Seat Selection Question

• JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      Whenever I join a table with a loose/passive midstacked fish and a few full stacked or deep stacked meh TAGish regs do I:

(a) want position on the fish- given that money will generally flow to the left and I will profit more from the fish in position, even though he doesn't have a full stack; or

(b) want position on the deep stacked players - in PLO position is more important than anything else, being out of position against deep stacked opponents is going to be a bad situation.

Playing NLH, I'd always go for (a), but for PLO I'm not so sure...
  • 7 replies
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      Your position against deep stacked opponents is irrelevant until the point you yourself are also deep stacked. So don't worry about them to start with.

Deep stacked opponents are often quite good at the game however (or just lucky and aggressive). I generally ignore my position relative to the fish as I can get his money either way. What I care about is my position against the best players at the table, as these will be the ones that cost me the most money.
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      Thanks Ribbo.
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      Against loose-passive players the position isn't as important as against good players.

I have used the golden rule that you want to have the most predictable players to your right, and more unpredictable ones to your left. Loose-passive, short stacked and nitty players are all pretty predictable, while lag's and tag's can do various things.

Or as Ribbo said it:

Fish gives you money in position and out of position, but against good players you can't make money out of position.
    • GodlikeRoy
      GodlikeRoy
      Bronze
      You want loose players on your right and tight players on your left. Fish are generally loose and good regs are generally tight so it is better to have the regs on your left and fish on your right. This allows you to isolate the fish more and play more pots with them resulting in more money in your pocket.

Having position on a good player isn't as valuable as they will adjust to you trying to exploit your advantage (ie by tightening up or folding to 3bets more) whereas fish will continue to play too many hands and give you their money.
    • SniffvsSnaf
      SniffvsSnaf
      Silver
      Originally posted by Ribbo
      Your position against deep stacked opponents is irrelevant until the point you yourself are also deep stacked. So don't worry about them to start with.

Deep stacked opponents are often quite good at the game however (or just lucky and aggressive). I generally ignore my position relative to the fish as I can get his money either way. What I care about is my position against the best players at the table, as these will be the ones that cost me the most money.
      But that sounds like you would like to have to good players to your right... having them out of position they will harm you less in that way... that seems contradictory to Kiberys and GodLikes thinkin....

Im always like... mhh yummy yummy gimme the fish on my right... but then before I sit down I see dangerous reg xy would sittin on my left than... and I go o no no no... he know how to take andvantage and to outplay me... fear fear fear...
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      The problem with having a fish on your right and a tough reg on your left is that your isolation raises don't work as often as you think. Tough reg spots it a mile off and overcalls which then puts you in a tough spot, as you will always be having to act before the tough reg, made worse by when the fish bets, because you want to see the tough reg fold before making your play.

A lot of the money from fish comes from marginal value bets that don't work when a tougher player is still in the hand and he will want to play with the fish as much as you will.

Fish are super predictable to play against and I am not interested in seeing them act before me because I know what they will do. Swap the positions around and now I can outplay the tough reg by having position on him and also outplay the fish because he is predictable. A much better scenario for me.
    • SniffvsSnaf
      SniffvsSnaf
      Silver
      TY