My first day with the $50 starter money!

• Butterballa
      Butterballa
      Bronze
      Wow, so.. I am definitely the type of person to find a hobby and obsess over it.. but I was stunned to see that I had played 2700 HANDS today. This was my first real online poker experience, I have done a lot of reading and studying with my friend, and it's paying off. I decided to play .5/.10 because I was making so little at the lower stakes. I was introduced to pokertracker, and it seems really amazing, VERY useful.

Stats for my first day:
      10.17 BB/100
      2744 hands played
      $56.66 won (Doubled the bankroll!)
      56 Partypoints

Biggest hand: 87s, one raise pre-flop called by myself and dealer. I flop the nut straight and check. Pre-flop raiser pushes to 3$ (30BB?), other guy doubles that, I put him all in. First raiser folds, 2nd calls, collecting me a 13.66 (136BB?) pot.
      Biggest suck out: KK headsup. I raise preflop, called. Flop is 8 2 10 rainbow, I raise, SB calls. Turn is 6, SB checks, I raise, SB pushes all in... I was really worried about a set, but he had been throwing money all over the place so I put him on A10 and called. Turns out he had 810, oops right? River comes up 6, giving me a higher 2pair and netting me $11.00. Can't say it's never happened to me though

All in all, I'm really proud of this day. It may not seem like much to the higher stakes players, but I have deposited money on other sites in the past and just failed miserably. This just goes to prove that if you put your mind to something, study hard, and really focus on learning and improving, instead of blaming bad luck, that your work pays off.

Bedtime for me, here's my final total for the day!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3679832/moneys.bmp

Thank you PokerStrategy for this opportunity!
  • 36 replies
    • Butterballa
      Butterballa
      Bronze
      I would not mind some feedback as well, are these good stats? And another question to anyone, how much harder are the higher limits? Is .25/.50 exponentially more difficult than .5/.10, or are they comparable? Seems like there are a lot of bad players that can be exploited at this limit. You run into other good players and learn when to step aside, but I found that.. well-timed aggression pays off a lot.

It feels like the other players are going "by the book", and their techniques are so obvious. Oh, you're raising on the button with no callers AGAIN with me as BB? Calling and insta-betting the flop if it's all rags has worked in probably 75% of these situations.

Also I notice I am able to put people on their hand, or very close to their hands now. I could never do that before, I was basically just a chicken with my head cut off, but now I'm consistently able to know when I'm beat or when I'm winning, save for the odd surprise set.

Anyways, I love learning new things, and there is sure a lot to learn here. So much more to NLHE than I ever expected.
    • patszerdonk
      patszerdonk
      Bronze
      Congrats! That's great achievement. Anything above 0 BB/100 is enough and 10 BB/100 is superb :)

By the way, you should read about "Bankroll Management".
    • deezer79
      deezer79
      Bronze
      Nice start!! +1 on the BRM comment tho. I know it's rough to start at such small stakes but to play with 5BIs is never a good idea. Good work.
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      partypoker low stakes is awful, due to rake.

But keep to BRM :)
    • Butterballa
      Butterballa
      Bronze
      Oh man, when I saw the rake.. My god, it's obscene, they're tripling what I've made! I now have 10 BI which is still very low, I know, but I'm playing extra tight.. and believe me, most of the people on partypoker are very, very, very fishy. If I drop down to a certain point I will most likely play lower stakes, but so far it's been a steady incline.

Thanks for the advice :)
    • gxtwo
      gxtwo
      Bronze
      I'd just like to reinforce BRM!!

It's ok to have an aggressive BRM as long as you have a plan, and strictly stick to it!

What is your plans?

-3BI wouldn't mean much to a player with good BRM. But a player using aggro BRM, it might mean moving down. be prepared and don't chase your loses.

When would you move down?

Well done on your win and have fun at the tables!

:f_thumbsup:
    • Butterballa
      Butterballa
      Bronze
      Well, I really do need to work a plan out because I still play like a fool somedays. I guess because it's "not my money" i'm a little looser with the tables I'm playing, but I really can't stand .1/.2 .2/.4 blinds, everybody plays insane and calls with anything there.. Even at .5/.10 people do but not as frequent. It just feels like play money at .2/.4

I think I will continue playing at .5/.10 because I do recognize the mistakes I made and I have been playing pretty straightforward and aside from the occasional (string of) bad beats I have been moving up. I also believe I'm above average when it comes to the nighttime (midnight or later) regulars, as I did nothing but climb when the tables got tight and everyone knew what they were doing.

