[NL2-NL10] NL4; SH: K9o agnst SB raise

Bronze
      IPoker, $0.02/$0.04 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $0.56 (14 bb)
      SB: $4.34 (108.5 bb)
      Hero (BB): $4 (100 bb)
      MP: $5.01 (125.2 bb)
      CO: $4.65 (116.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9 K
      3 folds, SB raises to $0.12, Hero folds

Results: $0.08 pot
      SB mucked and won $0.08 ($0.04 net)

Our opponent seems not to be a big fish.

This probably is a fold, but what should our defend range be in such a spot against a basically unknown player, which we don't assume to be a massive fish? What do we 3bet with, what do we call with?
  • 7 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

Well, if I am going to write what kind of range, with what to Call with what to raise and practically all the play you gonna do either preflop or postflop I'd write an article about it. :) Which of course is the easiest answer for you here is the hands what I would expect to take as value hands I would 3bet. :) Also you could do it as bluff with the blocker as Kx hand. Usually with the hand like K9 we rather just 3bet than Call, more stronger hands like AQo and etc we could even flat and of course PPs.

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      If we have small pockets and we call, do we always fold on the flop when we miss? When do we not fold and why?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      If we have small pockets and we call, do we always fold on the flop when we miss? When do we not fold and why?
      Lets make it easy and simple, till you get the point when to fold and when not I'd advice you to fold. :) Since in long run it will be the easiest and safest way to play with them. Especially those who are new to poker and can't understand when to Call and when to play back or fold the hand are going to oveprlay them postflop. For that given reason -> Easy and simple rule, if no hit with PP then just fold.
      Bronze
      Ok, sounds like reasonable advice.

Im just curious - how do you get to that point? It ought to include myself playing these spots every once in a while. I don't seem to find an article written about this topic.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Ok, sounds like reasonable advice.

Im just curious - how do you get to that point? It ought to include myself playing these spots every once in a while. I don't seem to find an article written about this topic.
      Well, there are many articles missing in pokerstrategy but somehow I guess there should be something talked about playing PPs. Most likely the easiest way to do that is if you face any spot about PP then just post it. Usually the theory about PPs is discussed in Beginners Discussion section, if you want to can always open a thread into it.
      Bronze
      That involves me playing these PPs before submitting the hands on the forum. I just fear that I will always hear the answer "just fold if you don't have the experience" or something of the kind, thus preventing me from improving my game in this area.

But ok, thanks for the input! I'll try to figure a way.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      That involves me playing these PPs before submitting the hands on the forum. I just fear that I will always hear the answer "just fold if you don't have the experience" or something of the kind, thus preventing me from improving my game in this area.

But ok, thanks for the input! I'll try to figure a way.
      You are welcome! Hope you will manage to find out how to play with them, they are actually really easy to play. A lot more trouble are broadways and other that kind of type of hands.