the *NEW* Soapbox Wizardry - 5 dolla 5 dolla I love you long time?

• Jimanyjerk
      Jimanyjerk
      Bronze
      Hello,

My name is Garet.

I'm the taller one with the Sandwich. This is my Poker Blog. Lets get started.

Background:

I'm a college (university transfer) student *edit: Not currently going to school, attempting to play poker for a living until either Jan 1st or Sept 1st 2013* living in British Columbia, Canada. I currently reside in Victoria, ANY PS'ers leave a post, it'd be cool to meet fellow players and home games are a great distraction from life! I'm a quiet guy who doesn't like clubbing and doesn't find pleasure in many popular things. If I had to choose between a week of getting Irished and awkwardly flailing to shitty pop music, or a week long hike through british columbian rain forest, I wouldn't think twice. I'm a shut in, unless I'm shut outside.

Here is a photo of me and my girlfriend on the GNARLIEST TREE IN CANADA <--- actual title.

I have liked watching poker for a few years now, but only in the past year have I started taking a serious interest in playing. I came across a story posted by a former Starcraft pro who many people would know as Rekrul. Just reading it made my fingers itch. Shortly after I read that post I joined Pokerstrategy and got my starting capital. Thus began an long streak of tilt and break-even poker.
      SSS was my first choice but I don't think I understood the strategy properly and ended up being down a dollar or two after a few weeks of play. I then found a steal raise chart and watched as my bankroll plummeted 15 dollars. I definitely did not understand that! I switched to BSS at the penny pots and won back about 10 of that! I was so proud. This winning back period took 5 months or so because I was still no good at poker, and then full tilt closed down. I signed up for a couple of the free offers available on PS and here I am now, grinding the micro stakes with a short bankroll. I recently started playing the mid-stack strategy after 4 months of inactivity (focused on school,) and now I feel pretty confident playing 4 tables at the micros. That brings us up to speed.

*EDITED OP*

I have some new goals. I'll outline them shortly in a later blog post.

I'm now going to dedicate 6 months to playing better poker and if I'm looking like I could possibly one day live off of it, I'm going to go semi-pro or even pro. I have to do some more calculations and get a realistic idea of the possibility, but I hope to do it soon!

*edit again*

Have done many many calculations. I feel it's a long shot but it is possible. I know how much I need to live on and how much I need to play. It's going to be a long haul but I think I'm up to it.

By Jan 1st 2013

300 hrs of poker, this is easily spaced between sept 1st and dec 31st as 17 weeks an 3 days a week at 6 hours a day with some change left-over. I currently play 4 tables at a time and average 40 minutes a tourney, so I will use 6 tables per hour as a loose estimation of my hourly volume. 1800 tournaments minimum by that time. this should end up being nearly 100,000 hands played by the time I'm done.

I gotta get started.

Thanks again Pokerstrategy.com.

G.
  • 149 replies
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      wow! what a long intro and very nice one Garet! Big welcome to our community!

Seems like you have a well structured thinking already, I wish you best of luck with your goals! We are here to support you and just give us a shout if you need help!

Ingrid
    • Jimanyjerk
      Jimanyjerk
      Bronze
      Thank you very much for the reply. I'm sure I'll end up shouting many many times... Hopefully less at the computer and more for help on how to beat bad players!

I hope the appearance of structured thinking is an indicator of it actually being there. I have yet to prove to myself that I can do anything remotely as cool as so many of the blogs here!

Have a good one,
      Garet.
    • Jimanyjerk
      Jimanyjerk
      Bronze
      Summary:

I played about an hour tonight starting pretty late. Felt like working heavily on my post-flop play after my last session of strictly pre-flop focus. Played only two tables and analyzed the hands a lot better than I normally would. Have had a solid 65 BB increase tonight which makes me happy regardless of the paltry sample size.

Major Cooler of the night:
      Having pocket queens run into pocket kings. Standard open raise for 3 bb on my part he re-raises to about 14bb which I found odd. I don't know, it felt like he may be trying to scare me; either way, I was on the button and he re-raised me from the small blind, The chart said to move in and I felt the play was right too, could've been AK or JJ and I would've been laughing, who knows. No solid gains beyond that.

Bank Roll Bonus:

I ran into two hilariously fishy players, I just WISH I could post the hands now but it'd be too difficult, I don't have a program that works and fishing them out of the archives is not fun. One guy would play ANY ace high regardless of the board or anyone's actions. The other guy played similarly but added in Check calling to river with bottom pair (73o for the win man.)
      I raise my pocket Kings over two limpers for 5 BB, both call, everyone else folds. I Conti bet on a really dry paired board and the fishy one snap calls a large 2/3rd pot size bet. I have a sick feeling that he's got a three of a kind. I check the blank turn card to be cautious and he checks it back immediately. The river brings a third piece of the pair board giving me kings full. I got a funny feeling that he might be calling anything and I shove for about a pot sized bet and he snap calls. He reveals ace high and I double up :f_biggrin:

Conclusion:

My hand reading is terrible by most standards, but I definitely did not feel afraid against a lot of the people playing at these limits. I also think I correctly Identified two serious players (hahahaha micro limits serious players) one of which looked like he was Mid stacking like me. GO Pokerstrategy players!!

