[NL2-NL10] NL 2 FR 99 middle pair

• toteatoo
      Known players:

0,01/0,02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.105 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9:spade: , 9:diamond:
      6 folds, Hero raises to $0,08, BB calls $0,06.

Flop: ($0,16) Q:heart: , Q:diamond: , 2:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,12, BB calls $0,12.

Turn: ($0,40) 4:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,28, BB folds.

Final Pot: $0,68

Preflop: I have decided to raise instead of calling (as BSS SHC advices - 99 is highest pair from lower pairs and BB is loose player, so if he calls with 99 I will have good equity).
      Flop: Despite of having only middle pair, it is not probable he is having higher pair, although he could think I only steel blinds. So I have decided to bet/fold 3/4 of the pot.
      Turn: I have decided to bet/fold once again - when he only called my bet on flop, he probably doesn't have Q, if he slowplayed Q and raised my bet on turn, I would fold.

Is betting on turn OK or is it bad because I am isolating myself with better hands like TT, JJ? Which other hands could be in opponents range?

Thank you for your help.
  • 4 replies
    • ShaQQ
      Your line is great, on the turn if called it's a clear slowdown on the river, I don't think you're isolating yourself against TT+ Qx, on the river however, you will be if you decide to bet.
      In terms of his hand range I'd say bluff catchers, slow played hands, 55+. By betting on the turn though you're gaining far more information than if you were to check, by checking you open yourself up and villain can try and take initiative away from you, also when called you can safely say villain has you most of the time and you can check fold most rivers quite comfortably, but if you check turn and he checks back, on the river you might feel inclined to call and get valued 100% of the time.
      So by betting the turn you're gaining info, value betting worse and making the hand generally easier to play. GL! Paul.
    • luizsilveira
      Hi, toteatoo!

I really like your line too.

If you are playing a hand and everyone folded so far, just raise it up. Be aggressive from the start and you'll leave your opponents guessing - you could have something like AA in any spot.

I like betting the flop. You don't need to bet much though since not many hands can call you, there is not any draws possible, and you don't want to build a huge pot out of position. Even if you have a Q, you can bet small - somethink like 60% pot. In this case doesn't make much difference and I wouldn't bet less than $0.10.

On the turn I think you're right and should bet again. It's possible for him to have a Q but not very likely; since the 4 is such a low card he can still call you with 55-88. On the flop, he might have called you with A high hoping you were bluffing so he could take the pot by betting either turn or river. And you need to protect your hand because if you don't bet and an A or a K, or even a J or a T come you would be left guessing.

And I like the amount you bet, too. See, you don't need to bet much as a bluff and you can't bet much for value either. So it makes no sense to bet big in such a dry board. Well played!

What was your plan for the river?
    • toteatoo
      luizsilveira: Thank you for your detailed judgement. On river I would consider either blockbet (aproximately half of the pot to protect from larger bet if I only checked, and fold if he would heavily raised) or controlling the pot if on the river was some scarecard, like A and call eventual bet. What do you think would be better? Or is there better choice?

Shaqq: Thank you too for your advices.
    • veriz
      Hello toteatoo,

What do you think would be better? Or is there better choice?

Most likely you could consider block-bet/Folding there while there might even be worse hands which Call you.

Best Regards.