fold, Hero raises to $0.50, fold, BTN calls $0.50, fold, fold

FLOP ($1.25) 7:club: J:heart: A:spade:

Hero bets $0.85, BTN calls $0.85

TURN ($2.95) 7:club: J:heart: A:spade: 8:spade:

Hero checks, BTN bets $1.65, Hero calls $1.65

RIVER ($6.25) 7:club: J:heart: A:spade: 8:spade: J:diamond:

Hero checks, BTN bets $4.50, Hero folds

BTN wins $5.95

35/27 fold to cbet 32 and a read " call with K4 ( twice) never fold with a pair of kings"

i felt behind againt the read and the VPIP on the turn but still call just to fold the river dumb play
  • 1 reply
    • luizsilveira
      Hi, Shady9966!

Yup, I don't like the call turn/fold river line. In a way you're just giving him money.

If his fold to cbet is so darn low (and you can even consider it's lower since he is in position) I wouldn't mind checking flop. But ok, that is weak and it's a dry board, so cbettting is fine as well.

I doesn't make much sense to bet again on the turn unless you do have a decent read he will call with Jx or gutshots like JT or KQ. But still it's not brilliant as we don't have a nice plan for the river. Nothing has changed on the board and we probably have no improved fold equity as well as we can't (normally) expect to be called by worse. So I'd just check and give up if he bets while I don't have further reads.

I don't like the check/call unless you guys have tons of history and he bluffs way, way too much. Because he will have a value range there as well (even if thin with Ax) so he need to bluff a lot to compensate and make our call profitable. I'd be much more inclined to turn an AT or so into bluffcatcher but I don't think KK there fits the bill and give us enough equity.

So, yeah, ch/f turn in my opinion and way for a better spot; if you ch/c turn, then indeed ch/f river without solid reads and history.

It is unfortunate but your spot is definitively not one in which you'll make money. Even if you can win the pot sometimes, it's very thin, and it doesn't make much difference in the long run... I'd just focus more on spots where you can make money. Against this opponent it shouldn't be too hard, but you really have to try playing him in position whenever possible.