[NL2-NL10] Interesting hands and questions from 03/25 SSS Adv. Coaching

• xarry2
      xarry2
      Bronze
      Is is possible to resteal with hands that have less than 50% euqity agianst the stealing range?

To sum up, we can resteal according to equity and according to fold equity.
      I already made a post about this topic. Take a look at the link below if you're interested.

Interesting hands and questions from 02/27 SSS Adv. Coaching

You said NL200 is good for advanced SSS. Do you mean some limits aren't good for advanced SSS?

What does advanced SSS mean? Imo advanced SSS is a opponent-orientated strategy. The first conclusion is therefore:

Advanced SSS is only possible if we have information about our opponents

So, if you don't have reads (stats, history, notes) you can't adjust your play to your opponent.
      The other point is the limit we play. Imo one should learn the basics of SSS by heart on the micro-limits up to NL 50. Then you can start to learn other concepts like steals and resteals. Preflop Equity is also very important to master advanced SSS. Of course there are many other concepts you have to know - the higher the limits you play are the more you will have to improve your game in order to achieve good winnings - but I wouldn't care about restealing according to fold equity on Nl 25 :P

The rest of my post will deal with postflop deviations from our standard lines

Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)        
      Position:
      Stack
      CO:
      $985
      Hero:
      $200

5/10 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A:diamond: , Q:heart:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $40.00, 3 folds, CO calls $40.00, 3 folds.

Flop: ($95.00) 2:diamond: , Q:diamond: , 6:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $66, CO folds.

Final Pot: $161.00

CO is a regular player on NL 1000. In this spot a check is a good variation to our standard line which will give us more profit as a direct continuation bet. If we make a bet here our opponent will only continue to play with strong hands. If we now check to him - we could easily be scared of the board - we can feign weakness without beeing readable too easy. As a regular he will be very aggressive on the flop if we check to him. Consequently we will see a bet from him very often. Our opponent will bet many holdings that he would have folded against a cbet. Now its our part to check raise him all-in. In addition, if CO doesn't bet, we don't give free cards. We hold the nutflush draw and TPTK. So no reason to protect.

Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)        
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $35
      UTG+1:
      $204.15

1/2 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q:diamond: , A:club:
      UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $2.00, 5 folds, Hero raises to $9.00, 2 folds, UTG+1 calls $7.00.

Flop: ($21.00) Q:club: , A:heart: , 3:club: (2 players)
      UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($21.00) J:diamond: (2 players)
      UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $14, UTG+1 raises to $52.00, Hero raises to $26.00 (All-In).

River: ($99.00) 7:spade:

Final Pot: $99.00

UTG1 is a PS.de regular on NL 200. Therefore we can drastically reduce his range after the call. Sometimes he will have some medium PPs but not very often since he knows that he can't play them against SSSPs on implieds. More often he will therefore have a trapping hand where he initially wanted to limp/reraise but decided only to play c/c against us - he can do so, since it will be easy for him to get our short stack all in. I don't see suited connectors in his range since he's a pretty tight bigstack.
      Therefore we are on a way ahead / way behind situation on the flop. Even though there is a flushdraw possible I see no hand in his calling range that could have hit this draw. So I don't need to protect. (his range is possibly TT+, AQ/AK and some PPs)
      On the turn I think I made a mistake with the bet. Every worse hand will fold and all better hands will c/r me all-in. Even though there's an additional gutshot draw possible now for KK and AK I think its still better to check behind and call a river bet. Thus we will loose as less as possible against better hands and as much as possible against worse hands. He could easily be motivated to make a bluffbet on the river e.g.

Position:
      Stack
      MP3:
      $161.75

5/10 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9:diamond: , 9:club:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $40.00, MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $110.00, 4 folds, Hero raises to $190.00 (All-In), MP3 raises to $161.75 (All-In).

Flop: ($366.75) 6:club: , 5:diamond: , 4:diamond:
      Turn: ($366.75) 5:spade:
      River: ($366.75) 7:spade:

Final Pot: $366.75

Would you call/push here? Consider the pot odds and the few stats we have of MP3.
  • 3 replies
      Bronze
      We have pot odds of 1.66:1, which means our borderline equity is 37.6%, which states for 5% of hands - AQ+, 99+.

Now we're pretty sure he's playing looser since he's absolutely not the ps.de's shortie. It's an easy push.
    • Mistermom
      Mistermom
      Black
      I don't think he reraises much looser than 99+, AQ. Imo it's a very marginal push so in order to reduce variance I can find a fold here.
    • xarry2
      xarry2
      Bronze
      its definetely a close decision. we get pot odds of 1.77:1. so we need at least 36% equity in order to push. against AQ+, 99+ we have 37.4% so I see a marginal call/push. However since we have not many stats and can't be sure about his actual range it is also a correct decision to fold here.

I decided to push since non PS.de/com shortstacks are often very loose players. Also I'm raising from MP so his reraising range will also be bigger.
      btw he showed me 88 :)