Rastlin1

• Rastlin1
      Rastlin1
      Bronze
      Hi Coach

My Name is Thomas or Rastlin1 for username

I am from Belfast Northern Ireland and I am 28 years old. Been playing poker non seriously for several years, mostly tournaments in a local club but now I am ready to get my game up to scratch for online cash tables

I started at NL2 and now have my bankroll up to play NL10

I appreciate the direction I will receive from you

thanks
  • 25 replies
    • Rastlin1
      Rastlin1
      Bronze
      Hi I have completed lesson one and below are the answers to the homework

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

I am ambitious and I like to win - Poker is my sport of choice and I love to play smart and out think other opponents. For me poker is more than just making money it is a "test of strength"

I hope that makes sense

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

I have a few that I know of;

1. I sometimes get into sheriff mode and make hero calls
      2. I don't think through the odds properly, that doesn't meant I call every draw but I generalize things like a gut shot is bad, a OESD is good and a Flush with OESD is all in all the time. Not the best system :)

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

Playing TAG means picking your spots with a selective range of hands, if a hands worth calling its worth raising (most of the time) and when you are in a hand you are applying pressure on your opponents through aggressive betting and having position
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

What about tilt, do you have tilt problems? For example against tilt you could use:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course. Some points earned.
    • Rastlin1
      Rastlin1
      Bronze
      Great thank you for the evals already

And yes I think everyone has tilt from time to time, with me its not too often thankfully but I will set stop loss as 3 although I seem not to lose that much just break even of finish half stack down. But hopefully that will change with the right focus and effort from my side and coaching and tips from you and the community

thanks!
    • Rastlin1
      Rastlin1
      Bronze
      Homework 2

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

With AK I have learned not to always just raise as the chart says - its not as strong as it looks and its only still Ace high

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. Yes QQ in the chart says always raise but this can lead to high variance - should I have called as I did on this example

QQ - should I be calling or raising preflop

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo. 46.32% for the AK
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Totally agree about AK, it's way too often overplayed and people go broke way too easily with it while you just coinflip against strong range and might even be far-far behind. But still the hand can easily be overplayed like playing it in multiway pot with AKo. Rather don't do it, rather try to 3bet/Fold.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • Rastlin1
      Rastlin1
      Bronze
      Hi Veriz

Yes I am enjoying the school and appreciate the effort you are putting into it so thanks!

Homework 3

Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53? (Tip: you can use the Equilab to help you with this task.)

Preflop the equity is 50.78% for the KQ

Post flop it would be 26.46%

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)
      No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

I would fold because I think that the only outs that we can rely on are the clubs - I discount the A and the J because with a check raise on this board I do not expect them to be good so that means then with 9 outs we would need 4 to 1 to call but with the pot currently at 0.47 and it costing us 0.22 more to call that only gives 2.1 to 1 and therefore is not good enough

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. (Post your hand in the hand evaluation forum and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

Yes I have lots of questions :) but I am ctrying to post in the hand forums often so I can learn, so here is a link to my latest one.

What should I do?

thanks!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!
    • Rastlin1
      Rastlin1
      Bronze
      Homework 4

Sorry i have been away from learning for a while, a lot of work commitments plus a marriage coming up etc, but I am back and have put a lot of theory into practice and moved my game up to NL 20 now

Question 1

IPoker, $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 8 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP1: $24.61 (123.1 bb)
      MP2: $27.37 (136.9 bb)
      MP3: $9.71 (48.6 bb)
      CO: $36.62 (183.1 bb)
      BTN: $14.35 (71.8 bb)
      SB: $37.66 (188.3 bb)
      BB: $20 (100 bb)
      Hero (UTG+2): $26.74 (133.7 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with K A
      Hero raises to $0.80, 2 folds, MP3 calls $0.80, CO calls $0.80, 3 folds

Flop: ($2.70) A 7 6 (3 players)
      Hero bets $2.02, 2 folds

Results: $2.70 pot ($0.13 rake)
      Final Board: A 7 6
      MP3 mucked and lost (-$0.80 net)
      CO mucked and lost (-$0.80 net)
      Hero mucked K A and won $2.57 ($1.77 net)

Question 2

Nl30 KJo facing raise on turn.
      Question 3

EQ would be 41.41% for the KQ
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you.
    • Rastlin1
      Rastlin1
      Bronze
      Homework 5

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have based your decisions on the stats of your opponents. (Post your hand in the Hand evaluation board, and provide a link to your hand in your private thread.)

