Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $2,14
      BU:
      $4,32

0,01/0,02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.105 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with K:diamond: , Q:spade:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0,08, BU calls $0,08, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0,19) Q:club: , 9:diamond: , 5:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,14, BU raises to $0,28, Hero calls $0,14.

Turn: ($0,75) A:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0,37, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $1,12

Did I play this correctly or should I have reraised at the flop?
  • 4 replies
    • Echoes88
      Echoes88
      Bronze
      Hello!

i wouldnt like 3beting on the flop since i doubt any worse hands will continue

But i dont know what his range could be
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Hi, adsefghijk!

No, re-raising the flop would only isolate you against the top of his range since he would fold all his bluffs.

If you think he is check/minraising that often as a bluff it's better to reraise I hand that has some equity but you don't mind folding, like AK on that spot.

Then again, once the A hits we can more easily fold; we don't even have position so our hands a bit tied. I'd only call if I already knew the opponent was very bad and bluffy.
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Echoes88
      Hello!

i wouldnt like 3beting on the flop since i doubt any worse hands will continue

But i dont know what his range could be
      We can't rule out 55 and 99. Also, he could indeed minraise KQ, QJ and JT type of hands. Q9 is unlikely.

It's a bad play overall and he can't have that much really. All in all it's a spot where he can't balance since he loses a ton of value with sets and if he doesn't do that with sets he's pretty much bluffing too much.

If he does that with some frequency I'd be inclined to turn some of my hands into bluffs and start 3betting, or pick a hand like the OP's and call down (especially if the A didn't hit) to bluffcatch and start finding out his range.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello adsefghijk,

If he is raising with bluffs then there is not a huge point to even 3bet. Since what worse will continue there? The only hope or point there would be if we think the opponent has also Qx/draws in his range.

Most likely I'd rather take a passive approach while the board is so dry and Call the flop & turn. For given that reason which we expect him to flat preflop:

Board: Q:club: 9:diamond: 5:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    47.06%  41.41%   5.65% { 99, 55, AQs, KQs, Q8s+, JTs, AQo, KQo, Q9o+, JTo }
      UTG+1  52.94%  47.29%   5.65% { KdQs }

Might of course adjust the range to smaller one but even then for the given odds I'd still continue on the turn while he could easily even consider to continue there with draws and it's a good card for him to CB. We can still easily fold the river while he wont Bet the river so often with bluffs anyways.

Best Regards.