Tonight's work was good, I played well post-flop all things considered (I'm a fish and I probably only played 15 hands past the flop.) I think tomorrow I will study for spanish exam extensively, watch episode two of MSS winner series, and play for a few hours. I desperately need a program that works with 888 and 770. I also cannot afford to buy one, any suggestions on that one potential readers? I'm gonna search around the forums now

Good luck at the tables,
      Garet
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Nice to see someone who knows how to write complete sentences start a blog. I will follow.
    • Jimanyjerk
      Jimanyjerk
      Bronze
      @Jbpatzer:
      Hahahaha I'm very glad to hear that the time invested is appreciated so far! I will do my best to continue!
      I would like to wish you much luck in continuing your adventures at the tables, I admire your resolve. I'm still trying to contemplate how I'm going to negotiate a compromise between homework and table time, they both seem like such disagreeable parties. I can only imagine what it'd be like balancing a family life as well.
      Once again thanks for the reply and have a good one!

In general: it's exam time for me and I have 3 days of it starting tomorrow. I'm going to fight the urge to play poker but obviously the intent is still there because I'm sitting here writing a poker blog with a closed Spanish Text beside me. I think I might try to post an entry similar to the last update after every session I play in the short term (until January 9th.) Hoping the strategy points start rolling in for 888 as well, I know I have at least one by now!

Good luck at the exam tables,
      Garet.
    • Jimanyjerk
      Jimanyjerk
      Bronze
      Well I'm going to do a quick post because there are people here.

Cooler of the night:

Nothing in particular was a massive lame suck out. I just did not get many really good hands which was annoying. Hour and a half of 4 tabling and I only saw kings once. What I'm really trying to say is I have nothing to complain about. :f_biggrin:

Bank-roll Bonus!

I sucked out twice which was nice, once was a free-play where the the flop was checked around and the turn gave me top pair. I bet 2/3rds and one opponent tags along, the river gives me two pair which got paid off. I didn't think he had much because of the lack of betting on two streets and the call on the turn. Happy to get called by mid pair for sure!

Second one was one of those awesome times when you go all-in to a raise behind your raise and an angel saves your buy-in. I had JJ and raised in CO, Small blind re-raises me, I go all in, he calls and shows QQ. I flop a jack and ship the pot with no queen in sight. Pro-tip: have the best hand. if you don't have the best hand, hope for it.

Odds and ends:

I need to check on my conti-bet timing. I hope that silver status video will help me, I can already taste that diamond imprinted token!

I had AK and I re-raised one guy, he called. The flop came pretty dry, just a flush draw, and it also completely missed me. From the pre-flop action I had enough for almost exactly (little more than) a half pot bet. I felt like the conti-bet had a low chance of success. With no money behind he would've been able to see the rest of the cards for 3-1 odds on his money and I would've been doing it with ace high most likely.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, I really really need to get a hand manager....

Good luck at the tables folks! I'm going to go drink to my 15 BB net profit!
    • Jimanyjerk
      Jimanyjerk
      Bronze
      Hi everyone (fooling myself but it's fun imagining it.)

I had a pretty good day today. Played for one hour and 15 minutes altogether which was pretty short all things considered. I am aiming to play at least two hours a day but my dad was visiting from off island. I hope I made enough to make one strategy point, I really want silver status!

The cold hearted deck:

For the first time in what feels like a long time I was dealt aces! Murphy's law dictates that the level of anticipation shall be second only to the level of disappointment. I am going to copy this directly from the hand history text file, maybe it's even formatted properly!

399726980 *****
      $0.01/$0.02 Blinds No Limit Holdem - *** 19 12 2011 10:37:45
      Table Nanterre (Real Money)
      Seat 3 is the button
      Total number of players : 9
      Seat 1: buzz1988 ( $4.21 )
      Seat 2: 13thFloor ( $2 )
      Seat 3: AnalFire666 ( $1.38 )
      Seat 4: stipe66 ( $2.67 )
      Seat 5: MasterG14 ( $1.98 )
      Seat 6: dopinga ( $2 )
      Seat 7: mandag54 ( $2.50 )
      Seat 9: suolevram ( $0.86 )
      Seat 10: Karbonkid_28 ( $1.64 )
      stipe66 posts small blind [$0.01]
      MasterG14 posts big blind [$0.02]
      ** Dealing down cards **
      Dealt to suolevram [ Ah, Ac ]
      dopinga folds
      mandag54 calls [$0.02]
      suolevram raises [$0.08]
      Karbonkid_28 folds
      buzz1988 folds
      13thFloor folds
      AnalFire666 folds
      stipe66 calls [$0.07]
      MasterG14 calls [$0.06]
      mandag54 calls [$0.06]
      ** Dealing flop ** [ 3d, 6d, Qc ]
      stipe66 checks
      MasterG14 checks
      mandag54 bets [$0.06]
      suolevram raises [$0.28]
      stipe66 folds
      MasterG14 raises [$0.50]
      mandag54 folds
      suolevram raises [$0.50]
      MasterG14 calls [$0.28]
      ** Dealing turn ** [ Kc ]
      ** Dealing river ** [ Td ]
      ** Summary **
      MasterG14 shows [ Qd, Jd ]
      suolevram shows [ Ah, Ac ]
      MasterG14 collected [ $1.82 ]

So I was unfortunately caught in a tough position. Looking in the Equilator reveals that I had a 50.208% chance of winning on that flop against his actual hand :( . I don't know exactly what hand range I put him on at the time, I'm still working on getting those down. At this level of play I was hoping he'd be over playing top pair. Not unusual from what I've seen but I don't know... I figured the most likely thing would be AQ or something along those lines. I wasn't as afraid of QQ because of the flat call preflop. I'm going to put this one in the hand evaluation forums after this post, find out the better line, which if I knew his hand would possibly have been all-in?

