How many people clear the $50 PS stake?

• Butterballa
      Butterballa
      Bronze
      I'm 28 points away.. Just wondering how often people reach the 100 points necessary to clear the stake money, and what kind of goals should one set after attaining it? Currently sitting at $92 and trying to figure out whether I should start playing some SnG's or stick to the cash tables. My BB/100 has dropped quite a bit since yesterday.
  • 23 replies
    • abhi147
      abhi147
      Bronze
      Experiment and see
      Theres no hard rule that says when you should sngs and when cash games

SnGs are great fun if you can have some patience. But do understand SnG gameplay is completely different from cash games

Read some articles

1 days BB/100 is pointless to even discuss
      Before anything can be relevant you should have atleast 30K hands
    • Butterballa
      Butterballa
      Bronze
      Thanks. I'm sitting at 3400 right now, still up but I realize the sample size is very small. I still have a lot to learn. How would you say SnG play differs? It seems like you need to make bank ASAP or you die to blinds and ante later on, many times I get trash cards and I'm never able to make a stack before I'm out.
    • suitedaces1701
      suitedaces1701
      Gold
      In SNGs, you play very tight at early stages. Loosen up when in middle stages. When you get to 10BB or less, you start the push or fold phase. You should try the 30 day free trial of SNG wizard. It will help A LOT!
    • Butterballa
      Butterballa
      Bronze
      Originally posted by suitedaces1701
      In SNGs, you play very tight at early stages. Loosen up when in middle stages. When you get to 10BB or less, you start the push or fold phase. You should try the 30 day free trial of SNG wizard. It will help A LOT!
      Thanks, I'll check it out :)
    • Gantz189
      Gantz189
      Bronze
      You should take into consideration how much rake your paying per SNG. It could drastically affect your winnings.
    • kolonel71
      kolonel71
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gantz189
      You should take into consideration how much rake your paying per SNG. It could drastically affect your winnings.
      At most sites, the lower level SNG rake is brutal.

I am sure someone can do the math in regards to how much it affects/effects your ROI.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hi butterballa,

i think anyone who wants to clear the $50 can definitely do it. the requirements are very reasonable and the time limit was made with beginners in mind.

setting goals is a very good idea. you can check out some blogs in the blog section to see how some of our members approach the game. i guess the most basic point is to set goals which are within your power to accomplish such as:
      - read x articles or watch x videos
      - play x number of hands
      - dont tilt, etc

as opposed to win x amount of money because really you cant control variance so its pretty pointless. at the beginning of your poker journey, you really should be concentrating on improving your game so that you can beat higher stakes.

smiles,
      wendy
    • Butterballa
      Butterballa
      Bronze
      Originally posted by purplefizz
      hi butterballa,

i think anyone who wants to clear the $50 can definitely do it. the requirements are very reasonable and the time limit was made with beginners in mind.

setting goals is a very good idea. you can check out some blogs in the blog section to see how some of our members approach the game. i guess the most basic point is to set goals which are within your power to accomplish such as:
      - play x number of hands
      - dont tilt, etc

as opposed to win x amount of money because really you cant control variance so its pretty pointless. at the beginning of your poker journey, you really should be concentrating on improving your game so that you can beat higher stakes.

smiles,
      wendy
      I did it! I finally cleared, took me 5300 hands but I cleared it and have tripled my money. YAY!

The game is tough.. a lot tougher than I imagined when I made my first deposits elsewhere, but I have a very solid record thus far (small sample size, I know) and I intend on running this up as much as I can.

Thank you again pokerstrategy, for any non-believers out there, trust me, you CAN do it if you put your mind to it!
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Butterballa
      Originally posted by purplefizz
      hi butterballa,

- play x number of hands
      - dont tilt, etc

smiles,
      wendy
      I did it! I finally cleared, took me 5300 hands but I cleared it and have tripled my money. YAY!

