[NL2-NL10] NL10 how much to raise from MP?

• adr0001
      adr0001
      Bronze
      Known players:
      UTG:
      $12.90
      UTG+1:
      $2.10
      UTG+2:
      $5.00
      Hero:
      $2.10
      MP2:
      $2.05
      MP3:
      $2.30
      CO:
      $14.90
      SB:
      $13.15
      SB:
      $9.85
      BB:
      $5.80

Texas Hold'em NL10 (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Ongame Hand Converter v0.2.3 by Life is a Bug.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A:heart: , Q:club:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.50, MP2 raises to $0.90, 5 folds, Hero raises to $2.10 (All-in), MP2 calls $1.15 (All-in).

Flop: ($4.30) 6:club: , 7:spade: , Q:diamond: (2 players)

Turn: ($4.30) 2:club: (2 players)

River: ($4.30) 2:spade: (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.30

Results follow:
      MP2 shows [ A:diamond: , A:club: ]
      MP2 wins $4.05 USD.

After my $0.50 raise I had $1.60 left. The ratio between my stack and my raise was 3.2:1, so with AQ this is a push. But if my raise whould have been $0.40 with AQ I should have folded. When I'm first in I usually raise 5X instead of 4X from EP and MP. What's the optimal raise from those positions?
  • 6 replies
    • carusel
      carusel
      Bronze
      raise 4BB first in and fold to a reraise with AQo
    • dallievas
      dallievas
      Bronze
      Hi,
      According to basic SSS AQo and suited is not a reraising hand.You was reraised by
      short stack,which can also be tight SSS player,so reraised you with AA-JJ.AK,you
      with AQo was behind,and even had less outs cos AQ offsuited,so I think you should
      consider fold after being reraised .Of course you have know your stack:your raise
      ratio.In this particular situation i would consider my stack:my raise ratio more tend
      to be towards 4:1 ,because of possibility SSS playing opponent(you have to have
      better hand to call raise,than to raise-according to a lot of pros).If your opp is big
      stack with looser starting hands standarts,you can consider going all in.You had
      1,6 us doll.left,even no need immediate rebuy according basic SSS,should fold and
      wait better hand to strike with.
      About betting- standart SSS bet 4xBB+1BB per limper(you had no limpers),so you
      bet should be 0,4.Phil Gordon recommends raise 2,5-3BB from EP,4BB LP.Your
      overraise is not scare good player,for me it`s sign of weakness-he don`t want to be called?Why?.If table is pretty loose and tend to call many raises,then overraise is
      reasonable with premium hands AA-KK,AKs,because you don`t want many callers.
      I tend to stick to standard SSS raise,cos opps don`t know then whether you
      raising with AA or with 77.Maybe I`m not absolutely right or to cautious,let`s see
      what experts are thinking.
      Good luck.
      Bronze
      The normal way of handling this situation would be to bet $.4 and fold to a reraise, as already mentioned.

Good luck at the tables ;) .
    • Gremlin68
      Gremlin68
      Bronze
      Originally posted by 098799
      The normal way of handling this situation would be to bet $.4 and fold to a reraise, as already mentioned.

Nothing to add. Bet 4BB fold against reraise with raise : stack ratio of more than 4:1.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Originally posted by dallievas
      big post
      Phil Gordon is playing with a big stack, so his suggestions don't fit)
      since we often have an equity advantage preflop (big stacks have to play looser to win), we would love to see our opponents calling bigger bets (actually we want them all-in with their normal range). But, unfortunately, the bigger your bet will be, the stronger hands you will face.
      In my opinion, the theoretical optimal raise size is 3BB, however, it doesn't provide enough value to cover the adjustments you have to make (both pre&postflop). In other words, it doesn't worth it, imo.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      and about the hand)
      bet 0.4 and fold to a reraise