Bankroll Bonus:

After this cooler of a hand (which was in the first 15 minutes.) I ended up with some good luck. I was dealt 54s and got a free-play. I ended up flopping trip fours, and there was a flush draw on the table. I bet relatively large and I get a call. The third flush card falls and I check, in retrospect probably not the best move, it wasn't extremely likely that he had made a flush but the possibility was out there. I should have bet into him. Anyways, he bets 4.5 bb into a pot that was around 28bb. I had good odds to call and I was likely still in the lead or had outs to a FH. The river brings a 5 giving me the nuts and I hollywood for about 12 seconds and then shove. He calls like lightening with a king high flush. I was quite happy.

Next up was pocket tens against another odd ball. I flopped an over pair, bet out into about two people for a fair price (I had initiative and it was a somewhat drawy board.) I get re-raised all in pretty quickly and I go into the tank for my last 20 BB. after 30 seconds I call figuring I was probably paying off a poorly bet set when the opponent flips A6o for an ace high with a gut-shot. Two double ups and a few good continuation bets and I'm up nearly 50BB.

The denouement:

I played okay today. I am really happy because my bankroll has been steadily moving upwards. My third short term goal, which is getting my bankroll to a safe level, is already feeling good and I think I have a strong chance of it occurring. It's also the least likely one because of how slowly it will build; at this point in time I'll need to double it up in order to succeed. I need about 1250 BB and and currently I have 618. I started out 1/3 of the way there and hopefully by this time tomorrow it will be beyond 1/2. I can feel it. I need need neeeeeed to play better post-flop, the pre-flop feels good. I NEEED a hand manager and I want to start hypercamming my sessions. Note to self: get started on it god damnit.

Good luck at the tables!

Garet
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Garet! :) we're here though just on silent mode. Don't worry :)

what do you mean hand manager though?
    • Jimanyjerk
      Jimanyjerk
      Bronze
      I have the poker strategy elephant but that is not compatible with any of the rooms that I have money on.
      I'm also a broke student so purchasing something like Holdem manager is unlikely. For the holiday season I would like an open source hand analyzer that's compatible specifically with poker 888! :f_biggrin:
      Until then I'll have to just keep noting the table and specific number of the important hands of the day on a .txt file and then searching through the hand history database for it.

Thanks for the reply!

Garet
    • Jimanyjerk
      Jimanyjerk
      Bronze
      Mild tilt and I decided to stop playing instead of playing poorly. Right after I find out that I did not play enough poker last night to get the 10 bonus points I'm after, My Cooler of the night occured.

Vodka coolers don't taste bad, these do:

Aces, EP standard raise 3 bb. SB decides to reraise me like a donk to 7.5 BB. I wasn't thinking and 4 bet him to 22.5 bb when I should've just shoved for the 26 bb I had altogether. Doesn't matter because he had queens and was going all the way regardless. He flops a queen and that's two nights in a row where my only aces got cracked, add that to the fact that it feels like another day towards one of my goals has been wasted, and I rage quit.

Bankroll Bonus AKA Dr. Feelgood:

Felt good, I have pocket tens, I play them well and the opponent shoves me on the end with overcards to my tens on the board. I just had a feeling that he wasn't sitting there with the KX that he was representing and I call him down, he shows pocket 7's for a delightfully second best hand.

Inconclusive conclusion:

I just watched the leakfinder episode of Gerv's MSS videos. I already felt more confident in my re-steals; and, I actually had a few situations almost identical to what happened in the video occur. Instead of weakly folding to a button raise or timidly checking my bb when the SB completed I vigorously 3 bet and viciously raised with the fervor of a hobo protecting his cigarette change. Thank you Gerv!

I am slowly coming down from tilt but, unless I get back in the saddle sometime tonight, it will be another day wasted in my quest for short term goals. I will succeed... if my girlfriend who's visiting doesn't distract me too much. I am thankful for the many upsides in my life that balance out being down about 2 buy ins altogether. :f_biggrin:

I hope your stack faired better than mine,
      Garet.
    • Jimanyjerk
      Jimanyjerk
      Bronze
      What a night tonight was.

It started off really poorly, but, since my initial downswing that almost destroyed all of my carefully earned progress, I have bounced back and am now up 150BB from the lowest spot today and about 100BB up from where I was before that downswing!

assassinated queens:

I raise with queens to 3 bb from MP, BB reraises me to 12 bb, I go all in as chart recommends, he flips over bullets, I am unhappy. I flop a queen and am very happy, he rivers an ace and I'm no longer happy. That was okay though, I've dealt with worse and that's poker. Onto better things.

