BB ($3.10)
      UTG ($3.25)
      UTG+1 ($5.44)
      UTG+2 ($10)
      MP1 ($4.90)
      CO ($9.40)
      Hero ($12.71)

Dealt to Hero A:spade: K:spade:

UTG raises to $0.30, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.90, fold, fold, UTG calls $0.60

FLOP ($1.95) J:heart: 3:diamond: 3:heart:

UTG checks, Hero checks

TURN ($1.95) J:heart: 3:diamond: 3:heart: 2:diamond:

UTG checks, Hero bets $1.20, UTG calls $1.20

RIVER ($4.35) J:heart: 3:diamond: 3:heart: 2:diamond: 2:spade:

UTG checks, Hero checks

The flop did not look like a good one to bet so i just checked behind. On Turn UTG checked again so i thought it was worth a shot to collect the pot.
      Was i wrong? Just be happy to check the hand down?
  • 5 replies
    • Echoes88
      Echoes88
      Bronze
      Hello!

Most of the time he will have some pps and AJ-AQ. He might fold some of his pps, so betting is ok I guess, but id cbet the flop.
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Hi, YxieAA!

Sometimes against a range as strong as UTG you can consider just calling and letting his dominated hands like AQ and KQ get in trouble against you. You will play in position anyway.

But against a player who calls a 3bet out of position it's good to 3bet AK anyway so well done :D (the thing is, if he 4bets we are never happy getting it in preflop).

On the flop I'd cbet against most opponents - even if he might call once. You're showing a whole lot of strenght, you still have 6 outs (ok, maybe only 4 clean ones if he calls flop) and you can bet again on any Q, K, A or even a T to make him fold all his lower pocket pairs.

But you are right, the flop is not exactly brilliant against an UTG call3bet range because it's super dry BUT allows many pockets to call once. So rarely only one bet will be enough there. So if you are not sure about how or when to barrel on 3bet pots, better of just checking flop indeed and saving you money, because quite often he will call.

Since you checked behind the flop you capped your range: you never have QQ+ anymore. That way he can happily call you on the turn with pretty much any pair - and maybe even call you again on the river. So if checking the flop I'd go ahead and check the turn too, trying to drag my A high to showdown and hoping he was bad enough to call with AQ or KQ which we still beat :D
    • Philfox1985
      Philfox1985
      Bronze
      Some good evaluations posted, will you be evaluating many more hands in the future?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello YxieAA,

Preflop: Well, I already don't like that much the 3bet size. Of course it ain't wrong but just commit yourself and get used to make a normal 3bet size which ain't giving good odds for 100BB opponent. So I'd make ~$1,20.

As played
      Flop: Not much to do since his calling range is going to be rather stronger. All the hands we beat we are beating anyways by just even Checking, I'd give it up here.
      Turn: Don't like the Bet at all! What does it change on the turn what it was different on the flop? It's just horrible spot to Bet. Rather Bet the flop or just don't Bet it at all, standard Check behind.

Best Regards.
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Philfox1985
      Some good evaluations posted, will you be evaluating many more hands in the future?
      Thanks, I hope it's not a level :D

Depends on what you call "many more". At least some more, I'd say ;) (if poker strategy still wants me, that is)