Stack
      SB:
      $1,92
      MP1:
      $4,55
      Hero:
      $2,13

0,01/0,02 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.105 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:heart: , J:club:
      MP1 raises to $0,06, 2 folds, Hero calls $0,06, BU folds, SB calls $0,05, BB folds.

Flop: ($0,20) A:club: , K:club: , 9:heart: (3 players)
      SB checks, MP1 checks, Hero bets $0,15, SB calls $0,15, MP1 raises to $0,44, Hero calls $0,29, SB folds.

Turn: ($1,23) 5:heart: (2 players)
      MP1 bets $0,92, Hero raises to $1,63 (All-In), MP1 calls $0,71.

River: ($4,49) 4:spade: (2 players)

Final Pot: $4,49

Results follow (highlight to see):
      MP1 shows (Ad 6s)
      Hero shows a pair of aces (Ah Jc)

Hero wins with a pair of aces (Ah Jc)

Should I have folded after he check/raised the flop?
  • 3 replies
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Hi, adsefghijk!

To be honest, I think it could be overplayed in a sense.

Yes, the MP1 is loose and probably full of shit. So if you know him and has been observing he does nonsense or overplays some types of hands you can try to get with him into more marginal spots against him.

Just be aware that, not only this is quite high variance, your hand doesn't make much sense against many other opponents - since the preflop where AJo could be quite dominated against a tighter opponent.

Considering this hand is 100% opponent dependant it's hard to judge the particular case; you've been seeing the guy play for 41 hands and seeing what he has being doing; like said, yours is a fine line if he's just waiting to donate his stack away - make top pair with good kicker and get it in.

One last thing to keep in mind: as you go up the limits, you'll start to see players who are quite loose/aggressive but are actually really good. That's why we shouldn't say he is awful just because his stats are 34/29 (especially considering we only have 41 hands). That's why it's so important to closely observe the other players and their tendencies.

With this in mind, if you had observed your opponent well and played accordingly, nice hand :)
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Oh, just one tip considering your question: try to think of what to do before you bet. This is very, very important. So, *before* you bet the flop you must know if it's bet/call, bet/raise or bet/fold. Among other things, because if you bet, get raised and feel surprised your brain goes into "oh my god, now what?" mode and you stop thinking properly (it's called fight or flight response and you end up reacting by reflex and not rationally).

It's even important to plan your hand from preflop. If your calling AJo from a MP raise because the player is loose, bad and full of shit, then you must go to the hand with the plan of hitting top pair or better and getting it in. Thus when you get raised on the flop you shouldn't have a doubt: your question had been answered preflop.

Try to work on that and your game will improve loads. :f_thumbsup:
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello adsefghijk,

Preflop: Not a huge fan of flatting here while you even have so many opponents behind you. I'd really rather 3bet it or just fold the hand. AJo isn't the greatest hand to play in multiway pot and most likely we gonna play it this way.

As played
      Postflop: Betting the flop is fine, although I guess even if we are against a maniac or whatsoever player type since we don't have many reads on him then against his line I'd just Bet/Fold. It's gonna be more often a hand which beats you and I wouldn't be result oriented here. :) But of course if you Call it on the flop then we are playing for the stacks.

Best Regards.