U.S. Bailout Bonus:

I had a ridiculous run of queens twice in a row followed by kings, unfortunately non of them paid off with a double up. In fact, I only won about 30BB from the three hands but hey I'm not complaining about money I'm winning. :f_biggrin: In those situations I probably wouldn't have been able to play the hands much differently and make money, if everyone folds to an open raise, whaddya do.

That all pales in comparison to this awesome hand. I had recently doubled up and was just waiting for the blinds before leaving the table. I am dealt pocket deuces and I love playing low pairs when I have some money behind. I've read a few books and I'm not bad at playing them post flop. It's really easy: if set bet/broke. If no set, check/fold.

$0.01/$0.02 Blinds No Limit Holdem - *** 21 12 2011 22:59:51
      Table Jonkoping (Real Money)
      Seat 6 is the button
      Total number of players : 7
      Seat 1: metrospiders ( $2.02 )
      Seat 2: suolevram ( $1.31 )
      Seat 4: rednoby ( $2 )
      Seat 5: hotplayer888 ( $4.98 )
      Seat 6: superdice ( $2.02 )
      Seat 7: ilvoz ( $0.14 )
      Seat 9: Hindelooper ( $2 )
      ilvoz posts small blind [$0.01]
      Hindelooper posts big blind [$0.02]
      rednoby posts big blind [$0.02]
      ** Dealing down cards **
      Dealt to suolevram [ 2d, 2s ]
      metrospiders calls [$0.02]
      suolevram calls [$0.02]
      rednoby checks
      hotplayer888 folds
      superdice folds
      ilvoz calls [$0.01]
      Hindelooper checks
      ** Dealing flop ** [ Kc, 5h, 2c ]
      ilvoz checks
      Hindelooper checks
      metrospiders bets [$0.07]
      suolevram raises [$0.28]
      rednoby raises [$1.98]
      ilvoz folds
      Hindelooper folds
      metrospiders calls [$1.91]
      suolevram calls [$1.01]
      ** Dealing turn ** [ Qd ]
      ** Dealing river ** [ Ts ]
      ** Summary **
      metrospiders shows [ 6d, Kd ]
      suolevram shows [ 2d, 2s ]
      rednoby shows [ 5s, Kh ]
      suolevram collected [ $3.73 ]
      rednoby collected [ $1.29 ]

This is the biggest pot I've had since starting on 888 poker. 5 buy ins on a single hand, I love it. I had a lot of fun playing BSS back on full tilt, and most of it was from the big win. I want to be able to play SSS (I'm okay) and MSS (I'm feeling good about it) really well, but eventually, as I think many poker players feel, I want to play cash games with a big stack. Knowing the odds and outs, playing the percentages, putting people on ranges, and shoving the nuts on the river are all things I enjoy (and wish I was better at.)

Concussive Conclusion:

Tonight definitely made up for last night and then some. I shall continue praying to the god of variance and I shall keep in mind that poker is a delicate balance between good well thought out play and luck. I shall continue hoping for the latter and striving for the former.

Side note: Does anyone else really hate online table talk? As soon as I see one of those chat bubbles pop up over someone's screen name I immediately block chat. Unless I'm waiting for the blinds and they are Bming someone about playing terribly while also shoving preflop with K6o. Then I feel obligated to enlighten them.

Well, I'm off to the hand evaluation area to take up more of Gerv's time!

good luck!

Garet
    • Jimanyjerk
      Jimanyjerk
      Bronze
      Wow, tonight was really strange.

I saw no hands greater than queens once. I saw jacks twice, tens once, and pocket nines 7 times. Pocket nines 7 times in an hour is definitely unusual. I flopped two sets, one was the major cooler!

Knows the right answer, says the wrong one.

I got a free play with pocket fours and it was checked around on the flop which is dry except for a flush draw. The turn brings me a beautiful four and I bet big, close to 5/6ths of the pot in the hopes of getting paid off. I'm called in one place and I see the flush complete. The opponent snap shoves and I am just certain that he has the flush. I said it out loud. I KNEW he had the flush. I called anyway, I don't know why. A set is an intoxicating hand I guess.

(EDIT, Added appropriate photo)

Money money, MONEY:

One of the first hands of the night, my first pocket nines. I raise from MP2 for a standard 3 BB and get called in two places. I flop second set and check the dry board hoping to get caught up to. A raise and a re-raise is all the incentive I need and I triple up when the cold deck falls in my favor.

second nice one, I raise from MP2 with AQo and I am then MIN RERAISED from the SB for 2bb more. I need to call 2 bb to win 9.5bb with position. Flop comes completely dry with an ace and I'm away to the races. he (I'm going to call him wonder fish) bets 5 bb into 12 bb pot and I 3 bet him to 17.5bb. He snap calls and I have to ask what the fuck he's doing. the turn brings a second six and I figure I'm still good. Wonderfish donks into me for 5 bb AGAIN, I shove and wonderfish shows A2s for TOP PAIR NO KICKER WOOO DOUBLE UP!

Captains log:

Today had an epic start, which then disappeared to two really really bad calls, which then ended with me making a good call based on pot odds, exploiting a wonderfish, and not running into any really ugly situations. I need to be more brave with my pre-flop re-raises. I think my 3 bet range is weak.

