mawaykid

• 14 replies
    • mawaykid
      mawaykid
      Bronze
      Homework #1

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      I want to become semi-pro in the coming months and then my great motivation to keep play and learn poker.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      My main weakness is not staying focused throughout the session, on all hands. Not following a hand to the sdw and not putting a serious note, or when I put these hands notes I have to open the replayer to see and understand all the action while missing other readings.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      TAG means playing a good selection of hands and creating pressure through bets and raises (aggressively) so that we can win at showdown or make the opponent fold. Why is it the style suggested to beat micros? Because it is in contrast to the field, they mostly play a lot of hands passively.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Lack of concentration is a common leak for beginners. They just play with music, watching TV, reading forums. But those kind of distractions really will just make you loose more money. Ain't ya there for win money? :) So act like that and force yourself always close all kind of distractions and try to stay concentrated on the tables. Everyone will find their own way how they are able to concentrate more.

What about tilt? Do you fight somehow against it? For example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

How often do you analyze your session?

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course. Some points earned.
    • mawaykid
      mawaykid
      Bronze
      But I do not play with these distractions, I have learned that it is wasting time and money.

I think my game is not change much during a session, but some days when I'm negative thoughts create negative influence my future sessions.

I review my sessions daily, try to see a table instead of the bigger pots or something.

I think my another link is think little of each hand when I'm playing. I can have good reasoning when I'm reviewing the hand, or comment in the forum, but at the time as I should not think too much about the move.

sry the english veriz
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Don't see any problem in your English, you are doing great job anyways. I have seen you couple of times even in the coachings. :) Lets hope everything will go even better than it's right now. Lets find some way for you to earn solid winning and like even more the game.
    • mawaykid
      mawaykid
      Bronze
      Homework #2

Question 1--> What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?
      I play sh but let's go. Like hasenbraten show we can use concepts like isolation and blind steal to improve our profit.
      We can increase alot our range on Bu when blinds are thight whit and fold much pre flop. And when they are players who fold alot pos flop, from cbet or 2nd barrel. We also increase our value range when they are loose passive fish on blind who like to pay for showdown with 2n/3r par.
      From Co the same, but now its importante look who is Bu, if it is a tight player we can steall her position and steal alot blinds, if it is a loose or/and aggresive player pre-flop he decresse our range of steal.
      Another adaptation is to reduce open raize size when blinds are shorty, short play more 3bet or fold, and if they are fish shorty with small size we have small pots when they calls and more FE when we cbet because they are less comited whit the pot.

we can change the range from isolation conforme the limper. If vilan do alot limp/fold or limp/call and fold alot for cbe or 2barrel we can have a winder range because we have alot of FE. when limper do much l/c or dont fold much pos flop we need stronger range. Concept of domination is important when some fish l/c with KQ,KJ,QJ, AJ and AQ in this cases we can isolete it with J9 or Q9 because we are dominated by her range, but if he like l/c with 46s or 78o and are very calling station pos flop Q9 and J9 are better hands to isolete he.
      Also we can isolate the blind from Ep and Mp. When there is fish in the blinds you will be + ev open a winder range because we're playing against a weak player in postion. Our range will be greater or less depending on the villains who are to our left (ip) if they are loose or are aggressive preflop open the standard range if they are tight then often able to isolate the blinds and we can expand our range.

Question 2--> Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      At this time no doubt.
      But to be honest I always have several questions about whether my movements are the most corect or not. If the situation that call is better than a fold or... - and so on. The next review session will separate some of these questions and post it here.

Question 3--> What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

pt.pokerstrategy.com
      Equity Vencer Empatar
      MP2 46.32% 37.92% 8.41% { AKo }
      MP3 53.68% 45.27% 8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

edit: 2. iso raise pre flop?
      good spot to steal?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. They can be very easily be balanced with even wider range. Depending on the opponent you can as well put a wider stealing range. Against some tight opponents who give up their blinds either preflop or postflop, why not to adjust? Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise, for example 3xBB. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands.

Isolating can be very profitable actually since people on lower stakes take the fast and easy line by just Fit/Folding too much. With that you will earn in long run a lot profit. Which means you can isolate with even wider range, sometimes even with the all range which you planned to limp.

Totally agree with your thoughts about adapting the raise size, really good that you had paid attention on that. :)

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • mawaykid
      mawaykid
      Bronze
      Question 1: You are holding K :spade: Q :spade: . What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3 :diamond: 3 :club: ? How does the equity change on this flop: J :spade: 5 :diamond: 3 :spade: ?

Pre flop.

Equity Vencer Empatar
      MP2 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% KsQs
      MP3 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% 3d3c

Pos flop.

Board: Js5d3s
      Equity Vencer Empatar
      MP2 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      MP3 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?

