[NL2-NL10] NL4; SH: JJ against isoraise, turn-overshove

Bronze
      IPoker, $0.02/$0.04 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

UTG: $4.99 (124.8 bb)
      MP: $5.02 (125.5 bb)
      CO: $5.19 (129.8 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $4 (100 bb)
      SB: $1.46 (36.5 bb)
      BB: $6.79 (169.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with J J
      UTG calls $0.04, MP folds, CO raises to $0.12, Hero calls $0.12, SB calls $0.10, BB folds, UTG calls $0.08

Flop: ($0.52) 6 5 7 (4 players)
      SB checks, UTG bets $0.39, CO folds, Hero calls $0.39, SB folds

Turn: ($1.30) 7 (2 players)
      UTG bets $4.48 and is all-in, Hero calls $3.49 and is all-in

River: ($8.28) A (2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results: $8.28 pot ($0.55 rake)
      Final Board: 6 5 7 7 A
      UTG showed 3 3 and lost (-$4 net)
      Hero mucked J J and won $7.73 ($3.73 net)

The first uncertainty is the preflop play – I suppose we certainly aren't folding, but how to choose between a call or a 3bet? The players behind me seemed fishy.

We mustn't fold to our opponent's bet on the flop, probably, but then again, the board is not too favorable to us: what is our opponent betting with most of the time? And what to do on the turn? The overshove seemed not to make too much sense so I called hoping I'm ahead.
  • 7 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

Preflop: Depends how loose the CO is. :) By that I mean how loose does he isolate preflop, what's his PFR? Flatting of course is fine.

As played
      Postflop: Kind of interesting spot on the turn but more often I guess if he really had trips/FH he wouldn't ever shove like that, for that given pattern I doubt that I'd either be able to fold. :D

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      Yes, the turn is definitely a hard spot. It's just that I can also imagine him pushing something that beats me in order to protect is hand because the board is rather drawheavy. Of course it's bad play by him regardless of what he has, but it's hard to draw a clear line what my calling range on the turn should be.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      Yes, the turn is definitely a hard spot. It's just that I can also imagine him pushing something that beats me in order to protect is hand because the board is rather drawheavy. Of course it's bad play by him regardless of what he has, but it's hard to draw a clear line what my calling range on the turn should be.
      Well, of course sometimes we might see here something like 7x. :D But more often they tend to just ship with total crap. But you must understand also the point that there might be a lot different spots. Especially when they are shipping it on the river for example after your Check on turn or whatsoever. So practically different spots maybe be different.
      Bronze
      Would you say I can call with 88-TT on this board as well?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      Would you say I can call with 88-TT on this board as well?
      With them it would be a lot close since with 88 you just beat bluff. With them I might even consider folding but something like JJ+ I'd be towards Calling. TT is really close as well. With JJ we at least also beat 88-TT but with 99 or whatsoever we might only see one overpair.
      Bronze
      With 88 we also have an OESD, 99 has a gutshot. Is 88 really that close? 99 we could fold, probably.

Would you say that with TT here we have to go with our instinct as about whether or not to call? Or can we base our decision on some more rational factors?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      With 88 we also have an OESD, 99 has a gutshot. Is 88 really that close? 99 we could fold, probably.

Well, that doesn't give us much of extra equity. We ain't gonna be able to Call it profitable just because we also have OESD or GS.

Would you say that with TT here we have to go with our instinct as about whether or not to call? Or can we base our decision on some more rational factors?

Would be towards how we see the opponent and our expectations. Either we can put him on a bluff here or not. Since any weaker pair is pretty much turned into bluff.