Hero (CO): $8.91
      BTN: $6.21
      SB: $1.82
      BB: $5.00
      UTG: $2.54
      UTG+1: $6.12

SB posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero has K:spade: K:club:

fold, UTG+1 calls $0.05, fold, MP+1 raises to $0.23, Hero raises to $0.65, fold, fold, fold, UTG+1 calls $0.60, MP+1 calls $0.42

Flop: ($2.02, 3 players) 2:diamond: Q:spade: 5:heart:
      UTG+1 checks, MP+1 checks, Hero bets $1.44, UTG+1 calls $1.44, fold

Turn: ($4.90, 2 players) Q:heart:
      UTG+1 bets $0.10, Hero calls $0.10

River: ($5.10, 2 players) A:diamond:
      UTG+1 bets $1.75, fold

UTG+1 wins $4.86

Didn't know how to react on turn. What do you say - should I raise?
  • 1 reply
    • luizsilveira
      Originally posted by StraGus
      Didn't know how to react on turn. What do you say - should I raise?
      Yup, for sure.

First of all, 3bet bigger preflop. You're doing less than 3x and I'd never do less than 3,5. Since there is also a limper you can raise to $0,80 easily... don't give them odds!

On the flop you can even bet a bit smaller since the pot is so big and you'll be all in soon anyway (which is what you want). But since they are two, and they are never ever folding a Q, I don't mind betting bigger.

On the turn I'd just shove since we have less than pot. It's not a brilliant card for sure, but when the second Q comes it makes it a bit more unlikely for him to have one (only two left in the deck). So I'd still shove and they could call with TT/JJ. I wouldn't be surprised if a weak player called with 99. The minbet can be a blockbet from Ahigh too. I wouldn't be too surprised to see A2-A5 playing like that if the UTG is weak enough. Sometimes they'll have 22 and 55 too.

All in all, it's def. a high variance spot since you will lose sometimes to a random queen. Then I think your line kind of makes sense. But two things point in opposite directions:

1) when a weak passive player bets super small then big it is quite often for value;

2) when he bets 1BB and you only call, he can be sure you are weak and never have a Q - maybe not even a good hand. So they will use this info to try to bluff you off.

The river is quite a meh spot. Now it's even less you beat; Yet he bets so small it can feel inviting. I do think he might play a 99 or so from time to time, but most often you're beat indeed so folding shouldn't be a mistake.