When would I move down? I think if I drop again below 60 this time (cross fingers that I don't!) that I will move down to .2/.4 for a while til I grind back to 75. I don't find .5/.10 too challenging and I'm just starting.. It's just very hard to beat the rake. I don't know how that can be managed either, it seems like I'm only winning a very small amount right now.

If anyone has any BRM resources they think are good, i would love to read them :) Thanks everyone!

Oh and one more question: What is a good strategy for SnG's? If I wanted to play some 1$ sng's, do you simply multitable those the same way? Strategies?
    • gxtwo
      gxtwo
      Bronze
      so you've already dropped to $60 through bad beats?

would you mind posting the hands you lost the most in?

as for sng's i think a 100BI BRM is recommended, but I play cash so maybe someone else can give you better info.

What strategy are you using atm and how many tables you playing?
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Silver
      personally id say your fine with 50BI for SnGs if yu dont mind the very slim chance you ll go busto
    • Butterballa
      Butterballa
      Bronze
      I'm not sure how to find the hands and print them or whatnot.. Any advice there? However, I am just finishing a VERY AWESOME SESSION, I'm so stoked :D Pretty sure I'm gonna stick to cash games for now.

After losing that $60 when I first got up, (I'm gonna go ahead and say it was legitimately bad play on my part on at least 50% of those losses) I tilted and decided to drop the min of $40 on a .50/1 table and play ONE round of blinds to see if I could catch a hand.

To my amazement, I got AKs on my 2nd hand, 3 callers and I limped from small blind (I was wary of losing it all). So.. My eyes were wider than saucers when I flopped the nut flush. I again checked, BB raised, button re-raised, I called. Turn brought a rag, I checked again hoping to show weakness, and got raised. I pushed all in and took down his JJ to double up back to 80. I IMMEDIATELY left the table and went back to .5/.10 and spend the last few hours running that up to $143! I'm playing 6 tables and dominating. (Side note: NEVER going to do something like that again, I know how lucky I got there. I really need to work my tilt out)

Best hand today on .5/.10: Pocket aces in early position raised to 3x big blind. Raised by late to 3x. Re-raised by dealer to 3x that, I push all in, both call. Scary flop of x99, Q, rivered an ACE! 19.72 pot, or 197x BB WIN :D

HUGE hand, one of those rare ones I guess. I'm now 10 points away from 100 partypoints, and no restriction! I'm gonna continue doing 6 tables with the same strategy and work up. It's unbelievable how many fish there are at this limit, it's like stealing candy from a.. poker player?

Also had 2 great hands with ducks, flopping a set on each and winning large, busted people each time.

I'm really confident that I can do this for a living, that's my goal. I know the competition gets stiffer as the stakes go higher, but I generally have a knack for knowing when to play, and I'm putting people on their hands pretty well now. Over 4485 hands, I'm at 6.60 BB/100 and a pitiful $49 a day! I'm unemployed right now so I've really been hoping to make this into something, 4400 hands in 2 days is pretty crazy for a beginner I would imagine..

Sorry for the long message, but my enthusiasm is going nowhere but up. After losing money I've deposited in the past, I really feel like I'm getting the hang of this and I'm stoked to learn more and move up as quick as I can!

Thanks all for the advice!
    • Butterballa
      Butterballa
      Bronze
      P.S. I'm also glad I understand the crazy lingo now. I had no clue what the heck BB/100 and 19/17/45 meant before the past week or two.

Also, pokertracker is the best thing on earth. What a great program
    • KozakFB
      KozakFB
      Bronze
      TBH sounds like your on a heater and playing above your means.

Careful.

BTW your negatives about .01/.02 are really positives if you think about it. Thats the easiest limit to make cash even though it might be little amounts.
    • Butterballa
      Butterballa
      Bronze
      Sorry I forgot to mention my strategy for gxtwo:

Raise/reraise AA/AK/KK anywhere
      Play position
      Spot leaks in each table and exploit: I have a good strategy for cutting down blind thieves, which there are a lot of at this limit and they're sooo obvious.
      Knowing the right moments to bluff and WHO I am able to bluff based on the play so far in the hand (The strong players.. cannot bluff the idiots)
      Call suited connectors based on pot size, # of players, and whether I think it's worth it. Call most pocket pairs, play flop. Normally I'm playing passive (Is that just calling instead of raising?) and trying to squeeze out more when I see the opportunity: AKx on the flop vs a pre-flop raiser, and I've got a set? Definitely gonna be re-raising. I've made a lot of money off suiteds and pocket pairs so far.