Anyways it's mid-night and I'm off to bed.

Goodnight, and good luck.
      Garet
    • Jimanyjerk
      Jimanyjerk
      Bronze
      I have had another good night! Perhaps luck is one of the greatest gifts of all.

This whole holiday season stuff generally puts me in a bad mood. I grew out of christmas when I grew out of children sized shoes. I am fortunate to have had a good time with some of my family this year and I was disappointed to find out that I won't get to see the other half of my family for a little while. No reason for that to put a damper on my graph! For christmas I got Holdem Manager! Now I'll be able to post hands that people can read! On with the show!

Brain freeze:

This was just a poor call on my part. Add in the fact that I shouldn't have been playing this hand and you make a mistake! I had pretty good equity throughout though. However, the call on the end was an 8 cent gift that I shouldn't have been so generous about. The pot odds were compelling but what was the actual percentage of the time I had the best hand here.

Cassava Poker $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em - 7 players - http://www.handconverter.com/hands/1572879
      The DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

CO: $2.02
      Hero (BTN): $0.82
      SB: $1.10
      BB: $1.25
      UTG: $1.93
      UTG+1: $2.79
      MP: $4.31

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with 5c Ac
      UTG calls $0.02, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, SB calls $0.07, 1 fold, UTG calls $0.06

Flop: ($0.26) 4s 7c 3c (3 players)
      SB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $0.18, SB calls $0.18, UTG folds

Turn: ($0.62) 5h (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

River: ($0.62) Th (2 players)
      SB bets $0.08, Hero calls $0.08

Final Pot: $0.78
      Hero mucks 5c Ac
      SB shows Jd Js
      SB wins $0.74
      (Rake: $0.04)

So first and foremost, I probably should not have been here. I don't know which chart takes precedence here. I can steal raise with any suited ace, I can ROL with A7s. First mistake, probably should have folded. Second mistake, continuation betting into two opponents. I'd been running pretty hot and I must not have been thinking with common sense. Hey it might've worked, I equilated it based on a 10% Open raise caller and a 7% open raise caller and on the flop I was probably a favourite against many hands that would flat call a button raise. This doesn't take away from the fact that I should be careful. If I played this hand 100 times the same way I would definitely be losing tons of money.

Happier thoughts now.

The Thick Green line:

Wow, two big ones that were just great feeling. First of all:

Cassava Poker $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em - 9 players - http://www.handconverter.com/hands/1572884

BTN: $3.50
      SB: $4.82
      BB: $2.72
      UTG: $2.56
      UTG+1: $2.88
      UTG+2: $0.84
      MP1: $1.98
      MP2: $2.00
      Hero (CO): $0.67

MP2 posts a big blind ($0.02)

Pre Flop: ($0.05) Hero is CO with Ts Td
      1 fold, UTG+1 calls $0.02, UTG+2 calls $0.02, 1 fold, MP2 checks, Hero raises to $0.12, 1 fold, SB calls $0.11, 3 folds, MP2 calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.42) 9c 8h 7d (3 players)
      SB checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets $0.55, SB calls $0.55, MP2 calls $0.55

Turn: ($2.07) 8s (3 players)
      SB checks, MP2 checks

River: ($2.07) Jd (3 players)
      SB bets $1, MP2 folds

Final Pot: $2.07
      SB shows 7s 9s
      Hero shows Ts Td
      Hero wins $1.95
      (Rake: $0.12)

I feel bad for the Small blind. He was definitely the favorite in this one. I am happy with the flop shove. I'm a solid favorite against a majority of hands that would call except the sets and two pairs which I've still got a good shot at drawing out on.

Next:
      Cassava Poker $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em - 8 players - http://www.handconverter.com/hands/1572885

BTN: $2.48
      SB: $0.92
      BB: $2.86
      UTG: $2.17
      Hero (UTG+1): $0.61
      MP1: $2.00
      MP2: $1.20
      CO: $2.51

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is UTG+1 with Ks Kd
      1 fold, Hero raises to $0.06, 1 fold, MP2 calls $0.06, 4 folds

Flop: ($0.15) As Ts 7s (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.09, MP2 calls $0.09

Turn: ($0.33) 9h (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $0.24, Hero raises to $0.46, MP2 calls $0.22

River: ($1.25) 9s (2 players)

Final Pot: $1.25
      Hero shows Ks Kd
      MP2 shows Qs Jh
      Hero wins $1.18
      (Rake: $0.07)

Really poor call on his part huh. The flop call led me to believe he had an ace which I later found out wouldn't be too terrible. Only 58% to win. My shove to his turn bet was almost certainly a bad idea. No fold equity in sight, so I was gambling on a spade. I got rewarded for bad behavior on this one.

Conclusion:

Well I can't complain about being up. I'm well on my way to getting my silver status. I just found out that poker 888 has .03/.06 limit instead of .02/.05. That means I need to wait longer before I take my shot at a higher limit. I'm already feeling like I could be making more money at a level above the pennies. I am going to save up to about 25$ and from there I'm going to wait until I've accumulated 2 buy ins at .03/.06 and I'll play one table and focus on doing well. I'm also considering switching to sit-n-goes because they give me a more solid understanding of what I'm winning and losing. Also, They have set rake amounts which makes calculating how much volume I need to finish a session so much easier. So many decisions! I'm liking MSS so I am going to stay for a while. We'll see what the cards bring.

