MP: $9.81
      Hero (CO): $5.43
      BTN: $5.24
      SB: $1.62
      BB: $3.35
      UTG: $3.31

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is CO with T :spade: A :spade:
      1 fold, MP calls $0.05, Hero raises to $0.22, 3 folds, MP calls $0.17

Flop: ($0.51) 5 :diamond: 9 :diamond: J :heart: (2 players)
      MP checks, Hero bets $0.35, MP calls $0.35

Turn: ($1.21) K :spade: (2 players)
      MP checks, Hero bets $0.80, MP calls $0.80

River: ($2.81) 2 :spade: (2 players)
      MP checks, Hero bets $1.80, MP calls $1.80

bad hand to barrel? what about river? make it bigger/smaller?
  • 1 reply
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Hi, qnb07!

It depends *a lot* on the opponent.

To be honest, after he limp/calls I'm not even cbetting that board all to often if he is too much of a calling station. It connects a lot with his middling cards and he will call a lot with all sorts of trashy draws - plus, of course, his random pairs with the 9 and the J.

We might think that is good since we're still ahead of his draws. But even if he has nonsense like 67o we're not exactly great until the river. We're slightly ahead on the flop against this type of trash (60/40) but will often be guessing on turns and rivers. We'll often have to check behind turn and cannot really call a bet on river if he indeed bets. So pretty much a meh spot without a good read.

Ok, back to the hand. With a VERY good read you can bet flop and turn for value, but then it makes no sense to bet river (if you have doubts why, ask me and I'll elaborate). If it's NOT for value, it makes no sense whatsoever to try to bluff a loose/passive player who will call down with a hand like T9 - after all, he has a pair, on the turn he gets a gutshot, and "you might be bluffing" :) Refrain from bluffing bad/passive players.

Now let's consider he *is* a good player, just for fun. You wouldn't bet so small in a very drawy board if you had a very strong hand. You will often bluff a scare card and (K) and only QT got there. You don't represent QQ+ (betsize on flop) so only hand that makes sense is K :diamond: x :diamond: ; not many value combos then, but you have lots of bluffs there of course. On the river your bet doesn't make that much sense either. What do you want him to fold? Missed draws. But you beat a couple missed draws anyway with A high, so why bet? On the other hand, a good opponent will see there are some missed draws so will call lighter.

Anyway, sorry for writing so much, I just like to write. Simple evaluation is: no board is really good enough to try to bluff a bad/passive player :D