The 5c on turn changes to a 2par or str8 or a possible 55 I think it is her range. Imo, we dont have fold equity enough to play aggresively our draw, but we have a very good hand to fold, so call is the better option because we are geting good oods to call. We receive ~5:1 when we only need 4:1 with 9outs(flush draw), perhaps the 4 is a good card for we cause with str8 we beat 2par, set and is not likely he have 7x in its range, but perhaps we have to discount 6h and 3h because if he have set or 2 par(with 3 or 6)can complet full house than beats our flush, so 9 outs I thinks is good number of outs we have.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

FD+par agg or passive? ( turn i know is very bad play)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going! Sorry for delayed answer cause of the Christmas hurry.
    • mawaykid
      mawaykid
      Bronze
      Question 1:
      T8 vs nit (i do call cause we dont represent anything credibable.)

Question 2:
      QQ vs shorty (perhaps call flop is bettar if he is full stack, but cause he is shorty stack he will overplay all your hands, so raise flop to put him all in turn.)

Question 3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity  Vencer  Empatar
      MP2    41.41%  41.41%    0.00% { KsQd }
      MP3    58.59%  58.59%    0.00% { 7h7c }

Happy new year
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you.
    • mawaykid
      mawaykid
      Bronze
      Homework #5

Question 1:
      JJ

Question 2:
      ak

Question 3:

I do raise/fold cause he we extrat from Tx, JX, Ad, Kd possible KQ, so BB dont worrying cause its range dont have better, rarely he do call/raise, and SB if he b/r he have some TT,JJ,flush better (people in fr always have set right xD ) so I think is fold.

Question 4:
      I do c/c on flop, he cbet alot of worst hands. To c/c any turn, and revaluate river. To keep he with all range and not isolate with the best part of this range.

Veriz you see the hands that I post or is only to do? Was good some your comment to my played hads. :P
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #5 Done!

About Task #3
      It's a very close decision: does protection or pot control weigh heavier here? Do you want to protect against hands like 3x or A:dx and K:dx? Or do you want to control the pot size and try to induce a bluff on the river in case there is no T, no J and no additional ?

Raise/fold is out of question - with the given pot size and the good made hand you have, it can't even be considered.

In case you decide to go broke, you can't really be blamed either. It's not a sign of weakness that the rather tight small blind decides to bet into two people here, though. I would say a call is to be slightly favored, while the many outs against you are annoying. The big blind who calls rather loosely speaks in favor of a raise/broke again. Both options are finally considered equal, which shows - all things considered - how close and full of variance these spots really are.

About Task #4
      You've called pre-flop and then hit a good board. You basically have two choices now: either you assume that your opponent will go broke loosely or puts you on a bluff often and you thus check/raise - or you play check/call in the spirit of way ahead / way behind. The problem with the latter is that there are a lot of cards you don't want to see in the later course of the hand. All in all, it depends on your balancing as both lines make sense under certain circumstances.

A check/fold would be really pointless, of course. It's hard to say whether you should donk-bet here; donk/fold can be discarded as that would turn your hand into a pure bluff and your opponent would interpret this as weakness and start raising you out of flops with hands like AK/AQ/air. So, if you want to donk-bet, it has to be a donk/3-bet.

Veriz you see the hands that I post or is only to do? Was good some your comment to my played hads.

Yeah, I do see but I can't really read your language. :P By the way I am curious about Portuguese language, is it easy to learn? Is it similar to some other language? :) For example I have heard that if you learn Portuguese then you will also be able to speak other latino languages, is that true?

Good luck on tables and with the Course.
    • mawaykid
      mawaykid
      Bronze
      Homework #6

Question 1:
      limped pot

Question 2:
      kk

Question 3:
      I do call. Cause he s a station, he bet a stronge range like two Par, str8, set and TP and some 2/3par +gutshot so we call to keep he with all its range and not isolate only vs better hands, and call river again(or raise if he hit FH :) .

- - -
      Yeah, I do see but I can't really read your language. By the way I am curious about Portuguese language, is it easy to learn? Is it similar to some other language? For example I have heard that if you learn Portuguese then you will also be able to speak other latino languages, is that true?

Realy I do dont know if is easy or no learn portuguese
      I dont know much about grammar or other languages, I only speak portguese(and bad xD ), but its easy understand spanish/english for me, speaking and writing is more complicated. Some people say its easy too understand frech and italian (I'm not sure if these are latino languages).. as seen languages is not my area xD
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #6 Done!

So practically if understand Spanish you kind of understand Portuguese or vise versa?

About Question #3:
      Two lines can quickly be discarded here: fold and raise/fold; your hand is simply too strong for those alternatives.

It's hard to assess whether you should put in a raise here. When a rather passive player decides to bet into three players while being out of position, it does look strong. It's more likely an indication of a made hand than that of a draw.

A raise naturally protects, but you run the risk of isolating yourself against very strong range. Which weaker hands could your opponent possibly continue playing here?

The deciding factor finally comes in the size of the pot. This tiny pot simply isn't worth putting yourself into a tough spot where you could potentially end up risking your entire stack. A raise would be overplayed here and pot control takes the precedent over protection.

Best of Luck on the tables and with the Course.