Dealt to Hero Q:club: Q:heart:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.30, BB raises to $1, Hero calls $0.70

FLOP ($2) 7:diamond: 7:heart: 8:spade:

Hero checks, BB bets $1.50, Hero calls $1.50

TURN ($5) 7:diamond: 7:heart: 8:spade: 6:diamond:

Hero checks, BB bets $3.70, Hero folds

BB wins $4.75

Villain's stats: VPIP:21 PFR:17 AF:1.9 (Agg freq:16%) H:356 3B:3.5

The call was good or not? And what is the good postflop play here?
  • 3 replies
    • mylove190207
      mylove190207
      Bronze
      Hi Nocco88. Very dificult situation. He coud protect blinds with 99+, AK, maybe AQs, so I am not so sure that you can fold his turn bet. I woud call and reevaluate on river. Nice hand and good luck at tables.
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      Hi, Nocco88!

I don't like calling a 3bet out of position. Almost ever, unless I reeeeally know my opponent, he is overaggressive and spewy (for example, 3barrels as a bluff too frequently in a 3bet pot) and I'm very sure on how to outplay him postflop. To be honest, these conditions are very rarely met.

In a blind versus blind situation QQ is strong enough to play for stacks - especially as you go up the limits because the games get more and more aggressive. That means, just 4bet and call if he shoves. Yes, most opponents will rarely shove worse hands, but if he shoves very tight you will still have decent equity which SUMMED with the times he FOLDS you'll usually have a +EV spot.

And also a problem is: if you don't fight back with QQ, what you will fight back with? If you fold waaay too much in this position to his 3bets, what will happen is he will just 3bet you more.

Two last things: you want to look at his positional stats, not only his general stats. So, he 3bets 3,5% in general - but it's very important to know how much he 3bets when he has absolute position (like BTNvsCO and BBvsBTN). Obviously you need a decent sample for that.

I've done the math and, if you assume he is only going all in with AK and QQ, KK and AA (2,5% range against which we have 40% Eq. with out ladies) you need him to be 3betting ~6,2% for your 4bet/call to be breakeven. If you have any doubts on why or how you get that, please ask.

All in all, problem is: 1) we need to fight back sometimes so he doesn't 3bet too much; 2) QQ is a really strong hand; 3) we don't want to play QQ out of position at all.

Last thing to add: if you call and he has KK or AA and the flop is low, you're losing a ton anyway. But if he has AK or the such and the flop is low, he's investing a cbet and not much more. So what happens is you win the small pots (when he gives up) and lose the big ones (when he gives up action he often has you beat), plus the times when an K or a A comes on the board and he might bluff you out of the best hand.

All in all, in this position just 4bet and call with QQ :)
    • Nocco88
      Nocco88
      Bronze
      Okay, i got it, and thank you for the very detailed analysis :)