[NL2-NL10] nl10 fr AKs

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Party, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 9 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BTN): $12.18 (121.8 bb)
      UTG+2: $2.84 (28.4 bb)
      MP3: $10.37 (103.7 bb)
      CO: $9.40 (94 bb)
      UTG+1: $8.99 (89.9 bb)
      MP2: $10.27 (102.7 bb)
      BB: $3.90 (39 bb)
      MP1: $7.76 (77.6 bb)
      SB: $3.79 (37.9 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with K A
      UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls $0.10, MP1 folds, MP2 raises to $0.40, 2 folds, Hero raises to $1.20, 3 folds, MP2 calls $0.80

Flop: ($2.65) Q K T (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $1.68, MP2 calls $1.68

Turn: ($6.01) 2 (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero checks

River: ($6.01) 8 (2 players)
      MP2 bets $3.40, Hero calls $3.40

Results: $12.81 pot ($0.64 rake) Final Board: Q K T 2 8 Hero mucked K A and lost (-$6.28 net) MP2 showed Q Q and won $12.17 ($5.89 net)

raise/call3bet tends to be TT-QQ, when the Q came out and he check/calls i put him on TTT/QQQ and decide to check behind on the turn. my friend said he thinks im way ahead and that i should have bet the turn, which made me doubt myself so i decided to check the turn and call a reasonable bet on the river hoping that he would take a stab with worse hands. now i know the preflop line for QQ/JJ/TT i think i would be inclined to fold many hands because of this sort of play. what do you think of this hand?
  • 3 replies
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Hi, DrDunne!

I think you line is fine but it's very opponent dependant. You're saying a call 3bet is usually TT-QQ but some players call with so much trash you wouldn't believe. Other (like myself) don't even ever call (I either 4bet or fold 100%).

So it's good to know this particular opponent, if he calls many 3bets like this or not. This depends on how much he open raises as well. Keep your eyes open for all that.

Against an unknown I think your like is fine. Some people will also call with a hand like KQs, which also beats you. Against most players you could even have folded river as the only hand that could have called pre and called your cbet and you still beat is JJ; everything else most likely beats you. He could once in a blue moon play AK like that as well, so it's a bit close. Calling is not a huge mistake but I wouldn't mind a fold.

Good luck at the tables, and keep your eyes open for how your opponents are playing! As you climb the limits this will be more and more important.

(last thing: please don't post results as they might influence the evaluation. But ok, in the spoiler is already a big help, ty :) )
    • Slurpee
      Slurpee
      Bronze
      tight spot but not many hands we're beating on the river with TPTK i think i would just give up
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello DrDunne,

Flop: What do you think, what's the best option here? If you were the opponent and lets take into account that his 3bet calling range will be rather tighter since he does iso from MP. So therefore that kind of board really hardly even hits his range. Which might be for me sing of Check behind. We might get value from worse PPs/pairs by this and therefore rather Check behind. If you Bet here and get raised, what's your plan then?

As played
      River: I'd actually even fold, since I just don't see many hands which would even Bet here which we beat. Most likely we just beat bluff, since even if he had AQ or whatsoever he wouldn't Bet it, neither I doubt that he is turning any weaker PP/pairs into bluff.

Best Regards.