I basically am not playing any trash, once in a while I'll limp in with some garbage and see what happens, but generally I'm just playing straightforward poker. I was getting too fancy before and it just does not work at low limits, people lack the ability to read the board and make decisions accordingly.

So yeah.. Nothing special, just good old fashioned poker.
    • Butterballa
      Butterballa
      Bronze
      Originally posted by KozakFB
      TBH sounds like your on a heater and playing above your means.

Careful.

BTW your negatives about .01/.02 are really positives if you think about it. Thats the easiest limit to make cash even though it might be little amounts.
      It's possible, but really I think I'm learning quickly more than anything. I've capped off my leaks and making way less mistakes every session. You don't understand how bad the people are at .5/.10, at least on partypoker, it is SO easy now that I know what I'm doing and after observing the strong players. It's unbelievable. I've definitely hit some great hands, but I've also lost my fair share of bad beats too.

I've always been a quick learner and my obsessiveness lends itself to improving at a rapid pace... I will be updating as I go, though, so we'll see what happens!
    • Butterballa
      Butterballa
      Bronze
      The other thing is, when I get beat.. The majority of the time I had a strong feeling I was beat, but would decide to play it anyways like an idiot. I'm trying to stop doing that. The point is though that I am really learning when I've got it, and when I don't, and that's one of the most important things i think.
    • w4terman
      w4terman
      Bronze
      ---->watch out !<----

something tells me that you are soon gonna have a bankroll of 0$

BM is the most important skill a poker player must have!!

1-2 bad beats some tilt are more than enough to go broke
    • Ibototo
      Ibototo
      Bronze
      I have idea how to play sng's for example one table 10 seat at party u do not need more the 15-20 BI. Every thing else is playn the math not the game . I do not trust that you would need more then 25 BI,if you have a bad day quit if u are running good play all day and night :D .
      15 BI for one table sng's show skills every thing else is nit play based on math not on poker.
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      i'll take 5/1 in your favour that he'll be busto by Dec 30th.

but seriously butterballa you shouldnt be playing at a limit with anything less than 30 buyins. you will go broke 100% of the time. I've played poker for like 2 years and gone broke loads of times not playing by the bankroll rules. I just takes time to realise your mistakes and become more discipline.

The only way you could play with less than 30 buyins is if your very experienced and move down strictly if you lose a few.
    • Butterballa
      Butterballa
      Bronze
      Originally posted by dogma18
      i'll take 5/1 in your favour that he'll be busto by Dec 30th.

but seriously butterballa you shouldnt be playing at a limit with anything less than 30 buyins. you will go broke 100% of the time. I've played poker for like 2 years and gone broke loads of times not playing by the bankroll rules. I just takes time to realise your mistakes and become more discipline.

The only way you could play with less than 30 buyins is if your very experienced and move down strictly if you lose a few.
      It's my playstyle. I've quite honestly figured out how to play these limits, i mean.. I'm 6 tabling and I'm 5.60BB/100 over 6500.. small sample size, I know, but I simply don't take the same risks I would take with a bigger roll, I might lose a max buyin once or twice in a 12 hour session because I'm not willing to risk a push in the same situations a player with a big enough bankroll would. Also, people are very predictable on partypoker, and after playing so many hands so quickly I'm pretty wired to knowing what's going on.

50% of the players are playing ABC poker and never mix it up, easy to prey on (especially certain flops.. easy money with their pfr if I'm putting them on certain hands) and you will quickly learn exactly when to get out of the way. They rarely bluff, and if they do it's super obvious because you know 3/4 of the time they're only playing top cards. They crumble to scary turn raises if a weak c-bet is called.
      30% are just absolutely horrible and push with top pair no questions asked or thought involved, easy money (Though these are the players who get lucky the most, obviously.. This is when you wait for the nuts or low chance of a draw)
      20% are thinking at a higher level than both, and those are the most dangerous I've found, normally these players seem to recognize each other and play very cautious back and forth. These are the ones you can pull off complex bluffs on, and they'll throw their hands out. They also bluff you back very well. They aren't afraid to raise pre-flop with cards other than AA AK or AK (the abc players are just.. unbelievably obvious with these cards)

Rough estimates, but that's what I've found after a solid 24 hours put in. We'll see as I move up in stakes, but for now, I'm not very worried about it because I'm not taking as many risks as you'd think. I'm more than willing to wait longer than most people would for a sure thing than constantly go for fast cash.