it's a Check/Fold.

Best Regards.
      Yup, the 3bet preflop was too small.

BUT... can you bet/fold the river considering stack sizes? If he 3bets to $1,2, bets $1,4 on the flop and $3 on the turn he'll have a pot of ~11.2 and a stack of ~$4,4. How can he bet $3/fold? To save 13BB into a pot of 200+?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      BUT... can you bet/fold the river considering stack sizes? If he 3bets to $1,2, bets $1,4 on the flop and $3 on the turn he'll have a pot of ~11.2 and a stack of ~$4,4. How can he bet $3/fold? To save 13BB into a pot of 200+?

Well, I am talking obviously about right now and Bet/Fold $3 is still possible. I just don't get why we should be committed? Even if we have just $3 behind us. If he is never-ever raising there with worse. If we would have played it differently and different sizes then would be of course different line on the river.