Thread Saver (dress tails and Ice skating:) This is a photo of me and my girlfriend skating in downtown. It was fun! Hope everyone is having as much fun as me!

Cheers, Happy Holidays, and Good luck at the tables!
      Garet
    • Jimanyjerk
      Jimanyjerk
      Bronze
      Down two buy ins, not a terrible situation but I'm definitely steamed at how it occurred. I had 5 premium pairs and only one set of them paid anything. It is so frustrating to get aces, raise, collect the blinds, get dealt kings next hand, raise, and collect the blinds again. I got queens twice, once paid me about 9.5 bb which was fine. The other is major cooler number one!!

Ever see Phil laak V. Luke Schwartz? yeah:

This is just terrible. To directly quote the announcer (who may have been phil hellmuth,) "He flopped the queens dead."

Cassava Poker $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em - 9 players
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

SB: $2.92
      BB: $1.19
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.03
      UTG+2: $4.51
      MP1: $1.13
      MP2: $1.15
      CO: $2.12
      Hero (BTN): $0.70

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with Q:club: Q:heart:
      1 fold, UTG+1 calls $0.02, 1 fold, MP1 raises to $0.09, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.36, 3 folds, MP1 raises to $1.13, Hero calls $0.34 all in

Flop: ($1.45) K:diamond: K:spade: J:spade: (2 players - 1 is all in)

Turn: ($1.45) 8:club: (2 players - 1 is all in)

River: ($1.45) A:club: (2 players - 1 is all in)

Final Pot: $1.45
      MP1 shows J:club: K:heart:
      Hero shows Q:club: Q:heart:
      MP1 wins $0.93
      (Rake: $0.52)

(EDIT, ADDED VIDEO)

I had the guy pegged as pretty close to a rock when I didn't have stats; needless to say, I quickly changed that note when he shoves preflop against my raise. I think that is just bad play.

Further cooler was seeing my ROL thwarted by one player min-reraising my ROL twice. I made a note to not raise his limp without shoveable value, I get AK and Raise over his limp, and he flat calls instead. Then this hand occurs.

Cassava Poker $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em - 7 players

UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $4.48
      MP: $4.52
      CO: $2.17
      BTN: $0.92
      Hero (SB): $0.73
      BB: $1.60

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is SB with A:spade: K:heart:
      1 fold, UTG+1 calls $0.02, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, 1 fold, UTG+1 calls $0.06

Flop: ($0.18) 6:heart: Q:club: 7:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.10, UTG+1 calls $0.10

Turn: ($0.38) J:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.20, UTG+1 calls $0.20

River: ($0.78) 2:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG+1 bets $0.35, Hero folds

Final Pot: $0.78
      UTG+1 wins $0.39
      (Rake: $0.39)

I don't know what he had, but it seemed by the river he might have been sandbagging with a set. This might explain his limp-re-raise maneuvers if he's re-raising his mid pocket pairs and flat calling his lower ones, but I don't know. I was partially tilted on the turn and should probably have stopped pushing there but he took about 12 second to call on the flop and I felt he might fall to a second barrel. I almost called the river bet just to see what he had. If I get into it with him again and I get a slightly less steep price I'm definitely going to be watching his play. He won quite a bit of money from me tonight with what was likely play that should be in my favour, I want to exploit that.

Mind Saver:

Picked off a bluff nicely

Cassava Poker $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em - 8 players

UTG+1: $2.15
      Hero (MP1): $0.75
      MP2: $2.00
      CO: $2.00
      BTN: $5.16
      SB: $2.01
      BB: $2.00
      UTG: $0.69

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is MP1 with A:spade: T:club:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.06, 4 folds, BB calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.13) 5:heart: 3:club: 4:spade: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.09, BB calls $0.09

Turn: ($0.31) 4:club: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

River: ($0.31) K:spade: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.15, Hero calls $0.15

Final Pot: $0.61
      Hero shows A:spade: T:club:
      BB shows 9:heart: J:heart:
      Hero wins $0.58
      (Rake: $0.03)

Just did not feel like he had it after the check on the turn. He flat called a raise which doesn't make the low pairs likely and the King was a long shot that in this instance I was willing to pay off. I'm not a curious person by nature but I had to know on this one. It doesn't help that I just read Gus Hansen's every hand revealed.

Nice top pair/flush draw that paid off:

MP2: $1.46
      Hero (CO): $0.57
      BTN: $0.83
      SB: $1.00
      BB: $6.88
      UTG: $2.54
      UTG+1: $2.41
      MP1: $1.43

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is CO with 9:diamond: A:diamond:
      3 folds, MP2 calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.08, 3 folds, MP2 calls $0.06

Flop: ($0.19) 5:diamond: A:spade: 7:diamond: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.10, Hero raises to $0.49, MP2 calls $0.39

Turn: ($1.17) J:diamond: (2 players)

River: ($1.17) 7:club: (2 players)

Final Pot: $1.17
      MP2 shows T:diamond: A:heart:
      Hero shows 9:diamond: A:diamond:
      Hero wins $1.10
      (Rake: $0.07)

Hurray for coinflip semi-bluffs. I figured I'd just win the pot there a lot of the time, and I have outs to the nut flush if my top pair isn't good. Turns out the three 9s gave me 12 outs on this one. I think his call might be a bit optimistic. Sure I was technically in the wrong but I raised preflop and shove on the flop to an lead out bet. I'm more likely to have AK or AQ from what my limited knowledge says.