Squeezed

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members. (Choose a hand from the Hand evaluation board and post your own evaluation in the thread. Post a link to the hand you have evaluated in your private thread. You can evaluate as many hands as you want, but try to choose hands not yet evaluated by other users first.)

Nl30sh 99

Question 3: Consider the following situation:

Firstly I categorise the SB as a TAG and the BB as a loose passive. When the SB calls I am thinking possible small pair and for BB any Qx, Kx, Ax etc

Here I think I would decide to call behind because I have position, its possible that the SB is pressing on with his mid pair since the flop had no action. By calling here I have the chance to extract more value on the river if he bets again. A raise would result in a worse hand folding. Also the BB calling I expect him to be drawing so would be cautious of that. If river comes blank I expect SB to bet again, BB to fold and Hero to call. If it comes Diamond I expect either checks all round or SB check, BB Bet Hero fold

Maybe this is too passive?

Question 4: Consider the following situation:

In this hand I would love to know what the BU 3bet% is as that would help with the decision as well as Cbet%. I think though given what we know that I would try for a check raise on the flop, If I was re-raised at that point I would probably highly consider a fold putting him on QQ+but again that may be too passive
    • Rastlin1
      Rastlin1
      Bronze
      also Veriz In the coaching video for lesson 5 you mention that you will discuss the stats for short handed in the next coaching session, is that recorded in lesson 6 or somewhere else?

thanks for all you do!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #5 Done!

About Task #3
      It's a very close decision: does protection or pot control weigh heavier here? Do you want to protect against hands like 3x or A:dx and K:dx? Or do you want to control the pot size and try to induce a bluff on the river in case there is no T, no J and no additional ?

Raise/fold is out of question - with the given pot size and the good made hand you have, it can't even be considered.

In case you decide to go broke, you can't really be blamed either. It's not a sign of weakness that the rather tight small blind decides to bet into two people here, though. I would say a call is to be slightly favored, while the many outs against you are annoying. The big blind who calls rather loosely speaks in favor of a raise/broke again. Both options are finally considered equal, which shows - all things considered - how close and full of variance these spots really are.

About Task #4
      You've called pre-flop and then hit a good board. You basically have two choices now: either you assume that your opponent will go broke loosely or puts you on a bluff often and you thus check/raise - or you play check/call in the spirit of way ahead / way behind. The problem with the latter is that there are a lot of cards you don't want to see in the later course of the hand. All in all, it depends on your balancing as both lines make sense under certain circumstances.

A check/fold would be really pointless, of course. It's hard to say whether you should donk-bet here; donk/fold can be discarded as that would turn your hand into a pure bluff and your opponent would interpret this as weakness and start raising you out of flops with hands like AK/AQ/air. So, if you want to donk-bet, it has to be a donk/3-bet.

About the stats, it could be in 7th session. If not then I will definitely cover them in our next 7th coaching. Usually 6th coaching is live private coaching with one of the students.

Good luck on tables and with the Course.
    • Rastlin1
      Rastlin1
      Bronze
      Homework 6

Question 1

Slowplay

Question 2

NL50 SH. KQo, 3bet pot, TP.

Question 3

Question 3: Consider the following situation:
      $25 NL Hold'em (10 handed)

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($25)
      UTG+1 ($25) rock
      UTG+2 ($25)
      MP1 ($25)
      MP2 ($25) LAG
      MP3 ($25) maniac
      CO ($25)
      Hero BU ($25)
      SB ($25)
      BB ($25) calling station

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q , J
      5 folds, MP3 raises $1.00, CO calls $1.00, Hero calls $1.00, 1 fold, BB calls $1.00

Flop: ($4.10) 3 , J , A (4 players)
      BB checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($4.10) Q (4 players)
      BB bets $2.05, 2 folds, Hero...?

