[NL2-NL10] NL4; SH; AJo against fish

Bronze
      IPoker, $0.02/$0.04 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $10.51 (262.8 bb)
      UTG: $7.80 (195 bb)
      MP: $4.94 (123.5 bb)
      CO: $2.78 (69.5 bb)
      BTN: $3.36 (84 bb)
      Hero (SB): $4 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A J
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.08, Hero raises to $0.28, BB folds, BTN raises to $0.48, Hero calls $0.20

Flop: ($1) 4 7 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.50, Hero folds

Results: $1 pot ($0.06 rake)
      Final Board: 4 7 2
      BTN mucked and won $0.94 ($0.46 net)
      Hero mucked A J and lost (-$0.48 net)

Our opponent is a massive fish with the following stats:
      VP/PFR/AF/3bt/hands 95/59/1.2/62.5/22

We obviously don't want to fold this hand and we are crushing his range so I decided to 3bet as I suspect him to call extremely often with very bad hands. But then he min4bets. What to make of this? Pushing seems a bit overplayed, but by calling we have to give up on the flop rather often since we miss ~66% of the time.
  • 5 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

Kind of dumb spot but I guess if the guy is a maniac and really has such stats and the same maybe even for 4bet then I'd rather just 5bet it preflop than Call. Since with the Call you wont hit often enough anyways and obviously can't play back against him. But of course with AJo it's somewhat close, I might still wait for more hands/information or better hand.

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      1) So the safe way out, as well as the best way to play the hand, without knowing too much about his 4bet tendencies would be a fold?

2) By 5betting we should go all-in directly against this kind of an opponent, right?

3) Would you suggest a 5bet with AJs+ AQ+?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      1) So the safe way out, as well as the best way to play the hand, without knowing too much about his 4bet tendencies would be a fold?

Yep, exactly. :) We haven't invested much into the pot but we could do that when we continue and then loose a lot.

2) By 5betting we should go all-in directly against this kind of an opponent, right?

Nah, I wouldn't say so. We could still even 5bet to ~$1,50 and let him ship with worse.

3) Would you suggest a 5bet with AJs+ AQ+?

Most likely something similar and depending on my reads and the table dynamic.
      Bronze
      Nah, I wouldn't say so. We could still even 5bet to ~$1,50 and let him ship with worse.

Don't you think that 5betting here might cause problems if he just flats? I mean, what do we do on the flop if we miss? This kind of an opponent most likely would just call a push preflop. I think that pushing here is the superior play.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Avatars91

Don't you think that 5betting here might cause problems if he just flats? I mean, what do we do on the flop if we miss? This kind of an opponent most likely would just call a push preflop. I think that pushing here is the superior play.
      On such a flop and vs his calling range most likely we can still even expect to be ahead with your Ace high and just ship. And of course if we even hit big time like the Ace or anything similar we can always Check/Call.