NL Holdem $0.10(BB) Replayer
      SB ($10)
      BB ($10.10)
      UTG ($9.60)
      UTG+1 ($14.50)
      Hero ($11.03)
      BTN ($4.64)

Dealt to Hero A:spade: T:diamond:

fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.25, fold, fold, BB raises to $0.80, Hero calls $0.55

FLOP ($1.65) 8:spade: J:heart: 4:club:

BB bets $0.80, Hero calls $0.80

TURN ($3.25) 8:spade: J:heart: 4:club: Q:spade:

BB bets $1.50, Hero folds

BB wins $3.09

22/18/3.3, cbet 63, cbet turn 38, 3bet vs steal in BB 25 (20), 293 hands

so what are you doing here? He 3bets like maniac. He could have all kinds of aces and suited Tx. I think I discused similar situation and was told not to call in such spot, but in game I forgot it. I can be dominated and it will be dificult to play if I hit ace. Basically I will not be abel to bet cause I will not get too many calls from worse aces, from weaker ace at best I can get one call. So it means also that I can call only once if I hit and he cbets, oh but wait, on flop he probably would not cbet on Axx board with weaker ace. So I could check behind and call on turn once. And if he bets river, I am beat.

But also I called with the intention to float, because his turn cbet is low.

Another thing I could do is 4bet/fold. Do you agree that I should 4bet/fold even with AQ, unless I have AK, then call, beacause I will dominate all his aces.
  • 4 replies
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Hi, SPeedFANat1c!

I tend to do a bit the same but indeed it's bad.

I'll give my opinion and ask a second opinion from Veriz.

You didn't mention the #1 adaptation: tighten up your open range.

And yes, you def. can try 4bet/fold vs him with ATo. Calling is not good. From time to time you can call with something like AJs (but probably Veriz will come and think that is bad too :f_biggrin: ).

4bet/folding is good as well both to get a sense if he will fold or jam, AND even if he jams the first one we establish an image that we 4bet/bluff and he might jam lighter next time round because he thinks he might have FE.

Against such an opponent and depending on recent history (in this case, if you've been way too tight) it can be a good idea to trap: just call his 3bet with AA/KK and even QQ and call down. That's because (and if) he might tend to respect your first 4bet if he's not a maniac (and by his other stats he doesn't look like one).

I'm not so sure about your floating idea. More often than not you're just giving him lots of dead money. Are you looking for 3bet pot stats? Have you also looked how much he check/raises turn? Some of them love to cbet flop, check/jam turn and we can only say "wtf" and fold.

If I start calling I'd def. raise one or two of his cbets to see how he reacts - also looking for timing tells. I think it might be effective and it's much much cheaper than getting into turn play.

I'd probably guess too aggressive players at these stakes tend to spew *a lot* if faced with resistance. So I'd test the waters first, but then I'd be prepared to call/jam somewhat light if he starts to go monkey aggro postflop (e.g., 3betting every flop we raise his cbet in).

But yeah, this is all tough and very situation/opponent/image dependant stuff so I'll let Veriz help us both here ;)
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold

But I cannot tighten up so much taht not even open AT. I like 4bet/folding more then. And see how he reacts. Of course not much better hands will fold. AJ maybe and small PPS, but even those might want to stack off, cause againts AT those have good eqwuity.
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SPeedFANat1c

But I cannot tighten up so much taht not even open AT. I like 4bet/folding more then. And see how he reacts. Of course not much better hands will fold. AJ maybe and small PPS, but even those might want to stack off, cause againts AT those have good eqwuity.
      hehe, no, by far you shouldn't open fold ATo pre.

It's a good point of yours considering which hands will fold. I just think it is not that bad if he folds A5s; the problem with ATo is playability, as without a solid read on villain's postflop you'll win the small pots and lose the big ones.

And I don't think he'd start pushing small pocket pairs if he is not (a) a maniac; or (b) knows you 4bet bluff a lot. Which you shouldn't, by the way. But against this guys (always depending on how dynamics go) you can always include hands like TT in your 4bet/broke range - not because you will be fistpumping in terms of equity but because the FE of your 4bet + your equity (considering he'll have to push wide since we're 4betting wide) makes for a good equation.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello SPeedFANat1c,

Preflop: I don't like Calling here, especially with hands which are way too often dominated and you may do mistakes postflop. I'd either 4bet or just fold. :)

As played
      Postflop: I'd most likely just raise the flop vs such a CB. :) Of course his 2nd barreling value has a exploitable spot but most likely I'd just raise the flop and might even get some worse PPs to fold.

Best Regards.