Conclusion:

I had a bad night for sure. I made some terrible plays. I definitely had some poor luck with the big pairs tonight. but, despite all of that, I'm in a good mood. My girlfriend is spending the night which means I've seen her for 11 days in a row. Impossible for me to be mad at poker when she's around! It's just a waste of time.

Hope everyone has a good evening!
      Garet
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Just found your blog, i'm in :D

Roo
    • Jimanyjerk
      Jimanyjerk
      Bronze
      Thanks! that makes three people who have posted on my blog!! I should get you a door prize! ah, not in the budget... But thank you for stopping by!

Keep poppin sir,

Garet
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Really enjoyed reading your posts Garet, you have a great way of describing stuff, Im really getting back into mss at the mo so will be following like mad :D
    • Jimanyjerk
      Jimanyjerk
      Bronze
      Thanks for the follow, I will hopefully make it worth while!

Hahahaha I had a ridiculously good night! It started in the gutter with me down nearly 2 buy-ins but after a ridiculous number of good hands I won it up to +3 buy ins before a lame OESD busted my 3 way all in kings :( . Very next hand and I win back nearly 2/3rds of what I just lost after an all in C-bet puts me heads up with A-high against Q-High: "e-z."

Hellmuth, I feel you:

I stood up and yelled "You're a terrible player!" when this occurred. It's one thing to semi bluff with a straight draw, IT'S ENTIRELY ANOTHER calling an all in re-raise shove with one.

MP: $4.55
      CO: $2.01
      BTN: $2.20
      SB: $3.25
      BB: $2.12
      Hero (UTG): $0.60
      UTG+1: $2.01

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is UTG with K:spade: K:heart:
      Hero raises to $0.06, 4 folds, SB calls $0.05, BB calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.18) 9:diamond: 8:diamond: 2:heart: (3 players)
      SB checks, BB bets $0.09, Hero raises to $0.54, SB calls $0.54, BB calls $0.45

Turn: ($1.80) 5:spade: (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks

River: ($1.80) Q:heart: (3 players)
      SB bets $1.35, BB folds

Final Pot: $1.80
      SB shows T:heart: J:club:
      Hero shows K:spade: K:heart:
      SB wins $0.34
      (Rake: $1.46)

Made a note that he's a "F***ing moron" and stopped playing shortly after. I had gone through losing nearly 2 buy-ins tonight already and had managed to soldier on but 3 was the limit and I pretty much stopped playing, luckily I had won 6 buy ins up to that point and in the last 5 hands I snuck in another one! :f_biggrin:

Wham Bam Thank you ma'am!

The two BIG wins tonight were both with pocket queens, a hand that I am just not having luck with. In absolute terms I've lost nearly 2 buy ins with queens. When I total up every time I've gotten queens while MSSing, I'm DOWN 55 BB. That's kind of sick for a top 3 hand. It's only over 3k hands but still, hilarious. If they didn't pay tonight I would've been down 140BB! 4 buy ins lost with queens!!

Cassava Poker $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em - 9 players

CO: $1.58
      Hero (BTN): $0.67
      SB: $2.73
      BB: $1.65
      UTG: $2.26
      UTG+1: $2.81
      UTG+2: $0.74
      MP1: $2.00
      MP2: $2.81

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with Q:diamond: Q:club:
      5 folds, CO raises to $0.04, Hero raises to $0.14, 1 fold, BB calls $0.12, CO raises to $0.24, Hero raises to $0.67, 1 fold, CO calls $0.43

Flop: ($1.49) 7:diamond: T:heart: 5:diamond: (2 players)

Turn: ($1.49) 7:heart: (2 players)

River: ($1.49) K:diamond: (2 players)

Final Pot: $1.49
      CO shows A:diamond: 3:club:
      Hero shows Q:diamond: Q:club:
      Hero wins $1.40
      (Rake: $0.09)

Can I get a hell yeah? no, this is a hell yeah:

