[NL2-NL10] NL2 - KK good pot control on scary board?

• PlasmaLine
      PlasmaLine
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $2.95
      MP2:
      $2

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.105 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with K:spade: , K:club:
      Hero raises to $0.08, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.08, 5 folds.

Flop: ($0.19) A:diamond: , Q:spade: , J:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $0.09, Hero calls $0.09.

Turn: ($0.37) 2:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $0.18, Hero calls $0.18.

River: ($0.73) 4:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Final Pot: $0.73
  • 2 replies
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Hi, PlasmaLine!

To be honest, I don't quite like it.

I can see the reasoning behind it, especially the fact that we can't really bet the flop for value and we shouldn't do it as a bluff. However, I don't like that much to give up the initiative since we will put ourselves into tough spots against more aggressive opponents. Against a very passive opponent they won't usually bet weak hands/draws thus it doesn't make much sense to check/call either. We'll often be check-calling to Ax, unless we know our opponent likes to bluff and we turn our hand into bluff catcher (and this is seldom a good plan at this point since we can't really call 3 streets).

So, this is not a line I would take unless I knew my opponent would check or bet only once with worse hands but wouldn't call with them; however, I think it's usually the contrary that happens.

What I'd do is to cbet this flop anyway (and obv. fold to a raise), and probably check/fold turn against most opponents. More often than not, I expect hands like JT and QT to check behind on the turn since they don't have any value in betting anyway since they can't expect us to fold an A. Then if my opponent checks behind I might bet myself or check/call, again depending a bit on opponent. Against an unknown in these limits I'd bet small myself and hope to still get called by Jx and Qx.

I'm not sure though, so I'll ask for a second opinion.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello PlasmaLine,

Don't turn your hand into bluff-catcher. Rather just CB yourself and might even protect your hand there and get value from worse. But as played I'd just give it up on the turn while we are OOP and of course it's gonna hard to be ahead here so often. :( Neither we don't get the implied odds for the GS.

Best Regards.