What game should I learn? MTT/STT/NLHE

• MikeAK47
      MikeAK47
      Bronze
      Hi,

I used to play STTs and was fairly successful, I played up to the $22 level on Full Tilt, a mix of turbos and non-turbos. I still have my old bankroll tucked away in a savings account for when I start playing again.

I quit playing because I got a full time job, now I've started a college course so have a lot more spare time to study/play poker.

I've not played for around 8 months, if I start playing SNGs I'd probably be very rusty so would need to read up on some strategy anyway.

Anyway to the point...

What type of game do you think is the most profitable? MTT, STT, NLHE, LHE

Are STTs still infested with regs?

What are the games on Pokerstars like?

Is it a good idea to play at one of the smaller sites? Do they have less regs?

Thanks for any feedback!

Mike
  • 4 replies
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hi MikeAK47,

i'm not really SNG player so i can't elaborate too much on the reg status of each site. however, i guess it is safe to assume that most number of games are running on Stars, as well as most number of regs.

if you are looking for a room to play, why don't you check out this thread and look at the suggestions there:

Choosing the right Poker Room for you!

it's nice to see that you have some time again for poker. how is college going? what are you studying?

smiles,
      wendy
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Eeeeeasy one to answer this :)

The most profitable game is almost certainly going to be the game you enjoy the most. This is gonna be the game you will work at to improve the most eventually giving you a bigger edge its as simple as that.

You wont suddenly become a master of a game type you gotta always keep working hard but im sure you know this from previous success.

PLO seems to be the place that is literaly infested with fish atm but there is no point playing if you wont be motivated to study study and study some more.

Hopefully this will help you find the answer inside yourself :)

Regards
      Carl
    • MikeAK47
      MikeAK47
      Bronze
      Originally posted by purplefizz
      hi MikeAK47,

it's nice to see that you have some time again for poker. how is college going? what are you studying?

smiles,
      wendy
      It's going very well :) , I'm studying Computer Science, starting University next year, can't wait :) .

Originally posted by ExternalUseOnly
      Eeeeeasy one to answer this :)

PLO seems to be the place that is literaly infested with fish atm but there is no point playing if you wont be motivated to study study and study some more.

Regards
      Carl
      I've been hearing a lot of good points about PLO, people in another forum said the same, they also said it's a fun game to play.

I've already read all the strategy available to me on Omaha at this site and it looks like a very interesting game, the only thing that worries me is that the variance is higher than NLHE, but I'm sure the extra fish will cheer me up when I'm on a downswing :) .

Based on your post though, it seems like a good idea to try every game to find the one you enjoy the most so you'll put the most effort into it. So I'll try Omaha for a while until I can beat the micros and make a decision then... Looking forward to it!

BTW nice name, just named my new born son Karl (different spelling but still the same name lol).
    • Targetme
      Targetme
      Bronze
      mtt is best future in poker . Stt cg is rakeback realistically these days