I think here I raise, board is very drawy and we want to protect the 2 pair, at the same time I would fold to a reraise. If I get called I would evaluate on the river and consider a value bet if they check to us and a blank comes
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #6 Done!

About Question #3:
      Two lines can quickly be discarded here: fold and raise/fold; your hand is simply too strong for those alternatives.

It's hard to assess whether you should put in a raise here. When a rather passive player decides to bet into three players while being out of position, it does look strong. It's more likely an indication of a made hand than that of a draw.

A raise naturally protects, but you run the risk of isolating yourself against very strong range. Which weaker hands could your opponent possibly continue playing here?

The deciding factor finally comes in the size of the pot. This tiny pot simply isn't worth putting yourself into a tough spot where you could potentially end up risking your entire stack. A raise would be overplayed here and pot control takes the precedent over protection.

Best of Luck on the tables and with the Course.
    • Rastlin1
      Rastlin1
      Bronze
      Homework 7

Question 1

KJs vs Unkown

Question 2

NL20 SH, AJ on A68tt

Question 3

Here I call because we want him to continue betting into us with55+ and Ax which we are ahead of. If we check raise the flop we just make worse hands fold
    • Rastlin1
      Rastlin1
      Bronze
      Hi Coach, I think that I need more work on ranges to help me reduce my WSTD instead of just calling away money in bad spots

Any tips, advice and/or articles to help me on this?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #7 Done!

About Question #3:
      In this case, you decided to bet out yourself and two players behind you go all-in. You would have to invest $8.40 in order to participate in a $22 pot, which corresponds to an equity of 27.63%.

Board: Q 3 2
      Dead:

Equity Win DrawLoss Hand
      Player 1: 38.538% 38.538% 0.000% 61.462% 5h4h
      Player 2: 14.540% 14.540% 0.000% 85.460% QQ+
      Player 3: 46.921% 46.921% 0.000% 53.079% 22-33

You get the required odds even when you're exclusively up against very strong hands!

About Question #4:
      Top pair / top kicker has been and will always be a hand that's tough to play, especially in a multi-way pot. In this case, you've hit a nice flop, but you're up against 3 opponents on a dry board which doesn't allow for any dangerous draws.

A fold on this board is, of course, too weak. You can't really hit much better and there might be worse Ax hands willing to pay you off.

If you think that your opponent(s) is/are often willing to go broke on the flop with worse hands, raising might not be the worst of choices. But one thing is clear: if you raise, you have to go all-in on the flop! Raise/fold with your top pair is absolutely out of question.

Even though this might leave a bitter aftertaste in a 4-way pot, you should play this like a way ahead / way behind spot here - by playing it passive, you will extract the maximum from weaker hands and bluffs while avoiding big losses against stronger hands.

Best of Luck on the Tables.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Rastlin1
      Hi Coach, I think that I need more work on ranges to help me reduce my WSTD instead of just calling away money in bad spots

Any tips, advice and/or articles to help me on this?
      Best tip of course would be to try out using more of Equilab, try discussing more hands and of course post them. Try evaluating more of your sessions which you might not do and also try to start putting on some kind of ranges yourself. The more you will get used to put opponents on a range the more you will be understanding them.
    • Rastlin1
      Rastlin1
      Bronze
      Homework 8

Question 1

Overplayed?

Question 2

[SH] NL50 KJo river vbet

Question 3

I would bet again around 2/3 of pot and go for the value as well as to protect against any high heart calling for the flush

Question 4

1st thing is that as the CO is a TAG we can narrow his range down to AK and QQ+ based on his 3bet. As for the BU I suspect he would be calling with a pocket pair for set mining or possibly suited connectors. On the flop as the button bets out I suspect him to be on a hand like 99, TT, JJ. When CO calls I am confused, I would think if he had AA or KK he would have raised but he could be calling to keep us in pot, potentially has AK as well and is calling. On the river when he raises I am pretty suspicious and think he could have QQ, KK or AK - we are getting about 3.5:1 to call the rest of our stack and think that we should win 1 in every 3 times so here I think that I would make the crying call

but my WTSD is too high so maybe this is the wrong action