[NL2-NL10] JT NL4 on nice flop

• RDKNAUF91
      Known players:

0,02/0,04 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.105 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with J:diamond: , T:spade:
      MP3 folds, Hero raises to $0,16, BU folds, SB calls $0,14, BB folds.

Flop: ($0,36) 9:spade: , 8:club: , 7:heart: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0,26, SB calls $0,26.

Turn: ($0,88) 9:heart: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0,63, SB calls $0,63.

River: ($2,14) 6:heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $1,02, Hero calls $1,02.

Final Pot: $4,18

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a straight, jack high (Jd Ts)
      SB shows (Js 5h)

Hero wins with a straight, jack high (Jd Ts)
  • 1 reply
    • luizsilveira
      Hi, RDKNAUF91.

I didn't look at results since they might influence the evaluation but I'm usually *very* suspicious about these river donkbets by passive players. They often mean a lot of strenght.

Preflop is fine. We flop the nuts, which is always good, and the plan is simple: to bet. This is a very wet board though, which hits a lot a loose/passive range. I'd bet slightly bigger to get value, something like $0.32. Might sound silly but it makes a huge difference as it accumulates towards the river (and throughout the month). The same hands that will call a small bet will also call a bigger one on this board.

On the turn your equity gets thinner. Still, you will get lots of action from any 9, especially T9. You should get much less action from a hand like 78 since they now lost the bottom pair. But still, many bad players won't even realize they are now losing to something like JJ. I'd go aheat and bet again for some thinner value.

On the river I think it's close. I don't believe much the backdoor flush but it could be there. I do believe more in a hand like 98 but it's a weird line for it. 96 would make sense, and it could be there for such a loose player.

If we knew the opponent a bit better and we knew he was passive and not tricky I'd probably just fold. However, since we don't know him yet and he's giving us great price I'd go ahead and make the call. Sometimes he might play a T, especially 9T, exactly like this since he hit a straight on the river, and sometimes he might be "blockbetting" with a 9. We need only win 1 out of 4 to break even so I'd call this once and get a bit more information to use it in future hands. Then we can play our opponent knowing a bit more how he plays his made hands or draws, if he makes silly bluffs, etc., and adapt accordingly.