***** Cassava Hand History for Game 200950710 *****
      $0.01/$0.02 Blinds No Limit Holdem - *** 27 12 2011 20:53:16
      Table Santa Rita (Real Money)
      Seat 7 is the button
      Total number of players : 9
      Seat 1: progress44 ( $0.14 )
      Seat 2: snk1952 ( $1.47 )
      Seat 3: ViI2uS ( $3.04 )
      Seat 4: Jas_D_Kelly ( $2.11 )
      Seat 5: xartop.poker ( $2.15 )
      Seat 6: suolevram ( $1.14 )
      Seat 7: ddjjxx ( $2.75 )
      Seat 9: fluxflux ( $2.01 )
      Seat 10: CrazyNut666 ( $2.64 )
      fluxflux posts small blind [$0.01]
      CrazyNut666 posts big blind [$0.02]
      ** Dealing down cards **
      Dealt to suolevram [ Qs, Qc ]
      progress44 folds
      snk1952 folds
      ViI2uS folds
      Jas_D_Kelly folds
      xartop.poker folds
      suolevram raises [$0.06]
      ddjjxx folds
      fluxflux folds
      CrazyNut666 calls [$0.04]
      ** Dealing flop ** [ 8c, 9d, Tc ]
      CrazyNut666 checks
      suolevram bets [$0.10]
      CrazyNut666 calls [$0.10]
      ** Dealing turn ** [ 4h ]
      CrazyNut666 bets [$0.33]
      suolevram raises [$0.98]
      CrazyNut666 calls [$0.65]
      ** Dealing river ** [ Kc ]
      ** Summary **
      suolevram shows [ Qs, Qc ]
      CrazyNut666 shows [ 2s, 2d ]
      suolevram collected [ $2.15 ]

Hell yeah. Seems like I gotta keep the pimp hand strong or these ladies get out of line. most of these losses are due to all-in preflop against better hands. I don't know if I like shoving with queens pre-flop so much, if I get called it's just so frequently aces, kings, or Anna Kournikova who definitely swings towards the men with guns, if you know what I mean :f_p:

The end?
      I'm done much sooner than I usually am, I started playing around 7:45 and finished up around 9:30. Normally I'm just closing the tables at 11:30. I'm going to do my best to play around this time from now on because the tables were not breaking up like crazy and there seemed to be fewer LESS fishy regs. Some of those guys are TERRIBLE though. I hope I'm not one of them :f_eek:

Guess I should study and post some big loser hands. and check the forums.

Good luck people, hope someone beats my 3 buy in win tonight!

Garet
    • Jimanyjerk
      Jimanyjerk
      Bronze
      First and foremost WOOOHOOO BIGGEST WIN IN ONE SESSION!

New record for most won for me :D That, of course, makes me very happy. Up nearly 4 BI today which is definitely a steady enough increase! I even started down about 2 bi so another big rush brought me right up.

SECOND BIG DEVELOPEMENT: I screen captured the entire thing! I'm just rendering the first video so I have proof that I was running like a man on fire! Yeah that's right, you will be able to watch me play POKER! I know, slightly more exciting than drying paint but I would appreciate if people give it a look over and leave comments either here or on my youtube channel. If I get any more than a few followers I may have to make a separate thread for the Clips, hope the mods don't mind.

Anna K. swing and a miss:

I totally mis-played this hand preflop. According to MSS I played correctly but I had doubled up a few hands before and I haven't played BSS in a while.

MP2: $2.68
      Hero (CO): $1.27
      BTN: $2.08
      SB: $3.09
      BB: $0.89
      UTG: $5.57
      UTG+1: $1.25
      MP1: $1.48

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is CO with K:diamond: A:club:
      2 folds, MP1 raises to $0.05, 1 fold, Hero raises to $0.15, 3 folds, MP1 raises to $0.48, Hero raises to $1.27, MP1 calls $0.79

Flop: ($2.57) 7:heart: Q:spade: 8:diamond: (2 players)

Turn: ($2.57) 7:diamond: (2 players)

River: ($2.57) 9:spade: (2 players)

I got kind of depressed because a mildly winning day turned into a big loser on a single hand. I got up, walked around, chatted with my bro who is laddering Starcraft BW, manned up, and started playing again a few hours later.

This resulted

Snake eyes in the green:

Aces have been only a slightly break-even hand for me so far, until this hand showed up :f_biggrin:

BTN: $2.31
      SB: $2.01
      BB: $2.54
      UTG: $2.04
      UTG+1: $2.37
      MP: $1.86
      Hero (CO): $0.80

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is CO with A:club: A:spade:
      UTG calls $0.02, 1 fold, MP calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.10, BTN calls $0.10, 2 folds, UTG calls $0.08, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.35) 8:heart: 7:spade: 9:club: (3 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $0.25, BTN calls $0.25, UTG calls $0.25

Turn: ($1.10) K:spade: (3 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $0.45, BTN calls $0.45, UTG calls $0.45

River: ($2.45) 8:diamond: (3 players)
      UTG checks, BTN checks

I can't even remember my reaction but it was SICK. It's on the video and I intend to watch it again to re-live the moment.

I guess lady luck was being nice for my first screen capture because I ran hotter than ever before for that session. My LARGEST loss was 4 bb. This was not for remarkable reasons on my part. I avoided continuation betting into 2+ opponents; I didn't get sucked out on once; and I didn't go crazy pre-flop. I think it was quite simple, a cold deck in my favor.

Conclusion:

By the time I'm done typing this paragraph I will be able to link the video in directly below it. I'm only going to get the first part done tonight because it's half past midnight and I need to sleep. Unfortunately I think the video quality might've been reduced to 1950's television set levels so the finer print like stats and pot size might not be readable. I'm going to try to find a way to fix that.

HERE IT IS!

Haha I will upload the rest tomorrow! I might do these things screen capture things once a week. I found afterwards that I was forcing myself to pay more attention to hand ranges and stats this time so I don't look like an absolutely terrible player.

PLEASE comment on anything about the video!! I am all ears.

Good luck at the tables!

Garet