The game is tough.. a lot tougher than I imagined when I made my first deposits elsewhere, but I have a very solid record thus far (small sample size, I know) and I intend on running this up as much as I can.

Thank you again pokerstrategy, for any non-believers out there, trust me, you CAN do it if you put your mind to it!
      awww, I love happy endings! well done! :)
    • abhi147
      abhi147
      Bronze
      Wow that is awesome man
      You trippled your money and you say games are tough :P

Can you let me know your BB/100 ?
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      when i got my BR, i had shit BRM. and cleared the bonus in like 300 hands lol..

I did quadruple my BR, but still...
    • patszerdonk
      patszerdonk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Spungeh

me: 2 hands!

one hand on the mouse and the other holding a cigarette. I was very tense when I started to play with money
    • abhi147
      abhi147
      Bronze
      Originally posted by patszerdonk

one hand on the mouse and the other holding a cigarette. I was very tense when I started to play with money
      Lol N1
    • Butterballa
      Butterballa
      Bronze
      Originally posted by patszerdonk

LOL! Exact same here.

My BB/100 for whoever was asking, is sitting at 5.16 over 6400 hands so far. I need to start studying some more now, I seem to have levelled off up and down around $150 on my graph, with small dips and raises around that level.

As for BRM, I do understand that.. But I think it's my playstyle that is keeping the bankroll safe. You aren't gonna see me push before the flop with anything but AA or KK. I can't afford to push with lower pocket pairs at this point, if I had a bigger roll I would definitely start doing so when the game called for it. I almost never risk a max buyin on a table unless I'm 90% sure I have it, and thus far I'm right a lot more than I'm wrong.

Also I mix up my play a lot.. I'm finding that I psyche a lot of the regulars out, I'm getting a pretty solid hitrate on large pot bluffs and such. I dunno, I think I have a natural talent for this, I have always been quite good at reading people, and I STILL find that when I'm losing big pots, I had the strong feeling I was gonna lose but didn't trust my gut. I'm gonna stop doing that and start listening to my gut now and I think that should cut some losses.
    • Butterballa
      Butterballa
      Bronze

300 hands? How the heck did you do that? It took me 5500 and I tripled mine, 100 party points is something like 50$ in rake or more (I think it's 2party points for every 1$ in rake), that's phenomenal :D

Edit: I mean that's phenomenal if you cleared it in 300, that's crazy fast!
    • ryciaga
      ryciaga
      Bronze
      5300 hands, which limit do you play..? NL10?
    • Butterballa
      Butterballa
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ryciaga
      5300 hands, which limit do you play..? NL10?
      is that .5/.10? If so then yes, that's what i've been playing. Very carefully.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Guys, I am very successful at micro-limits(nl2-nl25) and my rules are;

1. BankRoll Management

2. BankRoll Management

3. BankRoll Management

4 anything else

5 Get the message?

Regards and have fun,

Mal.
    • Butterballa
      Butterballa
      Bronze
      Okay guys, here's the plan then.. While I am doing well at my current limit, I will move down to .2/.4 and start playing looser. The only reason I'm doing well where I am, as I said, is because I take very few risks and I tighten up massively if I suffer a bad beat or big loss.

Now that I have tripled that 50, I suppose a good idea now would be to play the lower limits and start playing the coinflips that I wouldn't play before. I would never push all in with a pair even headsup at .5/.10, but I guess if I move down I wouldn't be so worried about losing a BI. As of now, the only hands I'm willing to push pre-flop are AA and KK. Nothing else. I realize at times I am losing out on money, but I have not been willing to take the risks I would if I had the proper bankroll.

I will take everyones advice and move down to .2/.4. I'll start taking more risks, loosen up a lot for a while, see how that plays out. If I start doing worse than I am now though, I'll move back up and continue playing loose nitty (oxymoron of the decade)

Would any of you have good forum articles you suggest reading on BRM, and in general? Would be much appreciated :f_love: