asterixobelix2012
      Bronze
      Known players:       
      Hero:
      $6.58
      BB:
      $8.3

0.03/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.105 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q:spade: , 8:spade:
      7 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, BB calls $0.15.

I raised from SB to steal the blinds.

Flop: ($0.40) A:heart: , J:diamond: , T:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.3, BB raises to $0.78, Hero calls $0.48.

I had a double gutshot. I C-Bet on the flop and he re-raised. So at this time I had him figured on probably a pair or two pair. He could have called me pre-flop with a Ax or an AT, AJ or JT. Didn't think he would have had a AA,TT or JJ else he would have probably 3-bet preflop. He could also obviously have a KQ. I checked my odds, 5:1 and pot odds of 3.08:1. I needed $0.92 to justify the call and I was sure that I could get that on the turn.

Turn: ($1.96) 3:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $1.13, Hero calls $1.13.

The Turn didn't help me at all. His raise now gave me pot odds of 2.73. I needed another $2.56 to justify the call and I checked that both of us had more than that in our stacks. I didn't discount my odds cause his play after a rainbow flop didn't suggest he'd be on a flush draw. The only case I thought could be a J :heart: T :heart: which seemed unlikely.

River: ($4.22) A:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $2, Hero folds, BB gets uncalled bet back.

I didn't complete my draw so had to fold. Now my question is, did I use the technique of implied odds correctly in this play. Assuming the range I had assigned him what would the Equity concept have to say on this play. I would like to understand how I could have made decisions using Equity.

Final Pot: $4.22
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello asterixobelix2012,

Well, I am not a huge fan of calling the turn. Of course on the flop we might get some kind of implied odds while he is doing almost a min-raise. But the turn Call is bad since we could easily have reversed implied odds and which means he could easily have already KQ. Plus we are OOP, even if you hit it's gonna be hard to hit for us.

Best Regards.