genimelle

• genimelle
      genimelle
      Bronze
      Hi everyone!
      My name is Genevieve (my nickname is genimelle) , 21 years old from Quebec, Canada. My main language is french but I can communicate in english as well.

I just started playing poker 2 weeks ago. I prefer to play sit and go but most of the time I'm loosing or finished in 3rd position so I would like to improve myself in no limit games . I think my main problem is I'm not patient enough and by the same time not agressive when I'm having a very good hand.

Thanks a lot!!
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck genimelle,

Hopefully you will enjoy around here. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, we will be around for you. Meanwhile good luck on tables, we will be waiting for your homework.

You can now start with your 1st Lesson:
      Lesson #1

The whole course plan:
      Overview of Beginners Course

Best Regards.
    • genimelle
      genimelle
      Bronze
      Hi everyone,

Here's the answer for my homework #1.

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.) :
      The main reason is to make money an be able to have a second revenu. I would like to improved my strategic/logic skills and be more patient as well.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are making during your games? Are you playing while you're tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write down as many as you think are affecting you.)
      My main problem is that I'm not aressive enough. I'm always thinking the other players are having a better hand than me so I fold. When I have a hand that is not very good I prefer to bluff and go all in than fold. Also when I'm loosing I become angry and I'm starting to do bad moves. I think I really need to be more patient and be more in control of the game. I don't like to play for a long time since I'm new so for the moment I prefer to read and know more tips about the poker to be a better player.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is and why does it work.)
      Is when you have a very good hand and you play agressive, you don't fold for exemple AK or AQ. You try to play well but at the same time agressive to make sure you will win the pot.

Thank you :-)!!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Impatience is actually a huge leak for a lot of poker players. You have to find yourself a way how you gonna ignore it or make it disappear. Try every time remind yourself! Forcing into your life to be more patient in any activity you do, not only poker. Force! Force! Force! Always remind what you came to do and the patience will just help you earning more salary not the opposite. The more you practice, the more you will get used to it and even at some point realize that you even ignoring it.

What about Tilt? Do you adjust somehow against it? For example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course. Some points earned.